We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
185 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

I remember reading something sometime ago about Emirates offering free stop overs in Dubai. Is that still the case? Heading to Beijing but wanted to break up the flight with a day in Dubai.

I used their reservation/trip booking feature and with the stop over the flight is $500 extra..

Anyone have any ideas/tips or advice to make it cheaper (or even better free!). Ohh and this is for economy class.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

I'm not sure because I have never flown with them but I recall seeing posts on here that say Emirates give you an hotel if your stopover is more than 8 hours - not free though it would appear if your flight price is so different !

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,908 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

I stopped over a few times on the way back to London from Asia and it didn't cost any extra but that was a while ago - last time I did it was over a year ago. I didn't book directly though, I used Trailfinders in London.

NL
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

I wanted to do the same thing because I saw attractive prices with Emirates. When I looked few weeks ago the stopover was "almost" free (like 10 euro more per ticket) but I didn't book at that time as my dates were not firm yet and now I see it costs more than 100 euro if I want to have the stopover in Dubai. Plus the ticketprices has gone up by more than 100 euro so in total it would cost me more than 200 euro pp compared with last tme I saw it.

With those prices, flying Emirates is no longer attractive for us anymore.

uk
Level Contributor
272 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

I recently booked a three night stopover in Dubai on my way back from Melbourne in June and it did not cost any extra on the price of the flight. If you search for flights by schedule rather than by price it is easy to see if there is any difference in price - some flights are more popular and therefore may cost more anyway, particularly the ones with good connections in Dubai.

uk
Level Contributor
272 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

If you fly BC you can often get stopovers with free hotel accomodation as well - we have done this a couple of times.

Kettering, England
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

We are returning from our honeymoon in NZ and Oz next month and have booked a 2 day stopover in Dubai (through Emirates). Our flight arrives in Dubai at 5.55 on the 25th March. The hotels I have contacted will not let us book in until 2 pm or after unless we book for a third night - i.e. 24th March when we are en route! We don't want to pay for a night we are not there and the thought of sitting around for 7 or 8 hours is appalling!. Does anyone know of a hotel in Dubai that will allow guests to book in earlier? Thanks.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

They will all allow you to check in and leave your bags but if you want a room to be ready then you will have to pay for an extra night.

Bearing in mind that you will arrive at the hotel at 7-7.30ish you could dump your bags, go get breakfast and chil out by the pool until your room is ready, which may be before 2pm (it usually is) and then again it may not.

So if you want to go straight to a room pay the extra.

One idea is to book a cheap room in somewhere close to the aiport - Holiday Inn express at terminal 3 has rooms for £50 so you won't feel like you have spent too much. Grab a couple of hours sleep, check out and move to your main hotel for the other nights.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

I found by booking it as a multi city flight the price was nearly identical. And that way you can have a stopover both ways.

South Africa
Level Contributor
395 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

not sure what their rules are from where you are flying - but from South Africa to all their destinations - they allow you to stopover free on the RETURN only.....if you want to stopover on the outbound flights - it's extra...about AED700 or so.... But bear in mind - when they say a free stopover - it means that there will not be an extra charge on the airfare to have the break in Dubai - it doesn't include accommodation!! They do offer special stopover rates at various hotels - which used to be GREAT......but for the last few years - I have found it cheaper to book directly with the hotels - so be careful!

Also - you may have found that the fare was $500 more simply because the cheaper seats were sold out on the date you were looking at....

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free Stopover In Dubai W/ Emirates ?

There could be a couple of reasons for this. Some special tickets and fares do not qualify for the free stop over that Emirates offer. When you add on the stop over it would remove the fare and move you up to the next one where the conditions allow you to stop over.

The other could be that the seats on the flight when you add on the stop over are selling faster, or are further away in time so not discounted yet. You can try playing around with dates to find this one out, or look on a seat avaliability site.

They have also in the past done stop over offers. Where they offer hotel accomodation and flights for your price, but these are clearly advertised. One example of this was the business class offer of 1 free night and first class 2 free nights in a selection of hotels including The Address Burj Dubai.

If you are opting for the stop over then you will not qualify for the free hotel, meal or transporation services as you could catch another flight within 8 hours. If the next flight to your destination is over 8 hours then they allocate you a room in the Millenium Hotel in the Emirates Wing or if you are in the upper classes then in the Le Merdian hotel.