We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

were back

uk
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
were back

Well were back from our first trip to Dubai, and all I can say is 'I will be going back' it was fantastic.

I would like to thank everyone on here for their help and information before going, it was invaluable.

Dubai lived up to all the hype and more and although we only spent a week there we hardly slept, there is so much to see and do.

The only bad side to our trip were the flights out and back. We went to and from with Emirates from Newcastle. I am partially disabled down my left side and walk with a stick so I asked for a seat with leg room or an isle seat so I could stretch my left leg out. We were put in the middle row (row 15 with 5 seats). Luckily the flight wasn’t full so we were able to move to a different seat. The meal was brought round on the trolley and the menu said fish or chicken. We both wanted fish. By the time the trolley got to us there was no fish left. And the chicken looked unappetising. So we left it.

On the return journey, again I asked for a seat that I could sit comfortable in and that I had a disability. Well we were put in row 29 right at the back of the plane, the bit that slopes up. So I had to get on at the front of the plane and carry my hand luggage with my walking stick the whole length of the plane to be greeted with the pointy tail end. The walkway narrows considerably at the back and on this flight that was were the galley was and the crew congregated. Every time one of the crew made there way past me, they would bump my elbow or shoulder this happened to be my left elbow and shoulder, the disabled side. The flight was packed so we could not move seats. When the meal was ready the cabin crew took the trolleys past us at the back of the plane and started at the front. So again by the time it got to us there was no curry meal only chicken. Because we had been up all night 4:00am check in, we were both starving but I declined the chicken and my wife eat it. (She is now suffering from really bad

Diarrhoea, which I put down to the chicken, as it’s the only thing on holiday that she ate and I didn’t). Needless to say the flight was terrible, and when I return to Dubai, I will look for a different airline or save up and go club, and hope its better.

I can’t wait till next time. Cheers for all the help.

england
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: were back

it's a pity you don't pre book your meal and seats before you left this would have sloved your problems with the flight. I'm glad to hear it did not effect the rest of your holiday and you had a good time.

Luby

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: were back

Check out seat guru for the best seats and join skyrewards with emirates for prebooking seats in advance.

sign up to both emirates and elegant resorts as they send informaiton regarding business class promotions , out of the peak season they can offer good deals.

i went from birmingham and booked seats at the rear of the plane which are two only within a three seat space, this was far better, but you would need to walk the length of the plane to reach them.

England
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: were back

Will you be writing a review of your experience in Dubai?

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: were back

Glad you enjoyed your hols & the flight situation has'nt put you off,

We used to fly from Glasgow & were allways happy with the flight & the plane But the last two years we flew from Newcastle & to be honest i think they need to change the plane its dated & scruffy this year our seats were hard & uncomfortable the edges were badly frayed & the screen in front of my husband was hanging out he tried to push it back in but it would just fall out again .

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,467 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: were back

Glad you enjoyed yourself and thanks for taking time to write about your holiday!!

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: were back

Glad you had fun in Dubai.

Sorry about your flight mishaps. Seat reservation with Emirates is quite a pain. Many rows are blocked (including business cabin) for unknown reasons. Even with Skyward Gold status, it's still not easy. I have had several frustrating experiences with them to the point that I contemplated switching to a different airline. I guess this is bound to happen sometime soon.

Food on Emirates has deteriorated considerably over the years. We had the most repulsive breakfast a bit over a week ago on a flight from Dubai to Colombo, Sri Lanka. Daughter and I were in business and had different breakfast orders, neither was edible.

Very sad.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
807 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: were back

Hi Haboo My husband is disbaled and we always asked the travel agent to book disabled assistance from check in - so seat wise you would have no problem. You would have been put on the plane first. We have used emirates and Royal Brunie and have had no problems and we have booked again March Dubia cruise flying with B.A. Unfortunately, not all airlines offer seat/food allocation if your on an economy tickets (which we use). On returning make sure you get to the airport as early as possible.

Disabled assistance at uk/Dubai airport is excellent!

Can I ask where did you stay? Be good to know how you found getting around etc.

I made recommedations to Dubai tourism re: no electric wheelchairs in shopping mails and they are currently looking at this.

8. Re: were back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2010, 07:22