We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai with young kids?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai with young kids?

Aside from what SmartTraveller.gov.au say, would you go to Dubai for a week or 2 with young children if the opportunity arose?

Hubby may be working there for a few weeks (August), and there might be an opportunity for us (me and our 2sons aged 3.5 & 1.5) to join him for a week or 2 at very little cost. We travelled extensively in Europe late last year, so I am not daunted at the prospect of flying with the kids (I would be flying with them by myself).

But I want to know if it's worth going to Dubai for more than a stop over? Given it's 14 hours each way, I don't want to do it and wonder why I bothered afterwards!

I don't know much about travelling in the region, and while I will do my research as I always do, I would love some real life parent experience to help me!

What is there to do?

Is it safe?

DH would be working during the week, so are there activities for me to do with the kids during the week, and more we could do as a family over the weekend?

What are travel costs like for Australians (considering our currency)?

How long would you go for?

Do you have any tips for staying/visiting there?

Would love your input!!!

Ta in advance :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai with young kids?

PS - feel free to post links to other discussions, I struggle searching the forums here for things that are relevant, but am more than willing to save your time and read things already posted :) Thanks!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai with young kids?

I think it's a great place for a kids holiday. There are little soft play parks in all the malls, even some of the really small ones.

There is a thriving expat community of which about 12% are Aussie.

It is very safe.

There are kids clubs at most the the 5* hotels and the hotels generally cater very well for children.

I would go for at least a week and possibly longer if you can access some of the range of activities for kids like baby gym, music and movement etc.

I can't comment on the currency situation, sorry.

Take a look at www.expatwoman.com before you go and see if there are any activities planned where you can hook up with some other wives and kids.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai with young kids?

If you can go for little cost I would go for it. We have been with a 9 and 11 year old and are returning at the end of this month with 3 kids 13.11 and 14 months it is an amazing place you will love it

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai with young kids?

The only issue in August is the heat, this should be considered with babies I think.

Belgium
Level Contributor
37 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai with young kids?

Hi,

Dubai is worth visiting but it will be HOT !!

Your children are too young for the kid's clubs at the hotels (min. age is 4 years).

The good news is:

- the luxury hotels have childrens' playgrounds and kiddie pools to use free of charge.

- Dubai Summer Surprises is held till 22nd August, check out the website: www.mydsf.com and search for 'modhesh fun city'; especially for children.

- there is Wild Wadi Waterpark and Wonderland waterpark.

- most of the hotels have buffet restaurants too (which are more family oriented).

Also keep in mind that you will need wheels for transportation: Dubai is just not a walking city (beside the old part of town).

Taxi's are metered.

Weekends you can spend in the mountains or overnight in the desert if you feel adventerous, visit Sir Bani Yas in Abu Dhabi (wildlife sanctuary).

I am not a parent but I think it all depends on how you feel like travelling with your children and how they will adapt to a new environment.

So if you can get it really cheap just go and enjoy !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai with young kids?

thanks for the input so far.

It's been a little more encouraging than a parenting forum I have asked at, where comments were heavily focussed on the heat - which has made me nervous, particularly regarding travelling with the kids. Getting away from the cold here and relaxing by a pool interspersed with checking out the city could be rather nice :)

The summer festival looks like fun, so thanks for that tip!

Still keen to hear from others who have been there with young children, to help me decide :)

Thanks again!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai with young kids?

We will be taking our daughter this august, she is 26mths and this is her 6th trip to dubai, twice each in dec, may and august. May and august are hot,the only difference is that august is more humid.

We tend to go to the pool early in the morning and again later in the evening. During the hottest part of the day we tend to stay inside as it's pleasantly air conditioned. Even although she is too young for the kids clubs, you can accompany them and they can still join in the activities. Quite a few of the shopping malls also have kids zones.

We take her to dubai as, for us,it's only a 7hr flight, the time difference is manageable, the hotels etc are really geared up for children and the staff are so great with them.

I'm sure you will be fine if you decide to go, it just takes a bit more planning of your day and making sure the kids stay hydrated.

Alba

dubai
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai with young kids?

i have been in dubai for 2 months with my daughter who is 3 (parents live here)

There is loads for her to do here, will list some things we have done.

Dolphiarium

Fun city at ibn buttuta

Magic planet at Mall of the emirates (there is a place at the top where u can actually leave them and do your shopping in peace..lol) loads of machines and games aswell as softplay area.

ski dubai

cafe ceramic - mall of the emirates (second floor of carrefour end by jumbo electronics), big cafe where you pick a mug/ornament etc to paint, its great fun and food is good too, (takes 10 days to glaze though)

my daughter has done loads there.

Modesh fun city - dubai airport expo centre, huge indoor city with loads of things to do, soft play, slides, ice rink, horse and camel rides.

As far as evenings out go, my daughter has always been welcomed everywhere, we have taken her gordon ramseys resturant, frankies, rib room etc and they all great with kids.

Friday brunch is a must do, best for kids is probably Jw marriot.

My dd is red haired and fair skinned and she has coped fine with the heat.

kelly

LONDON
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubai with young kids?

Hi Lucy, i'm going back to dubai next month with a 3 month old.Last year i went wiyh a 14,8 and 10 year old and they were all fine.We've only ever been in August and the heat was not half as bad as what people who had never been there, had told me to expect,lol.I was told we would'nt be able to be outside for more than 10 minutes.This was grossly exaggerated,provided your sensible you'll be fine!

You will be amazed at the amount of young babies you will see at the airport-there were loads last year.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubai with young kids?

thanks for your thoughts. You are more reassuring than others I have asked :) So just waiting to hear if Hubby's trip will go ahead and if it does, I will scrutinise the decision more carefully. At the moment I think I am tempted to go for 4-7 days, as it doesn't look like there will be many 'day trip' options out to the desert given the climate & kids...