We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit of Muang Kwiah or longer stay in Luang Prabang?

Mannheim
Level Contributor
104 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Visit of Muang Kwiah or longer stay in Luang Prabang?

After reading all the posts , how long to stay in Luang Prabang and what to do there, I am not sure , how I should manage our stay in Luang Prabang.

We could have 8 fully days in Luang Prabang, before going upstream on the Mekong.Before our stay we will travel from Vientiane to Vang Vieng ( 3 nights) and Plain of Jars ( 2 nights).

My first idea was to go to Mung Khiaw for 3 or 4 nights, to do a day cruise on Nam Ou river upstream and relax. We are older people and not keen to do trekking or other outdoor activities..

Then we have only 3 or 4 fully days in Luang Prabang. I also want to visit the waterfall nearby.

Now I am not sure , if it is worth to do the 3 or 4 hour trip one way to Muang Khiaw. Or should I stay all the time in Luang Prabang and do a private Mekong cruise to visit the villages etc.

I am also interested in elefants.

What is your opinion about my trip?

Mannheim
Level Contributor
104 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit of Muang Kwiah or longer stay in Luang Prabang?

Who can help me with my decision?

No recommendations regarding Muang Kwiah (3 or 4 nights) ?

Thanks

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
8,262 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit of Muang Kwiah or longer stay in Luang Prabang?

Firstly, I assume you refer to Nong Khiaw, and not Muang Ngoi (which is an hour upstream from Nong Khiaw).

Personally I loved both places, and if you have 8 days in LP I would head north for three days (considering it is a 4 hour bus ride to NK - so you would have 2x 1/2 days and one full day. It is a very laid back place with a beautiful scenery. I hired a bike there and cycled to some of the caves nearby, but not sure this is something you would be interested in.

I then would remain for 5 full days in LP - it is just such a great place. You could spend 2-3 days in the town itself, and spent 1/2 day at the waterfall (maybe just hiring your own Tuk Tuk or car) - definitely worthwhile, You could also do a cooking class during a full day. I enjoyed mine via Tamarind Restaurant. Could be something different to the other touristy bit.

Haven't done anything around elephants in LP, so cannot provide any advise here

Just a few thoughts

Thung Chang...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit of Muang Kwiah or longer stay in Luang Prabang?

Elephants: I visited a small camp in Pak Ou village, at the "intersection" with the Nam Ou river.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit of Muang Kwiah or longer stay in Luang Prabang?

I also recommend 2 nights in Muang Khiaw - great little place.

For elephants, there are at least 2 camps near LP. In 2011 I had a half day ride in the forest and through the river for $25, so it might be $30 by now. It was with the "all lao elephant camp" about 10km from LP.

Mannheim
Level Contributor
104 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit of Muang Kwiah or longer stay in Luang Prabang?

Thank you for your comments. It helps me to decide, that we should go to Muang Khiaw.

6. Re: Visit of Muang Kwiah or longer stay in Luang Prabang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2015, 05:15