We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

Yorhshire
Level Contributor
41 posts
How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

Keep hearing about people getting free upgrades to business class on Emirates flights.

Whats the secret to bagging s frre upgrade - enlighten me please :}

Best Seller
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
2,046 Reviews
from US$67.40*
Best Seller
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
422 Reviews
from US$48.00*
Special Offer
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
168 Reviews
from US$58.65*
US$69.00
Rossendale Lancs
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

Wish I knew, when I have flown with them from Manchester and I asked - the check in girlie, said "dont do free upgrades" charming as ever, anyway

I have used Qatar since much more pleasant. Hope you

blag one......

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
795 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

Pure Luck

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

Ask you don't get, of course check in staff are abrupt when they hear the request for the 500th time that day !

Join their frequent flyer scheme, members always come first

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

Ditto Devon - join their Skywards scheme and, of course, be a frequent flyer.

UK
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

Being the right person, in the right place, at the right time... very difficult to predict and 99% of the time asking for a free upgrade will get you a very short answer...

UCC

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

And if economy isn't overbooked then even top tier frequent fliers won't get bumped up. Anyone else has no chance.

UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
7. Re: How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

What if you asked how much an upgrade would cost?

Do they have a set price or would it still be 1000's more?

UK
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

We took an emirates economy flight to Dubai a couple of years ago. We got to the airport early and was in the check in line when a man came up to me and said were we in a hurry to get to Dubai? He went on to say that the plane was very overbooked and if we were prepared to go on the next flight (overnight) they would put us up in an airport hotel for the day AND give me a free flight to Dubai the next time I wanted to go. I said that was alright with us and he said go and have a free breakfast with us (gave us vouchers) while we sort it out and come back in 2 hrs.

When we got back the man said we could go on the original flight afterall as a large party of people hadn't turned up but, as a thank you for volunteering, he wanted to give me a £50 voucher to spend in the duty free. I pointed out very politely that we didn't have time now to go to Duty Free so he gave me a smile and said 'would you like to go biz class'. Perfect - wonderful flight. When it was time to come back my husband said better take the biz class labels off the luggage. No I said, can't be bothered, leave them.

At check in Dubai the guy looked at our economy tickets and looked at our luggage with Biz labels and said did you come out Biz class. Yes we said. Would you like to go back Biz class he said. Yes we said!

So you never know - you need to be in the right place at the right time.

Birmingham
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
109 reviews
9. Re: How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

We fly Birmingham to Dubai (and beyond) on many occasions - only way to upgrade is Skywards points and even then they do not release available seats very easily. (having said that, we have managed to upgrade for our next flight in October by using our Skywards points) I asked at check-in how much to upgrade last time - £850 each way was the answer. this on top of £450 flight was just a bit too much.

Chennai
1 post
10. Re: How to bag a free upgrade with Emirates?!?

I don't know how it really works. My mother was twice lucky to be upgraded to biz class on the same itinerary. She Flew JNB-DXB-MAA & back and was upgraded on DXB-MAA and MAA-DXB sectors. It was the first time she flew Emirates. Though I registered her with Skywards, she definitely wasn't a frequent flyer. And to my surprise, she said Economy was not full either. This means it was pure luck.