We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Building work...

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
menorca
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Building work...

Is Dubai just a big building site?...Im getting that impression from my research

Is it an attractive city?

Which is the best place to stay (looks wise!)...creek, marina etc, which has limited or no building work. I don´´t fancy staying near a building site, with the noise, dust etc...

Trying to choose a hotel is difficult!

Thanks

S

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,712 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Building work...

Yes, it's a very big building site but no, it's not just a building site.

I think it is an attractive city with contrast from old Dubai and new modern Dubai that resembles the Manhattan skyline

The Marina area is attractive but still has a lot of building work, although no were near as much as 3 years ago

The creek is in the older and more traditional part of Dubai, although again there is a lot of construction around and about.

If you want to avoid building work alltogether the Dubai Marine Beach resort and spa is a good option as are any of the Hotels in the Madinat complex.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Building work...

You know what? The good old Jumeirah Beach Hotel is still a great place. Probably a bit passee as a "hip" place to go, but still a high standard, and, as the previous poster said: not a crane in sight. The medinat is finished, and low-rise anyway, hardly an eye-sore.

The near view is exactly as it was when I was here five years ago - but in the distance you can see the palm, the manhatta...sorry, marina, and downtown/WTC complete with Burj Dubai - incredible!

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Building work...

Hi we stayed near the marina, it is all cranes & construction tho not a lot was going on at the time, i think the builders had been "laid" off , it is not very pretty there, arounfd the Burj al arab was prettier, we were a little disappointed to be honest with all the construction and the fact that we couldn't really walk anywhere de to the fact that there seemed to be a motorway between us and where we wanted to go.

suzysue

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Building work...

Yes, in some ways Dubai is still a 'work in progress' but - wow, what progress! We've been here for just over 4 years now and the change has been enormous. While at times this has been a pain in the proverbial, the results have been dramatic, especially in the infrastructure (ie roads, metro etc).

In June 2005 when we moved here we lived 'in the desert' - taxi drivers didn't know where we lived, many people we met had no idea where we lived and now we're on the edge of 'town' so to speak, the city is coming out to us. Where we used to drive past untouched land with camel/goat farms on the way into Dubai there are now villas, business buildings. The road used to be a very quiet dual carriageway but now it's anything from a 3 - 4 lane each way road.

We've found it really exciting to be living here during the birth of what will be a truly great city/emirate. The really amazing thing (for us) is that they can widen/build roads so quickly; completely rebuild interchanges on a major arterial (such as Shk Zayed Road at what was Defence Roundabout) and keep traffic moving (you have to have seen this to believe that it's possible); widen Emirates Road from 3 lanes to 6 in each direction; build the Dubai Bypass (most of which was a dual carriageway for the part that existed) into a 6-lane highway in each direction from Dubai to Jebel Ali but, more important, into a 3 lane in each direction all the way pretty much through to Sharjah/Um al Quwain - over 100k in total of roadworks and done in 2 and a bit years).

Don't be put off by the thought of cranes or building sites ... there's still plenty of peace and quiet to be had here as previous posters have said. Come and enjoy that and marvel at what's been achieved in such a short time.

And would also recommend that you look at AntlerDubai's posts - just click on the user name to get all the previous posts ... they're a mine of information.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Building work...

Hi,

Well, my research about Dubai tell me something else without going further.

""Is Dubai just a big building site?...Im getting that impression from my research""

Please visit Wikepedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai

Hassan Al Jabry

Points2deliver

menorca
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Building work...

Hugedxb...what madness living in the desert and ending up in the city

Thanks everyone for your time to reply

I think we are going to go for it, im going to check ot the antler posts too

Thanks again

S x

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,411 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Building work...

Would recommend anybody looking for info on a 'soon to visit' Dubai holiday to check out Antler's recent live trip reports - they're brilliant. (And you can check out last year's reports, too, just by clicking on his user name and looking back through previous posts on TA. Last year's reports were equally as informative and amusing/hilarious as this years.)

Dubai is still a great place to live so, from our perspective, despite all the construction work (which is nothing like it was say, 3 years ago,) and the on-going work on the infrastructure (which we think is a good thing), come and visit and find out for yourselves.

8. Re: Building work...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2010, 05:17