We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Aleppo - Northern Syria, Northern Lebanon, or Turkey?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
From Aleppo - Northern Syria, Northern Lebanon, or Turkey?

I will be visiting Damascus and Palmyra in mid May and then in late May meeting up with a friend in Aleppo. We will have eight days before we have to fly back to the UK. I am interested in recommendations as to towns, cities and attractions we could explore that are of interest in Northern Syria, Northern Lebanon, or Southern Turkey. We will have multi-entry Syrian visas, so can fly home from Aleppo or from Turkey. I am guessing that we can't combine all three countries in the time available, so I am really interested in which one to focus on. When we visited Syria before, we greatly enjoyed the Souks of Damascus and Aleppo, and of course the Roman remains. We have also previously enjoyed the mountains of Lebanon. So I am interested in people's views about the tourist attractions we could see, bearing in mind that we wouldn't want to spend more than a couple of the six days cooped up on a bus.

Aleppo Citadel
Ancient Ruins, Architectural Buildings, Castles, Historic Sites, Military Bases & Facilities
Old City
Historic Sites, Neighbourhoods
Saint Simon Citadel (Sam’an Citadel, Qalat Samaan)
Historic Sites, Military Bases & Facilities
bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: From Aleppo - Northern Syria, Northern Lebanon, or Turkey?

whitstablite

Doing my first trip to the ME in a few weeks time so cannoot offer anything there. I also only started branching out in Turkey on 2 trips last year but the South-East does seem to offer a lot. I am actually starting my homeward journey with a flight from Hatay but unless there is a major deterioration in things in the Lebanon I will not have any time to spend on Antakya etc.

My knowledge there is largely theoretical but there does seem to be enough interesting things to see in SE Turkey to have made me want to pencil it in for future sidetrips. You could easily work your way up the coast to Antalya or even a bit further to the Fethiye area (fly home from Dalaman).

I did though visit Cappadocia in October. No idea if you have been there but, if not, it is on my list of must see destinations. With 8 days to play with you could spend 3 or 4 of them easily working your way up there - 3 days there would be good but more would definitely be better.

As suggested my flights back are Hatay - Istanbul - Stansted with Pegasus. Had a quick look for early June on

flypgs.com

and, as long as you avoid weekend flights, Hatay to Stansted or Kayseri to Stansted can be had for around £85 all in. The changeover in Istanbul is a short one and you should find that you can check your hold baggage through to Stansted and be given an online boarding pass for the 2nd leg.

If Turkey interests you try posting on the main Turkey Forum. You will get lorts of good suggestions for an itinerary.

John

Zutphen
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Aleppo - Northern Syria, Northern Lebanon, or Turkey?

Nice plan.

When you are in Aleppo (And your friend can tell you) you can easy take from Aleppo to Beirut or Tripoli the bus. (600 SYP for the bus ticket per way & 600 SYP for the border passing)

And the travel time will be apx 6 hours. If you go early in the Morning you can spend the day time there and evening back.

If that is to much, it is great to spend a night in Beirut. That city is realy alive and very "western".

When you are there you will find an Arabick, Christian mix.Very Cool

damascus
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Aleppo - Northern Syria, Northern Lebanon, or Turkey?

hiiii

i think if you are in aleppo , you are much closer to south turkey

Solihull, UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Aleppo - Northern Syria, Northern Lebanon, or Turkey?

If you like Aleppo, you'll probably like Urfa in SE Turkey. You can get there by bus from Antakya (the mosaic museum is well worth seeing there). If you decide to go west into Turkey, please be aware that although the distances don't look too much on a map, the roads are full of hills and bends and the journey can take quite a while. If you don't mind a long-ish bus journey, you could travel west to Kizkalesi - Armenian castles, loads of ruins and natural wonders close by, fantastic beach and very much off the beaten track as it's not easy to get to. It's about 3 hours by bus from Adana.

5. Re: From Aleppo - Northern Syria, Northern Lebanon, or Turkey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 07:23