We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

businesswomen in Jeddah, must abaya be all black?

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
businesswomen in Jeddah, must abaya be all black?

I can't seem to find a straight answer to this question. I will be travelling to Jeddah on business soon, and went to buy an abaya in the US. Very nice man in the store said it was ok to have a colorful abaya, but everything else I see says the abaya must be black. Is it ok to have bits of color? Must an abaya be solid black? If some color is ok, how much is too much?

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
213 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: businesswomen in Jeddah, must abaya be all black?

Not so sure about Jeddah, but in Riyadh and Dammam I have only ever seen a non-black abaya on 1 or 2 occasions over the last 20-years.

You do see a good number of abayas with colourful designs sewn into the back or sleeves, particularly with younger ladies around modern shopping malls.

If one was to wear a non-black abaya I think it would only serve to draw unwanted attention to yourself, so I’d recommend you go with the flow, wear black and be the grey-man!

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: businesswomen in Jeddah, must abaya be all black?

Agre with JGLKI - the norm is black abaya, its better to conform.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,267 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: businesswomen in Jeddah, must abaya be all black?

Hi,

While the majority of women do wear black abayas a few wear brown ones, I noticed this a week ago in my local clinic. However, as suggested above you are better off conforming and keeping attention away from yourself.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: businesswomen in Jeddah, must abaya be all black?

Agree with the above posts. One should endeavour not to stand out in Saudi. All it will create is more attention to oneself. eg. all women there wear basic unadorned black abayas. Suddenly a woman comes along wearing one a different colour or with fancy adornments. Is she gonna stand out or not?

There is your answer.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
90 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: businesswomen in Jeddah, must abaya be all black?

You will see lots of colourful abayas in Jeddah. If the abaya is mainly black, with a bit of colourful trim you should be fine. For business it is more professional to stick to mainly black. In Riyadh it is almost impossible to find anything but black abayas but that is not the case in Jeddah, and as a Westerner you'll stand out anyway.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: businesswomen in Jeddah, must abaya be all black?

Hi there, if this is your first trip to The Kingdom, I would suggest to be subtle and wear a simple black Abaya. Enjoy your trip!

N S
Toronto
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: businesswomen in Jeddah, must abaya be all black?

I have bought an airticket from Jeddah to London but the Visa office doesn't give me a travel visa unless I have confirmed a booking with a local Jeddah travel agent. Would youl please help me out where to find an legitimate travel agent in Jeddah?

Many thanks for your help.

8. Re: businesswomen in Jeddah, must abaya be all black?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 06:41