We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about weather and Ramadan

United States
Level Contributor
493 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Question about weather and Ramadan

We're a middle-aged couple interested in going to Dubai for 5* hotels, fine dining, and high-end shopping. We've considered splitting our stay between a hotel near the shops and one on the beach. We like HOT weather and water; the water needs to be above 82 degrees F for me to get in. We're looking at May or June, but Ramadan falls during that time this year. I'd like to be able to drink water and maybe a cocktail while relaxing on the beach near our hotel. Is this permissible? Should we avoid Ramadan? If we go in early May before Ramadan, would the water be warm enough for me?

Camel Company
Gift & Speciality Shops
Glitz & Glamore
Gift & Speciality Shops
10 replies to this topic
Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about weather and Ramadan

https:/…dubai-may.htm

Ramadan will start around 15 May 2018 so the water should be warm enough for you. Hotels may well have started chilling their pools by then though. As for being able to enjoy a cocktail on the beach during the day during Ramadan, that will depend on what the rules will be next year. There is no guarantee that, because hotels were able to serve alcohol before sunset this year, hotels will be able to do the same next year.

United States
Level Contributor
493 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about weather and Ramadan

Thanks for the reply! Maybe we'll try to go for the week before Ramadan. We don't go to clubs, but we enjoy a cocktail on the beach (usually only one per day) and a bottle of wine with a nice dinner. We would also occasionally have an after-dinner drink at a lounge if we're still awake enough after dinner.

Edited: 25 September 2017, 22:01
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,176 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about weather and Ramadan

Alcohol is served after sunset so from what you say the only thing you want to do that you won't be able to do during Ramadan is a cocktail on the beach

United States
Level Contributor
493 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about weather and Ramadan

I also read that it was inappropriate to drink even water in public places. I don't think that I could spend a day at the beach without drinking anything. Is this correct?

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
12,584 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about weather and Ramadan

Yes you can not drink in public places or public beach. However beach hotels 'usually' have relaxed rules during Ramadan especially for water on the beach so most probably next year will be the same. If you do not want to have any sort of constraints then pick the last week before Ramadan starts.

Edited: 26 September 2017, 04:38
Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about weather and Ramadan

We have been to Dubai during Ramadan and it was a beautiful time to visit, very peaceful and still plenty of things to do. If you pick a 5 star Hotel there is every chance you will be able to drink soft drinks during the day and on the beach attached to the hotel (eg The Ritz, or any of the Jumeirah beach hotels).

As for the cocktail, I too love a pina colada during the day but instead I had an alcohol free one and waited until sunset. Seriously if that is the only thing concerning you, please don't let it put you off visiting at such a lovely time. I am a very straightforward, no nonsense sort of a person and even I was moved by the spiritual feeling you get during Ramadan when you hear the call to prayer.

You will get your fine dining in abundance, yes there are some restrictions during Ramadan but honestly, had we not been outside of Ramadan we would barely have noticed any difference (cheaper as well so that's a bonus)!

West Midlands
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about weather and Ramadan

I've been to Dubai three times this year. One time was during Ramadan and personally, if you are travelling for the type of holiday you've described, I would avoid that period. You will be expected to observe rules regarding no drinking and eating in public (there will be somewhere you can privately drink water in hotels but not alcohol during sunrise and sunset and many restaurants will be closed. If you do decide on a hotel near the shops I'd recommend the palace downtown right next to Dubai mall and the fountains. It's not near a beach though.

Beirut
Level Contributor
941 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about weather and Ramadan

Hi,

One of my visits was during April and i was able to swim easily and getting a lovely tan 😉 If you want to avoid Ramadan's restrictions try to be there beginning of May this will give you two weeks before the start of the holy month, or wait after the second week of June .

Regards

United States
Level Contributor
493 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about weather and Ramadan

Thank you for all of the replies. I always carry a bottle of water with me (especially when shopping), so I wouldn't want to have to worry about not being able to drink while shopping in the Dubai mall.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,176 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about weather and Ramadan

But you can have a drink in Dubai Mall during Ramadan - the food court has a section for those that are no fasting and you can always nip into a toilet cubicle if you want to drink from a water bottle.

Reply to: Question about weather and Ramadan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted