We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family accommodation for July 2010!!! LRM or One and Only

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Family accommodation for July 2010!!! LRM or One and Only

Hi All

Roxy's posting has spurred me on to getting next year organised.

Family of 3 - daughter 8yrs at time of travel. Just returned from Westin - accommodation great - kids club FANTASTIC - food good.

Can anyone help with our choices between:

One and Only Royal Mirage

LRM

Does either of these have a kids club and if so what is is like? cant seem to see any reference on anyones postings.

Am I correct in saying the one and only is next to the Westin? Whats the difference betwen this and the palace and the arabian court?

Do you think we would get a better deal booking a pack or separtate flights and accommodation at either? - any recommendations at the moment for those offering special deals?

many thanks for your help

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,372 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family accommodation for July 2010!!! LRM or One and Only

I think it's quite early to book for next July, you wont get the best flight prices now if you are thinking of booking them separately.

One & Only is probably a bit more luxurious than the LRM BUT that is mainly an arabic style thing and my opinion. It's low rise and has beautiful gardens, although the gulf view it totally changed because of the Palm being built right in front of it. Special place in my heart because it was actually the very first hotel I ever visited in Dubai - I had never seen such luxury and opulence and was blown away. The memory of sitting on the terrace to have afternoon tea on 11th November 2001, looking out over the beautiful gardens and the sparkling Gulf will stay with me forever - good job too coz you wouldn't get that view now.

Royal Meridien is also a great hotel. More modern in style than Arabic chique and around the same age, whereas the Westin is only a year old. Very extensive gardens and grounds, nicer beach with slightly wider view of the Gulf, albeit you can still see the Palm fronds.

On balance I think the RM would float my boat if I was going with an 8 year old - they are reknowed for their kids activities. organised games etc

South Wales
Level Contributor
222 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family accommodation for July 2010!!! LRM or One and Only

Ha ha love it!!!!

Everytime I have priced up flight & accomodaion separate it has always worked out much more. The flights are reasonable but its the hotel prices that are much more.

When we were in Dubai last month our friends were staying at the O&O - Arabian Court. Yes it is next door to the Westin. We went to their hotel and it was very nice. The room was lovely however they had paid a supplement for a sea view room but as they were allocated a room on the ground floor the trees etc were obstructing their view.

O&Only is made up of the Palace (is the cheapest), then the Arabian Court and then The Residence & Spa.All on one complex. They did not have children so cannot comment on the kids club but they loved the Arabian Court and would consider it for next year if the price was right. Also the LRM is one I would like to try. I love Molton Brown Products so thats a definate plus for the LRM.

Let me know how you get on :-)

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family accommodation for July 2010!!! LRM or One and Only

Roxy,

If your freinds paid extra for a sea view room at the O&O Arabian Court they should ask for a refund as all the Arabian Court rooms face the sea.

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family accommodation for July 2010!!! LRM or One and Only

Hi

Never been to O&O but stayed in LRM in 2002. Lovely hotel with extensive grounds. At that time our then 4 year old had an amazing time at the kids club. It was def one of the best we have used in Dubai. Lots of activities for all ages. Oganised things but also able to sit and watch DVD or not take part if they didn't want to. Was a disco 1 evening in the hotel nightclub which all the kids seemed to really enjoy, they all came away with a present at the end too. They were all sitting up on the stools at the bar drinking coke!

One word of caution.....we had come to LRM after week at JBH and rooms seemed small and a little tired in comparison? Know you are used to brand new Westin so????? Maybe club/tower rooms would be better though. Let us know what you decide.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family accommodation for July 2010!!! LRM or One and Only

I am not a family man, but there was more of a family atmosphere in the LRM than the One&Only. I would say the One&Only offers a more romantic, peaceful setting - it's also currently being re-fitted which will be finished by your visit next year. I saw far more kids at LRM than One&Only.

Both have kids clubs, the KidsOnly at One&Only and I think it was the Penguin or animal themed one at LRM.

It's been many years since I visited LRM but the rooms were of a good standard, but a friend recently was unimpressed with his standard room and paid to upgrade to a club room which was of a better standard. If you are expecting Westin quality this might be worth bearing in mind.

I would always recommend that you shop around for prices. Booking direct is always a good place to find a starting price, but be aware Emirates and most other airlines will only offer rack pricing until 10months before departure. This means you will be paying above the odds for early booking. I would also check with Desinology, Best@Travel, Hayes and Jarvis and LetsGo2 for pricing, but again I'd wait a few months at least. I would also expect One&Only resort to be more expensive than LRM.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family accommodation for July 2010!!! LRM or One and Only

Thanks everyone that is such a huge help - my gut feeling was the LRM so will look into that but perhaps look at one of thelarger rooms as there are 3 of us.

cheers

7. Re: Family accommodation for July 2010!!! LRM or One and Only

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 06:18