We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dubai duty free

preston, uk
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
dubai duty free

hi

just wondering how can we make use of dubai duty free when we're not aloowed to bringbk anything frm dubai airport. it says on airline website that anything you purchase at airport ouside EU will be confiscated when you arrive.

please clarify.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,799 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dubai duty free

Sadly you can't unless it complys with the UK and EU's liquids on a plane rules - so bottles of less than 50ml sealed in a clear plastic bag.

So small items of make up and perfume and fags but no bottles of booze - and they will take it off you, no amount of arguing will stop them, have walked past the queue of travellers at Heathrow giving their prized Southern Comfort etc over to customs officials too many times. Not worth even thinking about doing it.

So your alternative is to max out your allowance on the way into to Dubai, remember 4 bottles of anything and you can pack this in your suitcase, which is allowed providing of course you stick to the UK customs allowance for booze.

Maybe time to ditch the hand luggage only idea

If however you are getting off the plane at Heathrow or Manchester following a direct flight from Dubai without having to transit a european or British airport then you can buy booze

preston, uk
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dubai duty free

i am only interested in makeup and perfumes from duty free. so can i bring these items from dubai in my hand luggage cz i thowt anything from non EU airport not allowed.

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dubai duty free

I don't understand your problem. Normally I can buy a bottle of alcohol at the duty free on the airport where I leave. When it's sealed I bring this bottle in the plane and get it through the custums on my destination. Wheb I take a next flight I have to put in in my suitcase (extra weight) because it's not allowed in my hand luggage anymore (liquid rules). So what's the problem?

CeesTT

preston, uk
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dubai duty free

as we are only taking hand luggage, i understood that we cant bring bk anything from NON EU airports. so if we buy anything makeup, perfumes etc frm dubai, we will have them confiscated in paris/manchester??

im not sure. 1st time travelling outside EU so not sure.

some ppl have suggested that we buy dutyfree on our way into dubai and then put it in blak bags, i duno how that helps??

all im asking is that i wanted to buy makeup/perfumes and bring them bk in handluggage is this possible?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,799 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dubai duty free

The problem occurs if you have packed your suitcase and waved it off then have to transit a European or UK airport without access to the suitacse again.

So for example you take off from Dubai and land in Heathrow to catch the shuttle to Manchester.

Anything you have purchased in Dubai that is over 50ml is taken off you at the customs post in Heathrow before you are allowed to board the Manchester plane - this applies to all european and UK transit points

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,799 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dubai duty free

Sonia

As long as they are in bottles of less than 50ml and kept in a clear sealed plastic bag then yes

preston, uk
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dubai duty free

thaks for all replies. helped a lot.

so guess it doesnt matter wheter i buy going into dubai or on my way bk. although it mite b easier going into dubai cz then i hav time to pack in sealed bag etc.

btw where is dubai duty free from when we land in dubai. do you have to go past it to leave airport as im worried my partner, being a bloke, will be too tired to wait for me to go to another area to shop around lol. but if we're walking past it anyway then dont think he'l notice im shopping lol

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,799 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dubai duty free

You walk past it.

I wouldn't bother with the make up and perfume in duty free on the way in that's only the advice on booze.

You can buy make up and perfume in lots of places in Dubai not just duty free and the selection in arrivals duty free is not that great.

And at the risk of confusing you again.

You can't put liquids in your hand luggage when you get on and off and aircraft - they have to be carried by hand in a sealed see through plastic bag. If it is products you have bought in exit duty free they will do this for you - if it is products you have bought elsewhere then you need your own plastic bag.

When you exit the first UK airport look for the cartons or boxes of plastic bags they give out for free and take a few with you. This is because you have to take all liquids, gels and potions out of your hand luggage before you go through security to get on a plane to get out of the UK.

So again this may influence your idea of not taking a suitcase - remember that means that you will have to put everything from your own make up bag, shower bag and sun tan lotion in these see through bags because you will not be allowed to board a plane in the UK with them in your hand luggage - they have to be less than 50ml, and carried by hand in a see through bag anything that isn't will be taken off you even lipsticks and hairspray.

If however you take a small suitcase and pack all those things in there then all you have to worry about is your handbag and the stuff you buy in Dubai

Lisse, The...
Level Contributor
724 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dubai duty free

On our way back home we have a flight from Singapore to Dusseldorf (Germany) with a stopover (2 hours) in Dubai. Will we get problems when we buy duty free in Singapore and carry it with us in sealed bags? Will they take ik away at Dubai airport?

CeesTT

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dubai duty free

The rules are all over the place at the moment.

Regulations have been introduced that allow duty free items purchased outside the EU to be carried on board even in transit.

The Airport where the purchase was made must conform to EU regs and be sealed in a tamper proof bag.

The only Airport that I recall having the rules in place is Singapore.