We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

leeds
Level Contributor
675 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

Jane

I noticed in one of your posts that you are planning on booking the airport lounge in dubai. we too are planning on doing this for when we come back. i think its about £20 pp, and seems to be worth it. our flight goes back at midnight so it means we can relax in the lounge in the evening. do you know if kids are allowed in the lounge and if they will have food available.

from memory i read that it can be booked when you check in, is that what you will be doing?

we are thinking that it will probably be the best option for us as we will be in the airport for a few hours and there'll be food and snacks for the kids.

would love to hear from anyone who has used it!

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

I assume you mean the Maharba lounge? We used it when we returned from Dubai on 25 March as our flight left at 3 am. It cost 80 dhms each, so just over £11 and for that, you get snacks (sandwiches, cakes, crisps, peanuts, hot and cold drinks (including alcohol), and a small selection of hot dishes, mostly curry i think.

There were comfortable leather seats, mags and newspapers and internet access available. I didn't see any children in there, but I would think as long as they are quiet and well-behaved there wouldn't be a problem.

No child-specific amenities as far as I saw tho.

We didn't pre-book it, just turned up at the lounge entrance and paid our entry.

Jules

united kingdom
Level Contributor
459 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

Hi Saara,

Nice to see you on here again

I haven't made any bookings yet for a lounge on departure but that is what I am planning to do, just for a nice end to our trip.

Our flight leaves at 3.40pm i think, so we will probably breakfast, check out and then head straight to the airport.

I have membership of 'priority pass' lounges with a credit card of mine so I can either use the DCA business class lounge or the Marhaba lounge, I think the Marhaba lounge is £10 - £11 and the DCA bus class lounge will be £15. I have looked about and can't find a mention re Children on either lounge but I would suspect that the Marhaba lounge will be fine with kids, you may have to email them to double check - they are quite good at replying.

I have booked the 'meet and greet' for our arrival so i will see how that goes before sorting anything out for the return.

Another week closer now and just 2 more weeks before I have to pay the balance of our trip! aaaarrrgggh! oh well, at least it's out of the way then and I can concentrate on saving the spending money!!

Not sure if we will do much 'jewellery' shopping now, splashed out unexpectedly in Goa! Just waiting for the jewellers valuation to come back now to see if we've been 'robbed' or not!! lol.

Had a disappointment re Indego, tried to book for hubby's birthday night and it's closed every Saturday!! so I think we may go for Pisces instead.

keep us posted on any more plans you've made,

Jane

leeds
Level Contributor
675 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

thank you both for the replies.

£11 does sound a good deal. we usually spend 5 times that in airports just getting a meal and some drinks, so we will probably be using the lounge on our way back. its very reasonably priced and will make us feel like we're on holiday for a few more hours.

once we check out during the day and sulk for the day we can then come to the airport early, check in and then we'll have somewhere nice to chill till the flight. i will email them today and ask if kids are allowed in.

jane - how was Goa (u globe trotter you)! hope you had loads of good curries and a nice tan.

London, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

Sorry to hijack the thread, Jane, when are you going?

I'll be there 23-29 May and Yorky (Jayne) will be there 18-25 May. Just wondered if there's any more May gals going!!

Una x

leeds
Level Contributor
675 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

Jane

which credit card do you have which gives you the pass. I did the google search and have found that quite a few offer it. Morgan Stanley offer a priority pass for the lounge and travel insurance. I qualify to get the card. do you think i should apply for it? IT would save me paying for the lounge and for travel insurance?

So, all i have to do is get approved for the card and once i have it i am entitled to all the benefits (incl free travel insurance)? is that right? it sounds a bit too goof to be true!

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

Saara

I get 2 full priority passes with American Express Centurion, Amex Platinum used to give one pass but I believe you now get 2 with that one as well. That's for the charge cards not credit cards so you have to pay the balance off in full every month plus they charge a fee.

Platinum will cost 300 pounds a year but you get the mutts nuts travel insurance covering everybody you can think of and the 2 priority passes are worth over 500 quid. You also get a Hilton Gold card with decent benefits as well, free upgrades to exec floors etc.

Centurion is more expensive but you'll need to be invited for that one.

Be careful which pass is issued with which credit card, the lower membership will still charge 15 Pounds per visit. The middle gets you 10 free visits and charges thereafter, full membership receives unlimited visits but still charges if you take a guest in.

Must admit I've never used mine as I always had free lounge access with KLM, however my travel dropped off drastically so no doubt it'll come in handy in the future.

More details on the link below

www.prioritypass.com/Aff/Index2.cfm/…

americanexpress.com/pes/…compare_charge.shtml

united kingdom
Level Contributor
459 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

Saara, I think my card is the AMEX Travel Card or something like that, I don't tend to use it as my regular card but I do get full Family Worldwide Travel Insurance. As the other poster says make sure you check which type of membership it is for the Priority Pass, my card covers the membership fee but I still have to pay £15 each time I use a lounge, but since I can't afford to fly business or first it usually gets you into a better lounge than the standard passenger lounges at a lot of airports.

Check the T&C's carefully before getting the card or ring them to double check first but the Travel Insurance is always worth having, if it is a Full Policy - some cards only cover you if you book the holiday on the card, but this is not the case with mine.

Also something to bear in mind, have a look at the Sirrus card (google for it) I've applied for one as we are going to be dining/drinking a bit in the Jumeirah hotels (Burj, Mina, Al Qasr) and you can earn points for every pound you spend. I think SLWATKINS has posted on here before about that. You might as well have it, it's free!

Hi Una,

We go 27th June until 3rd July so i'm afraid we'll just miss each other.

Looking forward to hearing from you on your return though (and Yorky).

united kingdom
Level Contributor
459 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

ps: Goa was great, not long enough! but a nice rest (after i'd recovered from the flights!) The beach was great, food excellent and it was very very hot - fortunately there was a breeze on the beach. At lease I have an idea what to expect in Dubai in June now!

J

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

Saara, be aware that if you try to check in too early for your flight you may be stuck at the airport with your bags...

We flew BA and couldn't check in until 3 hours before the flight, and you have to check your bags before you can get through to the lounges.

Luckily we only had to wait 30 mins or so, but it was in an area after they x-ray your cases and there were hardly any seats available.

Might be worth checking with your airline how early check in opens.

Enjoy your trip!

leeds
Level Contributor
675 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: have you used the Dubai airport lounge (janeymates?)

thanks jane and vegasfan.

so much to organise! cant complain though. thanks for that infor vegasfan, i will liaise with LRM about getting them to check our flight return times etc. Jane, am probably not gonna bother with getting a card and will pay for the lounge on the day of arrival if we need it. with kids you can never plan too far ahead, ie we might get to the airport bang on time for the flight or decide to hang around the hotel for a bit longer. hubby thinks we should pay a bit more and have a late checkout the day we leave instead of getting to the airport early. we might try and book one room for all of us to chill in.

cannot wait to go. we will just miss you jane as we arrive on the 4 July (it was supposed to be on the 1 July but it has changed). can't wait to read your report, any chance of you posting an interim trip report when you get there on the 27th? it'll whet my appetite and build up the excitement!