We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
805 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

Hi my daughter will be swimming with the dophins in August - has anyone done this experience?

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

Personally speaking? Atlantis Hotels dolphins are (from everything we've read - and have googled widely) wild captured dolphins from the south Pacific and the whale shark is a supposedly 'rescued' whale shark. Sorry, but like Kali (see her previous post), wouldn't ever consider even visiting the Atlantis. Sorry, but you did put this on the forum and this is our answer.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

Hi,

Me and my husband did the shallow water experience with the dolphins at Atlantis back in April. It was fun and exciting, but very expensive, although we both enjoyed it... probably wouldn't do it again.

I hope your daughter enjoy's her experience too.

Moo :-)

blackpool
Level Contributor
625 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

happyholidayer30

I don't mean to be a partypooper, but in my opinion, and it is only my opinion, the activity of swimming with Dolphins is not natural,as in it is not their natural activity or environment. There is the one exception to the contray, which is in the USA, where the dolphins seem to home in on and interact with youngsters who have a physical or emotional disability, and the interaction with the dolphins seem to unlock deep emotions and show a marked improvement with motor skills and emotions and such like, this in my opinion is an extremely miraculous occurance.

As I said I don't want to be a partypooper, but as Hge says, you did ask, this activity is an extremely touchy and fragile subject worldwide, having said that, I hope your daughter has an experience to remember and enjoys her time with such wonderful and sensitive creatures.

London
Level Contributor
803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

don't personally know anything about the ethics of this as haven't researched it but have heard from lots of friends whose kids have been to the experience that it was definitely, by far and away, the highlight of their children's visit to dubai. at that price it was a once in a lifetime treat but most felt that it was worth it.

incidentally, think you get a discount on the experience if you are staying at the Atlantis. you also get free access to Aquaventure so make sure you take full advantage of the day.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,350 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

Because you are not staying there then it will save you some money to buy the Entertainer book and use the BOGOF voucher in there.

Also worth buying the entertainer voucher book to use for the various BOGOF vouchers for restaurants.

See here

theentertainerme.com/TheBooks/…TEDubai.html

You'll be able to buy the book at Spinneys in the Marina

London
Level Contributor
803 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

I might be completely wrong on this- so do correct me- but i don't remember seeing a voucher in The Entertainer for the swimming with the dolphins experience. Only the regular Aquaventure admittance voucher.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,150 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

I personally dont see the difference between dolphins or any other animal in any Zoo (most of us have visited a zoo before) in the World, including the USA where some animals do seem better looked after. They should be all wild (free) animals IMHO. However nobody is going to judge you either way and I have been to several zoo's and the theme parks in Florida so I certainly wouldnt do it.

If you try to search back in this forum there have been a few people who mentioned it and one which did go into a good bit of detail about it, including the costs and exactly what happened.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

Why are people judging this woman?

She didnt ask your personal opinons on the rights and wrongs of swimming with dolphins. She simply asked that as her daughter would be doing this had anyone already experienced it. Surely what the OP was looking for was some guidance and advice from previously tried this.

Are we next going to have someone asking about the desert safari and what it is like to ride on a camel for them to be bombarded with people who have never been on a camel saying that they havent because they are worried the camel will get the hump!!!

Why not leave this thread for people who have actually been swimming with dolphins at Atlantis?

If you want to start a thread about the morals of swimming with dolphins go for it. There everyone can throw in their opinions on the rights and wrongs of it.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

I think there will be a moral issue with most of the things you do in Dubai, be it stay in a 5* hotel built with forced slave labour or shop next to captured stingrays. I do think we should allow people to enjoy their holiday in Dubai and be aware of the fact that the Dolphins they swim with in Florida or the Carribean are also subject to the above condition.

There are reviews on the Dolphin Experience at Atlantis and most of them liking it but found the price a little high. I've heard the same comments about Discovery Quay too, so I guess it's the same sort of thing.

On the Dolphin theme there are vouchers for '2 for 1 on a very special dolphin experience for the kids at Dubai Dolphinarium' this month.

Cambridge, England
Level Contributor
180 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming with the Dolphins at Atlantis

I did this on the opening day of Atlantis and was part of the first group to do the swallow water dolphin experience.

It was good, myself and my 5 year old daughter did it, expensive but it was my birthday present and a special treat for my little girl.

You hug and kiss the dolphin, learn about them and they do a few tricks for you at the end of the experience.

It was expensive and they have photographers there taking your pictures and the stand in the way of any family members wanting to take pictures, these pictures where good but very expensive, two pictures cost about £40-45!

The price of the experience did get us free entry into the water park which was great fun and even though I have done it I probably say I won't do it again.

Hope this helps!!