We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night and Day Markets?

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Night and Day Markets?

Hi Guys,

We will only be in LP for a few days and the long haired on does like to shop..... So what I am after is specific info on a market area for day and night shopping, and if it has a couple of bars for me to hide in then all the better.

We will be staying in the Muang Thong Hotel in the town centre any photos would be a welcome addition

Thanks in advance

Sharx

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night and Day Markets?

Night market is fab ... it's at the end of the main street near the base of Mt Phusin ... you can't miss them.

Plenty of places to hide nearby

Day markets are more for locals & food shopping but if your OH wants to visit these ... you might like the collection of presidential cars hidden away at the back of the Royal Palace Museum

Also, make sure you have a Beer Lao (or Beer Lao dark if you see it) and a basket of Mekong River Weed at one of the little restaurants that line the Mekong - fab way to end the day

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Night and Day Markets?

Plenty to keep you both busy - the main street is lined with both shops and bar/cafe/restaurants. You can wander all day and not be bored. And as thmoore says, the night market is great. it stretches for ages and sells all sorts of markety stuff - you won't be disappointed! If she likes jewellery, the long-haired one will be very happy. There is heaps of 'silver' (maybe real, maybe not, I can't be sure) in necklaces and bracelets, and a myriad of earrings. Also many shops selling beautiful scarves.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Night and Day Markets?

Cheers Guys

That's just what I needed to know, we can both have a good time, she can shop till she drops and I can have a malt sandwich in a bar somewhere.

OK thmoore I could use a bit of information an the Beer Loa Dark that you mentioned, as a Guinness drinker this is of interest to me. So give it up.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Night and Day Markets?

Beer Lao is lovely - and I am not a beer drinker (don't like that 'hoppy' taste much)- my hubby is though - here in Oz I sook out and have a shandy but BL is yum!

Beer Lao Dark ... I didn't like it as much as the 'regular' but my OH loved it and if you are a guinness drinker it should be right up your alley. It's been a couple of years since we visited but I understand it is easier to get now - might be a bit of a treasure hunt for you while the long haired one does some of her own retail therapy.

Regulars Rufuscat and bluecramp will certainly be able to provide lots of pretty specific location clues.

cheers

helen

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Night and Day Markets?

Cheers once more for your remarkable incites, its people like you that make TA what it is today, should I send the two posters in question a PM to find out the bars I need to visit?

One more thing, did you have a favourite bar when you were there and if so tell me what it was and I will make them a very good day on your behalf..

thanks once more Sharx

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,231 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Night and Day Markets?

Sharx... we didn't really have a favourite 'bar' ... just used to wander down to the riverside and see who was open.

YOu should ask John C (who answered your bar question - that's what reminded me) directly - I have a feeling he runs one.. (though TA rules on self promotion will proably stop him admitting it, I'm sure a quick PM will get you the info you need... *wink*

cheers

helen

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Night and Day Markets?

Onyer mate A nod is as good as a wink to a galloping horse **

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Night and Day Markets?

Yes! Beer Lao and Beer Lao Dark - I can vouch for those, too (as can my beer tester!). It's sold anywhere where Beer Lao is sold (so, anywhere!). In the opinion of my Mr, it should be first choice, and is a tiny bit more expensive (about 10c in our speak), but is well worth the extra.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,091 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Night and Day Markets?

Don't want to put a damper on things, but I am not a fan of the nm. There is a lot of Chinese tat for sale. For really quality stuff look at the small shops.

I am also not fan beer Lao dark, though some of my friends, inc Helen above, love it. I find of too sweet for me. Beer Lao otoh....There are plenty of small bars by the riverside to keep you busy. Get your wife to look at the wet market as well.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Night and Day Markets?

Not a big fan of Dark Beer Lao, but the normal Beer Lao is a great beer, one of my favourite foreign beer (you cannot beat German beer ;) ). I liked the beer in Cambodia and I had another try of Angkor Beer (which I really enjoyed when I visited Cambodia), and I just realise how good Beer Lao is in comparison to other Aisan beer I had before. I wish I could get it here in the UK.

Regarding the Night market, there are some great things to buy. I was lucky that I found a lil stall that sold only lamps, and the quality was superior to the cheaper ones. So it is worthwhile to check the different stalls. I actually fully enjoyed walking past all stalls.

I also really enjoyed the morning market off the main street near the Wat that is next to the palace. I loved the hustle there early in the morning, and it is nice place to have some breakfast (or snacks).