We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distances from Port Rashid

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Distances from Port Rashid

Looking on google maps it looks as if the Atlantis on the Palm Island is approx 25 miles from Port Rashid in a straight line up Jumeirah road. We will be on a cruise and will have a limited time to get from the ship up to the Marina (for the evening fountain/light show) which is near to the Palm as I see. What would be the approximate cost and time to travel mid afternoon in a taxi from Port Rashid to the Palm/Marina area?

I'm trying to get an idea of distances, as a first time visitor it looks to me that distances are greater than I at first thought. When people are advised to "take a taxi" makes me think we wont be able to do our usual "walk everywhere possible" thing here. It will be early February so the weather should be more temperate then.

Thanks in anticipation

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distances from Port Rashid

Hi,

""(for the evening fountain/light show) which is near to the Palm as I see."" I did not understand which fountain at the Marina. If you refer the Dubai Fountain show, it is located at Business bay - Downtown Burj Dubai near the tallest tower Burj Dubai along the Sheikh Zayed Road and not at the Marina.

If you wish to visit Antlantis, 'The Walk" at the Jumeirah marina residence for tea, from port Rashid is about almost 29/30km approx. And taxi may cost upto 60 - 80 UAE Dirhams per trip (you still have to make sure about the fare). The best road to take is Sheikh Zayed Road (Speed limit 100km/hr and it is a highway) and Not Jumeirah road (speed limit 75km/hr with many traffic lights to stop).

H Jabry

points2deliver

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Distances from Port Rashid

Dubai isn't really a walk anywhere town and bear in mind that cruise ships usually dock some distance down the quay at city ports ensuring you start with a longish trek until you even hit the main road. I guess you could (at a pinch) walk over to the heritage area at Shindagha from the cruise terminal but this is a big city with loads of big busy roads and with very few exceptions (Bastakia or along the Creek) strolling isn't much fun.

With respect, I'd disagree with above poster over nicest route as a visitor (or resident) down to the Palm from Port Rashid. The Jumeirah beach road may be slower but it's a relatively attractive palm tree lined strip cutting through pleasant suburbs of large villas with the occasional glimpse of the sea; it's also certainly far safer than the SZH. You'll pass the impressive JBH hotel and then the lovely Medinat complex built in traditional style. Further on you pass more five star hotels and palaces with spectacular gardens, you'll see the Palm and then arrive at the Marina.

Definitely go this way, the highway is horrid.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distances from Port Rashid

""We will be on a cruise and will have a limited time to get from the ship up to the Marina""

Based on the above statement, the highway was suggested (Sheikh Zayed Road) so can reach faster and Safely too to the destination. Agreed about the Jumeirah really road user friendly and also lots to see, but maybe not for bjb this time. Note that also All Dubai Roads are Safe if the highway or not.

thanks

H Jabry

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Distances from Port Rashid

Thanks for the info I asked for. I think I must have assumed that the fountain show was at the Marina when actually it seems its nearer to the Burj Tower. My paper map and the internet map I looked at give the hotel/street names but do not show where the fountain is situated. I think the Atlantis will be too far away for us in our limited time unless the mono rail is running further than it is now.

Its a bit confusing to some of us who havent been before as several of the hotels have similar names and there are two palm islands plus the world (not finished by a long way from what I read). I do want to see the old area of Dubai with the souks more than the big malls so I think that will be more of our focus than going up to the Atlantis just for the view from a slight elevation. I wish I had booked a few extra days before the cruise as we would then have had more time to see things.

I guess there will be more questions from cruise passengers as January comes nearer. The cruise Forum is not showing much about the Costa Cruises in past years so we have no one to ask on that site for any info. I see someone else has asked a question after mine regarding the taxi fare from Port Rashid, it seems quite a few Brits have booked the Royal Caribbean cruises already.

Thanks

bjb

Thanks again

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Distances from Port Rashid

The Sheikh Zayed Highway has one of the highest fatality rates of all roads in the UAE. I can't remember the exact multiplier but a quick Google will confirm that it's something like you're 7 or 8 times more likely to be killed on a road here than in the UK so most sensible people will prefer the Beach Road if given a choice.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distances from Port Rashid

If you need to see the old Dubai with souks then locations are not very far from the port such as Gold Souk, Spicy Souk these all located Deira side, taxi will go through Shindagha Tunnel to reach and you got to mentioned just in case if you get a driver want to take Al Maktoum bridge route which will be very far and costly. Taxi may cost around UAE Dirhams 10 or more.

