We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot topic IDP - so will be brief

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hot topic IDP - so will be brief

This has caused a stir before and i don't wish to go over old ground.

Im going in a few days and with no local Post office doing the IDP i am thinking of getting one when i arrive, since i have left it too late for a postal service.

Can someone advise where i need to go (address and cost) to get one once in Dubai.

Whether i need one or not is not being questioned in this post.

Regards

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Hot topic IDP - so will be brief

The issue here is there is no clarity - if you check different authorities here you will get a different interpretation and advice from each.

The dubaiairportguide website is a tourist website dedicated to attract tourists to Dubai - so they will have their interpretation of the law.

The car hire company want to rent you a car so will have their interpretation of the law.

The RTA will have their interpretation of the law.

The only one that matters is the Police officer that either stops you or attends an accident you are involved in - he has ultimate interpretation of the law with no appeal. He is judge and jury. If he cant interpret the written English on your UK licence (IDP gives an arabic translation) then you may be in schtuck and hot footing it to Jail, whatever any website tells you.

Also many insurance companies, private or hire cars (the hire company may not advise you of this) require an IDP irrespective of the law - so if you are in a fault accident, insurance may not cover you. If its a serious accident then don't forget here that there is "blood money" - so you could be liable for $50k+, and the cost of the car, if the insurance company wont pay.

An IDP will mitigate all of these risks - so, it costs £5, just get one....

Edited: 25 May 2010, 01:19
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hot topic IDP - so will be brief

Phew.

Managed to get one today £5.50.

13. Re: Hot topic IDP - so will be brief

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 05:17