We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro fare for seniors

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Metro fare for seniors

Ive been looking at the fares timetable and it says a blue NOL card is what seniors need to buy to get reduced price on the metro. The blue card was not available yet on the timetable I looked at so.... can seniors from another country, ie UK get reduced price fares on the metro and if so do we just buy a reduced fare ticket to wherever we want to get off and then buy another to get back to some place else? without buying the nol card which as I understand it is for multiple journeys and we probably wont want to make more than one or two at the most.

Thanks

Beverley

Dubai
Level Contributor
529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro fare for seniors

Seniors/Student discount is available only on the personalised blue nol card. It is not available on tickets which are used for single travel.

Tourists can forget about the blue nol card. After submitting the application it will take 10 days to receive the card.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro fare for seniors

Thanks for the reply. I can forget about a few cut price metro trips just for the view.

Bjbyorkshire

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro fare for seniors

A single trip is about 0.75p in English money- I doubt you'd notice even if they did give you a discount LOL

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro fare for seniors

I havent got my head round the currency Latti, so.... if a trip on the metro is so cheap is that the dearest fare going from the old town side of the creek right up to the Palm? Do you get off the metro at the base of the palm to go up the trunk to the Atlantis or stay on the same red line? I dont think you do from looking at maps but now Im not so sure.?

Bjbyorkshire

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro fare for seniors

The metro doesn't go up the Palm at all. There is a monorail on the Palm but it isn't cheap and is separate to the metro.

You would need to get off at the nearest metro station to the Palm, which I think is Nakheel Tower station and then get a taxi up the Palm to Atlantis at the other end.

To be honest, the Palm is best viewed from above. The best place to do this in my opinion without shelling out for a helicopter or a trip to the Burj is to go for a couple of drinks in the Observatory bar at the Mariott Harbour hotel at the Marina - this opens at 5pm and a couple of cokes at 5pm in there will give you a fabulous view of the Palm and the sunset

This probably isn't easy to explain in writing but it is difficult to know you are on the Palm, once you're on it in a car - you will just be driving along roads with buildings either side - you can't go down the fronds because they are gated and private so you just drive up a long road and over a wee bridge to the Atlantis.

To try and explain better we had a post on here recently from someone who had been on a 6 hour tour of Dubai; one of their complaints was that they were told they would see the Palm Island but they complained that they didn't get to see it - they also said that they weren't impressed with the Atlantis hotel.

We had to point out to them that they had actually been to the Palm Island because if they hadn't they wouldn't have got to Atlantis - they just hadn't noticed they had been there.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro fare for seniors

Thanks, I just went on the currency converter and £1 is just less than 6 dihram. so £10 = 59 dihram.

I do like to have a bit of a currency conversion chart just to compare prices. I know you really shouldnt as it can spoil your holiday if you say "how much!" to everything. It is human nature to do this though.

My son is living in Denmark and working over there. He is paid into his English bank but has to get his money out of a cash point and spend it in Kroner. he thinks he is earning a great wage but when a box of 6 eggs costs in the region of £2.80 then he isnt earning quite so much as we first think, He had some English pals out for a weekend and he got sick of them going "how much!!!" at the top of their voices. Hubby and I may go for a long weekend in July and he has threatened us we have NOT GOT TO EVEN THINK OF SAYING HOW MUCH IS THAT. Just shut up and pay up as that is the price, so you either pay it or it spoils your holiday. Well its his inheritance I'm spending so thats just what I shall do. Ha Ha!.

Thanks

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro fare for seniors

That's the same attitude to have in Dubai. For everyday things don't bother converting. It will drive you crazy. The only thing that is really expensive is booze.

Good luck and enjoy.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro fare for seniors

Thanks Latti and Mark, I cant help myself, I think most people do a rough conversion in their heads, its just human nature.

I'm looking forward to the trip now and I know folks are going to be asking me how much things cost and what and where we ate when we get back so I know everyone is concerned with costs.

We are going to have a good time but I can happily enjoy things which dont cost an arm and a leg. I love people watching and so just travelling the metro with people going to their work or having a coffee watching the traffic on a busy intersection is what you rememberaboutf a place when you get back.

Thanks guys for all the advice, I think I have enough info to last me now so I will be sure to get back on here when I get back so you all know what to expect.. I have made contact with a couple who are on at the same time as us so we have arranged to have a drink in the bar together one evening.

I hope someone who is on this first cruise reports back as I will be away from home before the next weeks cruisers can report back.

Regards

Bjbyorkshire

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro fare for seniors

"a box of 6 eggs costs in the region of £2.80"! Where?

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro fare for seniors

In Copenhagen, according to my son who is working over there. He told me a few other costs but that was the only one to really register with me. He drinks lager as do all young men but I dont think he drinks as much there as he would do here in Huddersfield.

In Norway they have 50% income tax or so we were told on a cruise to the Baltic, but they all feel it is worth it as they have a very good health care system and excellent services paid for from their taxes.

bjbyorkshire