Also you can visit Dubai Museum and Bastakiya - Old Dubai houses which also nearby taking 'khaled Bin Waleed Road" in Bur Dubai side. Taxi may cost only UAE Dirhams 10 or more.

All above required about maximum of 10mins or but more travelling time.

As for Dubai Fountain visit; it will be only after 6:00pm so that you can enjoy lights and fountain with music. From port Rashed to Burj Dubai / Dubai Mall where the fountain located travel time will be about 20mins or a but more, depend on the traffic and which day. As taxi must take Sheikh Zayed Road for easy reach. Taxi fare is + or - UAE Dirhams 35 per trip.

If you want to go direct for fountain only and come back then is very important to ask taxi driver to drop you where the fountain is and not inside Dubai Mall.

Please note that at the Port Rashid Cruise terminal for sure there is information desk to ask more if there is any more clorification required.

I wish you will receive more contributions from the others.

H Jabry

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Distances from Port Rashid

You are most kind to answer again, I am copying and pasting all you points and then when the time comes nearer to our visit I feel sure that lots more people will be asking the same questions because as we have cruised before in other parts of the world I know for sure that organised excursions from the ships can be very expensive if you book them on board the ship and you must wait for all the group to assembe first then go as a group to waiting coaches, then there is often a delay until one last person is found or the bus is located which has not yet arrived. If you do forward planning then cruisers can do all the things independently and much cheaper.

My plan is that we can arrive from a flight and be on the ship maybe by lunch time, have a quick change of clothes and usually something to eat then there are usually taxis lined up and waiting at the cruise ship, but of course they try to take you in a round about journey to make a little more money so this is where the forward planning comes in. We now know the approximate amount to expect to pay and can tell the driver that we know the exact way/bridge/street to take and what the journey should cost.

Looking forward to a short but interesting cruise to the middle east with stops in Oman, Bahrain, and Abu Dhabi thrown in for good measure.

thanks for all your help (I shall be back for more as I think of things).

bjb

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,470 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Distances from Port Rashid

I've posted these a few times in reply to other people but will do so again here for you.

They are two National Geographic walking tours of some of the older parts of Dubai.

…nationalgeographic.com/places/places-of-a-l…

…nationalgeographic.com/places/places-of-a-l…

On the first map above point 1 is the Dubai Museum and right oposite here is the Arabian Courtyard hotel.

The textile soukh is 5 minutes walk from the Museum.

The Gold and Spice soukhs can be reached by abra from point 5 on the first map. They are on the oposite side of the Creek just off Benivas road - you get off the abra walk through the underpass and you are outside the spice soukh, walk through here and the embroidery souh to reach the Gold Soukh.

On both of these maps you will see a square box showing the area enlarged and you can see Port Rashid on both maps (it's the right angle at the top left) so you can see you will be very close.

I would get into a cab and ask them to take you to the Arabian Courtyard hotel on Al Fahidi Street.

In my experience Dubai taxi drivers don't tend to take people the long way round. Certainly not like taxi drivers in many other parts of the world.

For the fountains then you will have to go to Burj Dubai area.

On this cruise you get an afternoon and one night in Dubai before it sails at 1pm the next day and it returns to Dubai at 2pm which gives you an afternoon and one night in Dubai before disembarkation the following day so you will have two afternoons and two evenings to wander about.

Plenty of time to go and see the Burj, the Madinat, Mall of the Emirates, Burj Dubai, The Fountains, Dubai mall and the soukhs

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Distances from Port Rashid

Dear bjb,

Thanks for the comment and glad to hear that. And I hope you got the additional info from latimer.

About going around for the first time in Dubai instead of group / package, from my experience, I will better take a package for the first of visit, then 2nd and 3rd maybe I will be of my own to save.

H Jabry

points2deliver

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,869 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Distances from Port Rashid

Bjb we are also doing the same cruise but in April. Can't wait. If you pick up any tips let me know. We've done Dubai twice before so not looking to pack loads into this port of call but as for the other ports, we think it will be fantastic.