We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3,761 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

Just to alert any newcomers to Dubai, that jay walking is being closely watched in Dubai and can carry a nasty fine.

gulfnews.com/news/…

18 replies to this topic
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,890 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

I think a lot of those people die crossing SZR and the like so I imagine that's what authorities are most concerned about rather than smaller roads in residential areas.

Dubai, United Arab...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

I would like to know what if I didn't get paid the penalty of jaywalking in a small street for more than a month is there any additional penalty !?and can u please help me ,I would like to know where will I get my Emirates ID to pay my penalty I was caught in deira union

Dubai
Level Contributor
381 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

The police are in plain clothes and issue tickets to those crossing streets near metro stations when there is an underpass or overpass available. Or, for example, in Karama, where there is a crosswalk available in front of Al Attar shopping centre on Kuwait Street. People get fines in this area for willy-nilly crossing the street; a lot of effort has been put into making crosswalks and underpasses and the like.

Nobody in Dubai walks across SZR, and so this is not their concern.

>> angelshaw, if they gave you a ticket when you didn't possess Emirates ID, you can likely pay it without presenting it also; indeed, likely you can pay it on-line. For fines related to cars there is no additional penalty for not paying a ticket within a certain time period, and so likely that is the same for your ticket. However, to renew your license plates, you would have to clear all fines first. What information did you give them? You can probably view the information on-line if you go to the police website. I normally go there and check for fines before renewing my car plates so I am not taken by surprise by some fine when I am in RTA office. I doubt that there will be a surcharge; does it say on the ticket that the fine must be paid within a certain time? I doubt it ...

Edited: 01 June 2018, 19:16
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,890 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

''Nobody in Dubai walks across SZR, and so this is not their concern.''

Unless there's been a change in workers' behaviour that statement is incorrect. I remember reading about the deaths in the past.

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/dubai-pedestr…

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
8,346 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

People believe a paper barcode can detect a jay walker?

Dubai
Level Contributor
381 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

<<Unless there's been a change in workers' behaviour that statement is incorrect. I remember reading about the deaths in the past.>>

SZR is specifically mentioned in this article as one of the highways with overpasses (and therefore nobody need try to dart over 2 consecutive 6 lane highways) ... didn't you notice?

Additionally, kindly point to the labour camp that abuts SZR and therefore gives the labourers a possible need to cross. Umm Suqiem Road is specifically mentioned in the article (which is no surprise since it is nearby Al Quoz where there is a significant number of labour camps.)

I repeat: Nobody in Dubai walks across SZR.

And your article falls short of contradicting that statement.

And, actually, yes I do think that losing a months wages just might bring about "a change in workers' behaviour." Certainly *you* have been one to trumpet how safe Dubai is; and just why do you think that is?? That's right ... penalties for misbehaviour.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

Obviously the man who crossed SZR between Emirates Towers and Financial Centre metro stations at around 7am one morning in late March was a figment of my imagination ...

Dubai
Level Contributor
381 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

Probably ...

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,890 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

hugedxb, cookie is obviously thinking of a completely different SZR to the one you and I know people do cross.

10. Re: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2018, 12:30
Edited: 06 August 2018, 12:30

Reply to: Jay Walking carries a AED400 fine in Dubai - tourists beware
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted