We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm Back! Excellent Time

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
I'm Back! Excellent Time

Dear All,

So depressed being back in London. The weather is freezing and rainy unlike Dubai where it was 38 degress minimum!!

We had an excellent time in Dubai. Went from 2-10 May.

We flew with Gulf Air, who I may add were quite good to fly with seeing as we only paid £323 for 2 adults and an infant!! Not each but for 3 of us!! The Sky nanny was very friendly and my 13 mth old took to her immediatley. Going and coming back wer both night flights so the little 1 stayed asleep most of the time.

We arrived at Dubai airport and a Porshe Cayenne arranged by the Sheraton Dubai Creek where we were staying picked us up. It was lovely. We picked up a couple of bottles of wine from the duty free shop near baggage reclaim and changed some money. The rate was 7.23 dirhams to the £. Wish we had bought some more booze though!

We got to the hotel and had to wait about 2 hrs for our room, but it wasn't bad because the lobby area etc was lovely. The staff were very friendly. Then we also got upgraded to a Creek view room which had a balcony. Was very nice.

Some people have complained about The Sheraton Dubai Creek, but I have no complaints, loved it. Pool area nice and clean, smaller than the other hotels but was more than enough for us.

One night we went to the in-house Indian restaurant Ashianas. It was bliss. The food was delicious, the service great. Such a nice atmosphere, they had a live band playing music.

Other nights ate in restaurants around Dubai, sometimes fastfood. Was good.

Days were spent shopping!! visited most of the malls. Wasn't impressed with the Wafi shopping centre. Was quite boring and was later advised most of the residents went to this mall.

Went to the Gold souk, bouht a few pieces of jewellery. Went back to a shop called Le PAris Diamons where my wedding and engagement rings were both bought in 2004. They polished the rings, changed my husband's ring, made it smaller and allowed him to change the design. I also took some old 22 ct jewellery that I no longer where. They bought it from me and I paid the difference for a anklet for my daughter.

We also visited a few electronic shops near, spent loads!! Bought a Nintendo Wii, a camcorder, a digital camera for my sister and an original ipod nano all for about £550. Bargain or what!!

Another favourite place was Karama. It was great. bought quite a few fake things from here!

bought some ralph lauren t-shirts and shirts. Hubby bought some D and G shoes! 2 suits, 1 Louis Vuitton and 1 Hugo Boss, also had them tailored there to fit! Went to Walencia - which was shut down by the police! they got caught. but lucky for us there were some guys hanging around the shop who took us to their undercover shop around the corner. Bought a couple of wallets from there and some Ralph Lauren zip up tops.

Also some Ray bay sunglasses.

All in all, had a great time and can't wait to go back.

Forgot to add, thought Madinat Souk was really good. We had a photographer who took some nice photos of us near the Burj.

My daughter absolutely loved Dubai, all the people were all child friendly and accomdating.

Nothing bad to say, no complaints. Were just out to enjoy ourselves, which we did indeed.

Hope you enjoyed my review.

Thx

xx

London
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm Back! Excellent Time

Hiya Tweet

Great to read your report, and glad you had such an excellent time over there.

leeds
Level Contributor
675 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm Back! Excellent Time

tweet

i lot of people have mentioned ashianas - wot kind of food id there and what did you have? how much did it come to? i think it was mentioned in the time out guide as a really good place.

would kids be allowed in?

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm Back! Excellent Time

saara123leeds

Ashianas is an indian restaurant with all the usual indian dishes. Plenty of vegetarian choices too.

We ordered a coke, a bottle of sparkling water, 2 beers, 2 starters, panner tikka and chicken masala, for mains we had chicken biryani, plain rice - which was delicious, nice and fluffy! Paneer Makhani. The main dish portion sizes were huge. the whole bill came up to about £41 which wasn't bad at all. Like I said before the ambience was lovely, dimmed lighting, live band playing music. Children are more than welcome. My daughter aged 13 mths was with us, dropping food on the floor as you can imagine, but there were no signs of the staff being annoyed. They were very helpful, courteous, nice and helped with the high chair.

There was also another family there with a child about 4 yrs old.

No complaints at all. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

england
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm Back! Excellent Time

Hi tweet, wonderfull report thank you for sharing it with us, were you not worried at all about going off with those guy's. also can I ask how much the suit cost, i would love to get one for hubbie whilst we are there also again can i ask how much you piad for the WII and does it work here in england.

glad to hear you had a great time and what a bargin you got on the flights, we are going next week so i have noted down the name of the indian restraunt you went too.

thanks

luby

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm Back! Excellent Time

Luby,

Don't worry Dubai is a very safe country and were not afraid to go off with those guys (read some of the other threads).

The suits worked at at about £20-£25 each so a bargain. My hubbie wore one of them to work yesterday and it looked really nice cos it's good quality. We bought it from Walencia (Secret hide away shop) around the corner from Walencia in the Karama shopping centre area. It's a big outdoor area with loads of shops that sell excellent fake goodies!

The Wii does work here, but only thing is, it is in Japanese, still trying to work out how to change the language settings, although the games are in English so that's ok.

Try and also go to Ashianas if you like Indian food. Will be worth it. It's in The Sheraton Dubai Creek hotel and taxis are very cheap so you can afford to go almost anywhere!!

Enjoy your trip and tell us all about it when u return.

Have fun xx

ireland
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm Back! Excellent Time

whats the sky nanny

London
Level Contributor
679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm Back! Excellent Time

I think its a crew member designated to look after kids on the plane, i cant stand noisy kids or well any kids running amok and being loud when im flying and even more so the parents who let them get away with it, any airline that advertises a sky nanny is an airline to not fly with teehee!!!!

But thats just my opinion, must be great for families tho

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm Back! Excellent Time

loved this report it great to hear more about hotels by the creek, i laughed when you said " we went to the undercover shop" good for you for not being scared, dubai is so so safe.

what a bargain with those suits.

with the nintendo my husband has friends who have a game shop and deal with lots of imports from japan, send me a email via TA l in the problems that you have got and i will get you some tips on how to sort it, my husband also had one with japense instructions and he worked it out. wont be until the weekend when he sees them and it will be totally free.

Aylesbury, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm Back! Excellent Time

A very nice report

I am so pleased you all enjoyed youirselves, its heartwarming to have people who really enjoyed their holiday.

Yes the Karama is very special isnt it. Sorry the police clamped down, but this does happen from time to time, dont worry they will be open very soon.

Yes, although I have no children of trender age they are so looked after and hailed by the locals, its nice to see.

regards Mike

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm Back! Excellent Time

Hi there

great trip report , i just love to read all about other peoples trips and the different things everyone does.

glad you had a fab time

Yorky