We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report, 17-24 March

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report, 17-24 March

I hope you are sitting comfortably!

Flew Virgin PE from LHR to Dubai with Mr VegasFan. Both of us went straight from work since it was a 9 pm flight. I got a taxi from Luton, £40 and 35 mins door to door; Mr VF caught the tube from the City, £4 and 2 hours! Hey ho…

Flight comfortable and uneventful (which is the best you can say about any flight) and we landed a few minutes early on a bright sunny morning in Dubai.

Immigration took all of 10 minutes and we changed money and bought duty free while waiting for our cases.

Met by daughter at the quick drop off zone, and off to her apartment near The Greens. Didn’t do a lot the first day, apart from unpack, and have a nap. Daughter and I were booked in for a pedicure and manicure at a local salon, which was lovely after the long flight, then we enjoyed a delicious home cooked meal.

Thursday morning we were up at 6am to visit the Fish Market. Quite an experience, but a lot of fun. I bought a kilo of fresh prawns for 30 Dhms, squid and red snapper (at least I think it was red snapper, since I couldn’t understand what the fish man was telling me about it!). We also shopped in the fruit and veg market just next door to the fish market.

Back to the apartment for a swim, then fish preparation for the meal I was cooking for daughter and friends that evening. I think they will be finding fish scales all over the kitchen for the next few weeks!

On Friday we had booked a table at Latitude at the JBR for Dubai’s national sport (Brunch). For about 330 Dhms we had all you could eat and drink, sitting outside under shady umbrellas. Great cocktails, bottomless sparkling wine and fantastic food. The entertainment was provided (albeit unwittingly) by a large group of Hooray Henrys and Jumeira Janes who were air-kissing and shrieking at each other all afternoon. Lots of hair-tossing and lipgloss...and the women were almost as bad! (Priceless!)

Saturday morning we visited Kerama for the compulsory fake watches and bags and real pashminas. In the afternoon we drove to the creek and wandered around the textile and old souks, then took an abra across to the spice souk, and strolled around the gold souk before making our way to the Radisson SAS for something to eat.

Ended up first in the English Pub, cos Mr VF wanted to see some football, and then decided to eat in the Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant, Sumibiya. What a great choice, lovely food, plus entertainment watching our meal being expertly prepared by our Filipino chef.

Sunday was retail therapy day. Dubai Outlet Mall, followed by Ibn Batutta. Quiet night in with pizza delivered!

Monday (our last day) was a lazy day by the pool, or that was the plan until we woke up to howling winds and a sandstorm. Luckily the wind dropped and the sand abated by 11 am and we swam, sunbathed and played crazy golf until the sun disappeared behind the buildings at 3.30.

Late that afternoon, we drove out to the Palm to visit the Atlantis Hotel. 150 dirhams for Valet parking? We parked in the street and walked to the hotel!

Wandered around and viewed the aquarium and the shops, then looked for a bar for some sundowners. Asking at the information desk, we were told there were no bars in the hotel. Hmmm….we found this often in Dubai, ask a question then get told totally inaccurate information!

As we walked past Seafire restaurant, there was a sign for “happy hour”, and it would have been rude not to take advantage! Rather expensive at £10 a cocktail, but since we got two for one, it was better value.

Then it was back to the car and off to Five restaurant in the Jumeira Rotana Hotel. You would never know the hotel was there, since it’s tucked away in a back street, but another great buffet style meal, with steaks, fish, chicken and lamb all displayed to choose from, then whisked away to be cooked to your liking.

Again all drinks were included and thanks to the Entertainer coupon, it was 2 for 1, so a bargain at about 70 dhms each! We returned home, three out of four of us a little the worse for wear!

And that brings us to Tuesday morning when it was time to leave at 7 am to get our return flight. :(

Not a lot of sightseeing, since we had done all that on previous trips, but a great time relaxing, eating and drinking and catching up with Daughter!

Jules

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Sumibiya
Sumibiya
95 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai Outlet Mall
Dubai Outlet Mall
720 Reviews
Movenpick Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel Dubai
Movenpick Ibn Battuta...
6,939 Reviews
Seafire Steakhouse
Seafire Steakhouse
1,341 Reviews
Jumeira Rotana
Jumeira Rotana
1,011 Reviews
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,831 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report, 17-24 March

Good to see you had a great time Jules.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report, 17-24 March

Sounds like you had another lovely break Jules!!

3. Re: Trip Report, 17-24 March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 14:19