We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief trip report

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
477 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Brief trip report

Returned last night from another fab holiday in Dubai. I will do a very brief report now and then a longer one in a couple of days.

london
Level Contributor
477 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brief trip report

Sorry, pressed wrong button!! Anyway, first 5 nights were in The Residence at the Royal Mirage. This was our 4th visit and I still love it as much as ever. The attention to detail is amazing. It was busier than usual, but this means I was sharing the sunbeds with 8 other people instead of 4. Really gorgeous hotel.

The next 5 nights were spent at The Address in Downtown Burj Dubai. Did I like it, yes, did I love it, no. There were many good things about the hotel but also some bad things which certainly didn't ruin the holiday but were a bit niggling in a 5 star hotel. They told us they were running at 90% occupancy but the place was empty. Had a great view of the fountains (which broke down last Friday!) but the house keeping wasn't up to scratch and food/drinks were pricey.

We ate at Reflets and had a good meal, but not a great one. I have had far better in London. The front of house staff were exceptional but the food lacked the taste explosion that I was expecting. So I wouldn't recommend.And M.Gagnaire was cooking that night and he came to introduce himself to the tables, so I can't even blame an inexperienced chef.

Spent ages in Dubai Mall which was fab and did the aquarium and the underwater zoo - both really good. And bought some fab bling in a shop called Glamour in the gold and diamond park about 4 doors down from Caras (which was packed). We also bought 3 Rado watches in the official shop in Dubai Mall and by bargaining hard I saved over £1,000 from their first price. So definately worth haggling even in the shops.

Will put some washing on and then start a full report.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brief trip report

Glad you had a good time.

What was the underwater zoo like? I've only been in the tunnel and there is very little information on the leaflet they give you about the zoo.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
807 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brief trip report

It's a shame you didn't visit the Zoo. It's well worth a visit - it's amazing to think that a Zoo can be fitted in to a shopping mail. There is quite a bit to see - however the tank where the seals are is quite small and you have to wonder is this OK, perhaps NOT. Although wise all the rest seems fine although I'm not an expert.

london
Level Contributor
477 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brief trip report

HappyHoliday, I totally agree, I liked everything except the seals because the tank was tiny and they just kept swimming up and down constantly - I'm not an expert but it didn't look like normal behaviour to me as they had no interaction with each other. The rest of the exhibits were mainly fish but also turtles (small ones), crabs which you could hold, a small otter show and other interesting marine life. I've visited Seaworld in Florida about a dozen times and I still really enjoyed this even though it's on a much smaller scale.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brief trip report

Sounds pretty good, I have the niece and nephew coming to visit me next week so I might take them for a visit. I just had the thought of a zoo in mall being pretty pants!! I wasn't thinking "Dubai" obviously.

london
Level Contributor
477 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brief trip report

Forgot to say that entry to both was only 50 dhs each so really good value.

7. Re: Brief trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 06:16