We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa cruise around the emirates

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tyne and wear
Level Contributor
996 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
costa cruise around the emirates

has anyone had any experience of this

been to dubai twice and fancied visiting the other emirates, so this seems ideal

any help would be appreciated , thanks

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,459 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: costa cruise around the emirates

Costa and Royal Caribbean offer this cruise. Costa have done it for years and Royal Caribbean is new from 2010.

The intinerarys are the same so it will be a question of which ship and which dates suit.

On which cruise line, Royal Caribbean gets much better reviews than Costa on cruise forums so you pays your money and takes your choice I guess !

I am doing the Royal Caribbean one in March/April next year and have booked flights, cruise and hotels separately. The reason for this is I wanted 3 days in Dubai pre cruise and 5 days post cruise and I wanted to fly BA rather than Emirates. The prices Royal Caribbean wanted to charge for the hotel stays had me laughing my head off !

The cruise only prices were fab via Royal Caribbean's own web site.

Hope that helps

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,861 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: costa cruise around the emirates

I'm also doing the Royal Caribbean cruise mid April around the Emirates. Looked at Costa too but having done RCL before we were more than happy to cruise with them again. I'm sure they have done this cruise for the past couple of years. They definitely did it this year. The standard package for RCL includes flying out of the UK on a night flight therefore arriving in Dubai early morning ready to get straight on your ship. Having flown overnight this year on 2 legs of our multi stop holiday we were not willing to do this so are flying out mid afternoon, landing in Dubai around midnight and then we are transferring to the Arabian Courtyard at a small extra charge. Can't wait.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,459 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: costa cruise around the emirates

Dubai and the Emirates is definitely new for 2010 for Royal Caribbean, otherwise they're telling porkies on their web site.

I'm really looking forward to it and think it's good value.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: costa cruise around the emirates

Latimer, I have booked this cruise sailing on 1st of Feb and got what I think was a good deal through a cruise club here in UK,£1750 including flights for us both. But I got to thinking that we wouldn't have enough time to see much of Dubai at the beginning and end of the cruise so have added the 3 night hotel extension on to the end staying at the Traders Shangri La for £534 per couple, B&B for 3 nights.

Do you know this hotel and its location? and do you think its a lot of money to pay for 3 nights? I have had to change to British Airways flights Man/Heathrow instead of Emirates direct from Manchester which is a shame but I couldn't argue at this late stage of changing my mind.

I am really looking forward to the trip now I have a bit longer to see Dubai after the cruise and won't be rushing round to fit as much as possible into the couple of days we would have had.

Do you have any advice on things to do in the other ports of call doing it independently. We don't want to go on the expensive ships tours if we can do it ourselves?

Thanks

bjbyorkshire

England
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: costa cruise around the emirates

I'm looking at this forum as I'm about to travel to Dubai for the first time next week. However, I've cruised with Royal Caribbean on a number of occasions and I would suggest that for any cruise-related stuff - including advise on ports of call - you should take a look at the Cruise Critic forums which are a mine of advice, both ship and port-related.

You can also take a look to see if any others have joined what they call the 'Meet and Mingle' board for your sailing where people post messages online beforehand and often join forces to arrange a private tour together. You are correct in that RCI charge an extortionate amount for their tours.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,459 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: costa cruise around the emirates

Bjb

Here's a link to a post from last week on the subject of excursions

tripadvisor.co.uk/…22034785

Traders hotel is in Deira. It is close to the airport and the gold and spice soukhs. Deira is the older and more traditional part of Dubai so you will be by the creekside and can watch the dhows plying up and down.

That's not a lot of money for 3 nights for 2 people with breakfast in Dubai - in typical Dubai style there are much more expensive hotels and some that are cheaper.

I guess you booked it via the agent who added it through the cruise line because Traders own website is quoting roughly £330 for the dates you have - like I said, it paid me not to book with the cruise line but separately.

Maybe they will let you cancel that bit and do your own thing for those 3 nights - if so there are lotsof places to stay that are a bit more central than Deira and will cost less than you have been charged by the cruise company.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: costa cruise around the emirates

Thanks Latimer, I thought the price for the extra 3 nights was reasonable to me it was just when you said that you laughed at the prices quoted by the cruise line that I got to wondering what I might have been able to do it for. I guess we shall live and learn about booking cruises/hotels/flights separately as have always done the booking through a discount agent here in UK. My cruise price doesn't tell me my cabin number on the ship, so I get what they give me for my good discount. That's ok by me as we never book an outside cabin or balcony anyway, we spend so little time in it - just to sleep and get changed, every day we shall be ashore as soon as the ship docks.

Just one question regarding currency. I shall get some Dirham for Dubai here in England as the pick up from Dubai airport by the ships transfer will not give us much time to go looking for a currency exchange. Will Dirham be acceptable in all the places we visit or will it be advisable to get a bit of the currencies for Oman and Bahrain?. We dont know how much we will need as not sure if we will be taking a taxi or just walking around so difficult to estimate separate currency when we will be just 1 day in each place.

I did look on the Cruise critic site when I first booked this cruise but no one had said anything about the Costa Cruise to this area and RCI had not started doing them. Maybe now a few more people will be asking questions on there so I will look again.

Thanks for all your help Latimer (I'm Just being nosey now but are you a man or a woman? I keep thinking I am reading what a man has written but now I'm not sure). It matters not as I thank you for all you great advice to everyone.

bjb

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,459 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: costa cruise around the emirates

I wouldn't get your dirham in England - you will get a better exchange rate at the airport in Dubai. As soon as you get through immigration and just past the duty free there is an exchange house so you can change money there whilst you wait for your bags to come through. I guarantee that you will have time to do this before collecting your bags from the carousel.

Or you can just go and stand waiting for your bags to come off without changing your money - remember the transfer won't/can't go until you have your bags !

The cruise ship will have an exchange house too so you will be able to get Omani and Bahrainian currency on board and you will also be able to change it back - in typical cruise ship fashion the rate will be poorer than you can get on land and you will find an exchange house in each port area. So my advice would be to use them or to go and get your currency for Oman and Bahrain as soon as you get on the ship - otherwise the queues are horrendous.

Happy to help with advice. I agree it doesn't matter but to satisfy your curiosity - I'm female.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
807 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: costa cruise around the emirates

Latimer - why did you change to BA flights? I'm going on the cruise in march and because I've extended following the cruise we could only get BA flights anyway.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,459 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: costa cruise around the emirates

I always choose BA flights to Dubai for two reasons

1. I like the overnight flight there and back

2. I am a member of their Executive Club and get lots of miles

So in November I have two flights and have only paid taxes and in March/April when we go on the cruise I have 3 flights but have only paid for 2

: )