We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

Polanica Zdroj...
3 posts
Save Topic
Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

Hello!

We're traveling to Laos in july and will stay for 9 day. now I'm thinking of going to four cities but not sure whether it's too much for 9 days. so here's what I've decided:

2 days in Vientiane

bus straight to Luang Prabang in the morning which take almost a day!

3 days in LP

2 days in Vang Vieng

1 day in Vientiane

Should I also go for some other city like Muang Ngoi?

Which one is a better place to go kayaking or rafting? what other activities are possible?

Any tips or suggestions, something you enjoyed that is not in every article about Laos?

Thanks!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,262 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

I assume you are arriving and leaving Laos from Vientiane?

I would only focus on Vientiane, LP and VV. considering the travelling involved, adding anything else would mean you sit more in a bus than enjoying the country.

I would suggest two days in Vientiane, then travel to VV (4 hours by bus). As you like kayaking do it in VV, so maybe stay two nights there. Then take the bus to LP (full day) to stay three days there, then fly back to Vientiane, to leave Laos the following day (should be nine days).

There is def no room for a travel to any other places like Nong Khiaw or Muang Ngoi

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

I think your itinerary is fine. I would not include any more sites in a limited time frame such as this.

Polanica Zdroj...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

Thanks for your input scotsman and rufuscat!

And yes, we arrive in Vientiane and also fly out from there.

Great! so the rest of Laos has to wait for another trip.

I know the Vientiane to LP road take about nine hours, but I've heard that it's worth it as the scenery is supposedly stunning. and the bus ticket is 1/5 the price of the plane ticket. you think it's better to spend that time in the city?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,723 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

We visited Laos in July a couple of years ago - we encountered several very heavy late afternoon downpours - make sure you have a lightweight rain poncho or umbrella and be prepared that the bus from LP to VV may be slower than scheduled - if they have heavy rain, landslides on the first half of this journey are a real possibility - and yes, the scenery is stunning!

and another vote for not trying to squeeze in another place - life moves slowly in this part of the world - give yourself time to soak up the atmosphere and have a beer Lao & a basket of Mekong Riverweed - one of life's little pleasures.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 07:37
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,274 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

Well, since you ask. I would fly, but some people enjoy the scenery. Personally I think you can see it from the air and also if you take a boat trip along the Mekong.

Polanica Zdroj...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

Three cities it is!

Thanks again for the advice. can't wait to get there!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

I would recommend flying, or at least flying from Vientiane to Luang Prabang and work your way down. Yes the scenery is beautiful but it's called the "puke bus" for a reason.

It's a full day's journey from Luang Prabang to Muang Ngoi because you have to change buses in Oudomxay and the road from LP to Oudomxay is horrendous. Luang Prabang to Nong Kiaw is only 3-4 hours.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,262 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

Missi, it doesn't take a full day trip to Muang Ngoi. You take the bus to Nong Khiaw (3-4 hours), and then the boat which takes an hour. No need to go via Oudomxai.

But as stated by a few now, Muang Ngoi would not be feasible anyway for a 9 day trip.

In regards of bus vs plane. If you want to stop in VV, you should take one route up by bus, otherwise you would need to head back to Vientiane and then fly. Not worthwhile. But def take a plane for the return trip (doing the bus journey twice would be too much...would def invest money for a plane ticket)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

I would skip too long in vientiene and fly down to pakse. 1 hourish on plane. Its quieter less touristy. Wat Phu if u go early possibly just u there! 4,000 islands on the mekong. U can stay on some of them don Khone is a good one to get into real Laos life. Pakse itself not much but a good hub. My fave place is luang prabang tho. I could happily sit and watch the world go by here. Dont miss kuang si when u go here. July august is low season so nicer. Lush green not many tourists. May get a quick downpour but usually over in 30 mins. Brolly or plastic ponchos needed.Also take an elephant ride I did it down south, but lits of activities available in luang prabang main street shops have a great trip

Edited: 25 June 2014, 12:54
Chicago
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts on 9-day itinerary for Laos?

Are there overnight train/bus options to save on travel time?