We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upstream or downstream on the Mekong?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Upstream or downstream on the Mekong?

Hello everyone,

Most of the posts I am seeing are from people who went from Chiang Khong to Luang Prabang, but economically I will be coming from Hanoi (late July 2014) and going all the way to Chiang Rai first is so expensive. Has anyone gone upstream from LP to Huai Xai? I can do this tour on the Nagi and I'm wondering if it's just as good. Another question- am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this that I haven't thought of? Are there some genius flight finding techniques? I was looking not long ago and the flights to Chiang Rai were only $182 from Hanoi to CR, but they have now jumped and they want me to wait around at BKK for 20 hours. The Mekong tour is such a highlight, so I don't want to skip it. Thanks so much for all your help!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upstream or downstream on the Mekong?

Why not fly from Hani to LP directly on Vietnam Airlines as there are 2 flights a day?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,488 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upstream or downstream on the Mekong?

Hi,

The journey upstream is just as good as the journey downstream, same scenery, same boats, same overnight in Pak Beng. If anything it's nicer as there are fewer pax so more space to spread.

Cheers

3. Re: Upstream or downstream on the Mekong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 06:16