We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Dubai

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
poole, dorset, uk
6 posts
Save Topic
What to wear in Dubai

Hi,

We are Going to Dubai in Mid March for 11 Days.

I know it will be hot, so my question is what is acceptable clothing to wear during the day?

We dont` want to upset the locals but also don`t want to feel too hot.

Thanks

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,372 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in Dubai

It depends on what your doing? What did you have in mind. For the beach/pool then normal sunbathing attire will be fine.

poole, dorset, uk
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in Dubai

That`s fine, it`s more about when your walking through the Malls and atractions. Is it true women have to wear long sleave tops, and things like that.

My wife is worried that she doesn`t want to offend!!

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,372 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in Dubai

No it's not true at all and one of the common mis-conceptions about Dubai. In the Malls not to revealing vest tops are fine, only in the soukhs would I recommend her to wear a proper top with longer sleeves and also trousers.

To be honest your wife may be more inclined to want to wear a longer top in the Malls because the AC's are quite fierce.

uk
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in Dubai

Traditionally, women don't show their skin to men other than their husbands, which is why the ladies cover up outside the home. The older local men, I noticed, appeared embarrassed when scantily clad girls walked by and some made hissing and spitting noises. You may dress as you wish, it depends on whether or not you respect local custom.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in Dubai

My guess is that you asked the question to prevent those disapproving looks. So I suggest avoiding shorts and vest tops except for the beach (this applies to women and men).

I am not talking about covering yourselves from head to toe. A long or 3/4 sleeved shirt worn loose over a T shirt above trousers/skirt (below the knee, but does not have to be full length) is suitable for all places you might visit during the day. Linen or cotton fabrics are ideal, but in March it is not hot so not too important.

A shawl or pashmina for extra-chilly air con is also a good idea - a must if you go to the cinema.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
61 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in Dubai

The malls have signs requesting that you dress modestly. They go on to specify - "cover your shoulders and cover your knees". However, even this is not enforced. We were surprised to see several people walking around in tube tops. If you are at all concerned about being respectful, then I have no doubt that you are the type who will be dressed appropriately.

I did bring several dresses that hit right at the knee. I wore tights to ensure that my legs were not bare. This was more than acceptable everywhere, except for the Mosque. To enter the Mosque, they simply loaned me a black "robe" and a pretty head scarf and I was allowed to enter. It was all very pleasant. No dirty looks or negative comments.

bolton
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in Dubai

When we were there we went to two malls, one was with the intention to have a meal we both therefore dressed as though we were going for a meal and felt fine. the second was a more spur of the moment thing and whilst mrsboltonrobbo in her wisdom dressed accordingly I without thinking kept my (knee length shorts on). I am not sure whether it was my imagination, or the fact that there were very very few men wearing shorts of any type, but I did feel uncomfortable and wished I had put some trousers on and this was late afternoon

Scotland
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in Dubai

Hi sorry to hijack this thread.

We are going to the Burj for afternoon tea. I have a lot of dresses that are knee length. They are sleeveless but I was going to wear them with a cardigan. Should I wear tights or will I be okay with bare legs?

Thanks

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,459 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in Dubai

You will be fine with bare legs - no tights required

Scotland
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in Dubai

thanks for that - will be a bit hot wearing tights!!!I take it open toe shoes are not a problem either?

Victoria