We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

uk
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

Hi,

Having wanted to go to Dubai for many years, yesterday at the travel agents impulse buy...2 weeks in August at the Atlantis...

At the time I thought it would be wise to go H/B, in a Deluxe room. My wife and I have a 11 year old boy, the waterpark being a major point for him ( and me!)

Probably should have looked on these forums, before booking..Loads of differenting opinions about the Atlantis, what everyone seems to agree on is the extortionate prices. Half board will help, what does worry me though is that we will obviously need to drink plenty of water, £10 a bottle though... Anyone know of cheaper ways to get hold of this, and easily done too. Does it take ages to get to the mall and back again? Are you alowed to take in drinks to the Waterpark?

Any cost saving ideas would be very welcome...

Thanks

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,762 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

Down along the trunk of the Palm there are some restaurants and a little supermarket and then about 15 minutes to the Marina where there is a supermarket, 20 minutes to Mall Of the Emirates where there is a huge Carrefour supermarket.

The supermarket is the place to buy snacks and anything that you want for the room - you will have a mini bar so ask the housekeeping staff to clear it and keep stuff that you have bought in there (including alcohol that you have bought at Dubai Duty free so you can enjoy a few beers or a glas or two of something before you go out and after you get back)

You will get 50 cl bottles of water in your room every night so you can always ask for more (watch that they don't charge you though).

At the supermarket look for local water, rather than Evian, Volvic or similar. A brand to look for is Masafi or similar. When you're in the hotel ALWAYS ask for local water with meals or if you buy it - as they tend to wheel out the Evian first.

With half board then you have probably done the best thing to reduce the overall cost of staying there.

Breakfast will be huge so eat a lot and you may get away without a big lunch, especially if you eat your dinner early. You can always take some bread and fruit from breakfast for later if you get peckish.

They normally take any water or food off you before you go in the water park (not sure if this applies to their own 50cl bottles, you'll have to see)

Your boy will love it, there's lots for an 11 year old to do and enjoy. Try the Ski Park at MAll of the Emirates, Magic Planet Kids Zone at the same place, book a desert safari, try the Go Karts at Dubai autodrome, take him down to the creekside to see the museum and a bit of old Dubai etc

I hope you all have a great time.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

£10 for a bottle of water JEEEEEEEEEZ!!

I would not stay at the Atlantis because it looks miles & miles away from all the other attractions & the ive heard that taxi drivers are not too keen on driving back & forth but maybe someone can clarify that ??

it looks a lovely hotel mind But its just too far out for my liking,

dont let others put you off tho if you booked it you must have liked the first impressions you got so stick with that in mind & have a wonderfull time,

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,762 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

Also there is a poster there at the moment TheMoneysbird - she promised us all a trip report so I would check back on the forum a few times to see if she has.

hants
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

Getting a cab from the Atlantis was a problem in the begining but not so now , loads are always waiting outside. We took water from our room into the waterpark no problems. The Mall provides a free shuttle from the Atlantis only problem is it stops at loads of hotels on the way so unless you want to sit on a packed bus for ages Id get a cab its cheap enough.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,076 posts
2,003 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

You are going HB so your meals are taken cared of.

You will get a couple of bottles free water each day.

Just go to a supermarket in a mall and stock up with soft drinks, crisps, biscuits.

uk
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

Hey, many thanks for the prompt replies...this forum really is superb...:-)

UK
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

I came back from there not long ago and had a fantastic time. The pools are the best I've ever seen and the building itself is so spectacular. It is very expensive though and basic things like a coke and water cost a fortune. I had a couple of gripes and found that the walls were paper thin and there seemed to be dirty linen and room service trays lining the corridors ALL the time which I didn't expect from a 5 star but it's a very spectacular resort and you will love it

uk
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

Thanks again...am i right in thinking that the deluxe rooms have no balcony?...

bristol
Level Contributor
243 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

some rooms have full balcony and some just have stand out balcony. if you request one they are larger on the lower floors. when i went we just asked our room bay for more water and hid our full bottles then asked for ice and glass by pool.if you say you need more water they will give it to you.

also you get juice at bbreakfast just take sports cup and fill it up! its so busy know one notices.

we stayed in an imperial club room and with all the benefits ended up having a cheap room bill.

10. Re: Atlantis - Going for 2 weeks August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2009, 06:18