We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

cheshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

Hi my hubby and i really like the look of dubai with the Euro and dollar being low. We have last 2 weeks of August off and are looking at staying in Dubai. Have looked at Al hamra Fort Hotel and can get a good b&b deal £2400 all inc flights. People are saying temps will be TOO HIGH - what do you think? We stayed in Crete last 2 years and its been 36+ some days. (We are a family with 2 boys age 5 and 10 both fussy eaters but i beleive macdonalds are around so they prob be ok with the occaisional meal there!) How expensive is it? Someone posted that it was £12 for wine and lemonade and £4 for a can of coke! The other thing is Ramadam so how is that going to affect us? Finally we have beeen looking at Al hamra Fort hotel in Dubai - it looks nice reviews seem good - any thoughts my boys are fussy eaters too - how well do they cater for children? How far out is it? Were jeep safari trips expensive? Sorry to ask alot of questions but i just want to make sure all my bases are covered before booking anything! thanks Sara

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

A ) very hot and totally differnent than greece, very hot = 40 degrees but humid so no out door eating etc.

i always travel in aug and dubai is totally different. ts very wet in the pm in terms of humidity .

2. the hotel you mention , if from memory it is in the middle of literally no where, so two days tops, in dubai nowwhere is nowhere.

id look at the jumeriah beach hotels or maybe a city one or jebel ali resort.

city ones , pools except the grand hyatt are small and become very hot, very quickly.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

Hi Sara,

Firstly - the temperature will be nothing like the 36 degrees in Crete - in August expect 45-50 degrees (shade temperatures) and full humidity - it will be like walking into a sauna that someone has just spent the last 1/2 hour putting water over the coals - brutal! You will not want to be outside and will spend your time jumping between aircon places....that said, Dubai is well set up for the heat and everywhere is aircon (even bus stops) and if you want to see the Malls, go to resturants etc anywhere indoors is good.

Don't really understand your point about the Euro and US$ - compared with the £ the Euro and US$ are very high, the £ is very weak - so it will make Dubai expensive if your coming from UK, as the local currency here is fixed to the US$. A year ago the exchange rate was around 7.5 AED + £1, now is around 5.

Alcohol is particularly expensive and, with a few exceptions, only available in hotels - you'll pay avg £8 ish for a beer or glass of wine.

Food is cheap (outside the hotels) and excellent.

Also, Al Hamra Fort is not in Dubai - its in Ras Al Khaimah which is another Emirate and about 80kms north of Dubai. The hotel is nice, I've been there a few times but not stayed. Dubai will be around 60-90 mins away.

Marc

bristol
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

hi,

in august it will be very hot and humid but as i always say id rather be too hot in dubai than to hot in spain greece etc. although it is hotter than these countries they ar eextremely well set up for the heat. you will always be able to sleep a night or get out of it if possible.

we go to dubai at xmas, easter, summer and octber. it it much nicer in the cooler times but a lot more expensive! the heat does not stop me from going in august you just have to plan your day differently.

Also ramadam starts around the 20th August. There will be no live music and no alcohol in the day.You can eat and drink soft drinks in the day in hotel but not in malls etc.Personally i find it a little dead the atmosphere with no music by pool. On the flip side if you book a plc room at jumeirah beach hotel you get happy hour at around 7.30 to nine which means you dont have to hurry from beach to make it! Altough this hotel is more money you get the wadi park for free, free buses to malls where the dining is cheaper. you will not be able to walk around alot outside and they also have buggies driving you all around the resort. hope this helps

notts
Level Contributor
179 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

I know exactly what you mean about prices

We have booked Dubai in July as we got a better price by miles than 2 weeks in Majorca or Orlando

Try Bestatravel

Family of 5 Dubai 10 nts 2 club rooms half board in Le Meridien Beach resort £5520

Majorca HB 14 nts ( 4 star ) £5600

Orlando RO £6100 SC

Got to be worth a go !!!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

Hi I have been to Dubai for the last few years in August, yes it is extremely hot but it is all geared up for the hot weather air con evereywhere . I have 3 children aged between 5 and 12 they soon adapt to the heat they love it . Price wise Dubai is as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it. yes wine is very expensive,(stock up in duty free at dubai airport ) but with regards to soft drinks if you buy it from the malls 1 drm a can. if you have to choose between dubai and the med for me there is only one choice ! Dubai! any questions feel free to ask. ps we have booked to go back in august with virgin holidays we have had a really good deal at the palm tree court and spa

cheshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

Thanks for your reply everyone has been so helpful I think we are going to try another holiday one cause everyone is saying its going to be far too hot and the other being Ramadam. We will definateley look to book this at another time of year perhaps when it is a little cooler. Its definately a place i want to visit though!

tyne and wear
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

sara don't let the heat put you off, yes it's a shock but you soon get used to it

i went in aug last year and i'm going back aug this year so if it was so unbearable i wouldn't be doing that would i ?

as for ramadan , it didn't bother us at all , if fact the place has a different vibe to it and we loved it , please don't be put off , we saw many families there last year and the kids loved it, if you book a beach resort for example they have things set up for families and the kids will never be bored, also they have water parks , ski dubai , magic planet and loads more

as for coke etc , just stock up at the supermarket , really cheap and loads of choice

i personally loved dubai and it changes every visit , so much to see and do

cheshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

Ok whereabouts did you stay? We looked Al Hamir but found its outside Dubai from what everyone says. We are looking for something not too expensive. With Ramadam someone said you cant drink in the afternoons if say you are in the malls - so how can we satisfy the children? This holiday needs to be right for them aswell as us.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,247 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

Children dont take part in Ramadan until they reach puberty.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,149 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: temperature in August and where to stay for family -- Help!

Check out the Hilton on Jumeirah Beach.

The Grand Hyatt by the creek - fab pool area and great kids pool.

The Arabian Courtyard (where Geordie stayed).

The Four Points Sheraton on Sheikh Zayed Road.

The Towers Rotana on Sheikh Zayed Road

The Crowne Plaza in Festival City

The Palace hotel in the Old Town

Also consider a fully serviced apartment like the Oasis Beach Towers or the Harbour Hotel and Residence Spa

You can view all of the above through their own web site and all can be booked through the main web sites.

As Hannah says, children are exempt from Ramadan observations. The hotels cater very well for visitors during Ramadan so you will find that you can still drink excepting alcohol before sunset.