We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi charges and road toll.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi charges and road toll.

Our regular taxi driver (who works for Dubai Transport - they have something like 3,000 taxis in Dubai) has given us the following information:

07.00hrs - 22.00hrs : taxi from hotel, mall or on the street will have 3dhs on meter when you get in

22.00hrs - 07.00hrs : taxi from hotel, mall or on the street will have 3.5dhs on the meter when you get in

If you phone for a taxi those charges will double, ie 07.00hrs - 22.00hrs rate on meter when you get in will be 6dhs

If you want a taxi for 6 hours (no matter what time of day or night) it will be a flat charge of 300dhs. Anything from 6 hours to 10 hours the flat rate is 500dhs.

Dubai Airport charges each taxi 20dhs per pick-up for plying for business there and this charge is passed straight on to the passenger and ths will appear on the meter when you get in.

If you have a complaint about your taxi driver there is a sticker in the taxi with a number you can phone to make your complaint. Get the details of your driver and his car registration number, make a note of the time of your journey and where you were going, and phone it in.

Salik

The dearly beloved (I don't think so!!!!!) Salik road toll started on 1st July with two electronic toll points, one at Garhoud Bridge and the other at Mall of the Emirates. All cars passing through the electronic gates must have a Salik sticker on their windscreen and each pass through the gate means that 4dhs is deducted from the credited amount on the sticker. This 4dhs charge is also passed on to taxi passengers.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi charges and road toll.

And make sure they pass under the gate if they charge you! I had a driver get off at Al Barsha to avoid the toll even though I'm sure the fare was higher by taking the Jumeirah Beach Road. I can't remember if he already had the toll charge on the meter.

And if you rent a car, you will be in suspense until they calculate your road toll useage.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi charges and road toll.

Something else about taxis.

Keep in mind that the meter only goes round if the wheels are going round, some if you ask a cab driver to wait whilst you see a sight or go shopping then you should reward him for his waiting time as there is no function for that on the meter.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi charges and road toll.

re Peripatetic's post:

If you rent a car you'll generally be charged 5dh for every time you pass through the toll. The extra 1dh is their "administration" charge! Be aware! But as Latimer as previously said, get a cab, unless you know where you're going here, hiring a car is crazy. We live here and, on occasion (not just for nights out) we still get a taxi. It's just not worth the angst!

And as PE says, just make sure the taxi driver takes you under the electronic toll - they're really obvious - huge gantries over Shk Zayed Road very close to Mall of the Emirates and Garhoud Bridge (on the Creek).

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi charges and road toll.

There has been a slight change in the way that the meters on cabs here work.

If you arrive somewhere and ask the cabbie to wait for you then previously, as the wheels were not going round, the meter effectively stopped.

Now (we are only about 80% sure of this, so you should check) if the wheels do not go round for 10 mins then the meter starts again, but it only works out to something in the region of 25dhs -> 30dhs per hour. We don't think this is much and certainly not at all rewarding for the driver so you may wish to add something extra if you think it is appropriate.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi charges and road toll.

I've been told by various taxi drivers that there is a waiting charge as well, although I've never been charged for it.

Sometimes they'll tell you the traffic's really bad and take you another route, which being longer will cost slightly more but because you're not sitting still in a traffic jam, the driver makes more for the journey.

I got caught out this way once on the way to work and a trip that usually costs 12 Dhs cost me 25 Dhs, but on the other hand, I was one of the few people who got to work on time that morning. Depends on what's important to you: money or your time.

oxford
Level Contributor
193 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi charges and road toll.

just returned from a great holiday which was marred slightly by problems getting taxis. Stayed at the Park Hyatt, and we found great difficulty getting taxis to take us back to the hotel in the evening, not that they werent available, just didnt want to do that particular trip, maybe something to do with heavy traffic along the creek road, and no fee for waiting in jams, anyway after a few refusals,we ended up jumping into taxis before saying where we were going!!. Also were refused by a taxi from the hotel to go to the gold souk.

7. Re: Taxi charges and road toll.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 00:19