We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good hotel just a few teething problems

Wigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Good hotel just a few teething problems

glad I didnt come on here before we arrived would have been nervous and I think if travel pack did nt have the offer on then I dont think there would have been many there.

Issues -

Lack of attention from reception staff arrived late due to delay restaurant closed but hotel wernt bothered or even cared for us have nothing te eat this is the first time this has ever happened to us we at leat get something in our room or even a small buffet iskept to one side for guest that they know ar e coming .

Staff seemed new to hotel business and lacked leadership as they didnt know what to do with a comment or query a bit poor really.

Restaurant - very pleased with the choices but last day found the tandoori oven they could do with letting guest know where things are. When the man from movenpick arrived there was a marked improvment however when he disappeared things slipped a little

Sunbeds even if you get up at 6am I doubt that you will find a bed - they really do need to stop the old bed saving / towel because the couches and chairs are gonna be really smelly by the end of the summer not that good movenpick you need to sort it.

Need to look after guest that are on a late leave no where for guests to relax whilst waiting, you couldnt even use the exceutive lounge for a couple of hours doubt there was anyone in there ??????

All in All good hotel fab rooms good base just take plenty money because Dubai is way expensive I am sure it wasnt like that a few years ago, you gotta go to atlantis

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good hotel just a few teething problems

Maybe you should repost this in the hotel reviews section for the specific hotel and perhaps saying which hotel it is would be useful to others.

Shame you thought Dubai was expensive - it isn't really any more expensive (except for alcohol) than anywhere else and it is actually as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. A few years ago the £ was stronger against the dirham than it is now so things appeared cheaper on conversion to £ than they do now.

However, for an expensive experience then yes, you're right - Atlantis is about as expensive as it gets.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,908 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good hotel just a few teething problems

Please post this as a hotel review as it will be more helpful to other in that way. Also you could clarify exactly what hotel you are talking about.

hartlepool uk
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good hotel just a few teething problems

Movenpic hotel?? which one.

As for using the execitve lounge because you are late leaving. I am afraid I do not agree with you there.

In the past we have paid extra to have a late leaving facility or early arrival. Did you enquire at reception whether you could pay an extra charge for keeping the room for an extra few hours?

People have paid a lot of money extra for the Club room facilities in some Dubai hotels. why should they bother if the lounge is just used for late take offs. In JBH it is close on £60pppn. We could never afford it or thought it worth our while, but some people do.

It would end up being like a transit lounge, instead of what can be an oasis of calm where adults can get free drinks and canapes. etc. for which they have paid a premium rate.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
807 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good hotel just a few teething problems

I wasn't sure where you were at first. Like the others - report on hotels web site. I such a shame Dubai isn't that expensive. We are on our fourth trip end June and going again New Year. We are on a tight budget but manage it quite well.

Please think about going again and don't put people off. Just next time do you research!!!

Wigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good hotel just a few teething problems

Sorry disagree with you about Dubai being as expensive as you want it to be,

Converted 2 soft drinks and 2 icecream sundaes £25 - I do think it is expensive and speaking to expats they confirm that it has gone a bit silly - just looking a normal items that we would get at home simple things like toiletries then a simple pair of sandels 3000 dirhams, is a bit the norm and no they were not designer.

Atlantis £50 per head to enter aquavantre and lost chambers was the best value for money again 2 sandwiches and 2 cokes £30 again it was just a normal deli / cafe.

So if you do know of cheaper places to eat then I would be happy to know about them because we do plan on going back.

And yes alcohol is a fabulous price a glass of red wine and a pint of lager £15, probably the most sober holiday I have been on, not that we go all out to be drunk every night!

Oh yes and the hotel that I refered to was Movenpick Jumeriah - which I will post under that forum, I did think I had but hey!

hants
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Good hotel just a few teething problems

You can eat really cheaply in the malls if you are on a tight budget. Or eat where local eats lots of good Indians around which are really cheap to. Go to hotels or real tourist areas like all places you will pay premium prices. Buy duty free and have a drink before you go out, or if you really like a drink go club at your hotel and have free drinks from 6-8. It can be as cheap or as expensive as you like for a holiday in Dubai.

Scotland
Level Contributor
284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good hotel just a few teething problems

Get yourself out to Diera , we ate lunch at a very nice Lebanese place , sat outside and people watched . The bill for 4 of us was £15 . Again , as other posters have said shop around and dont stick to the 5 star resorts for food and drink

Wigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good hotel just a few teething problems

Okay lets not get hung up on this if you are there for 6 days as we were then you eat where you are, I was on the far opposite to deira close to dubai marina and there is no way we are gonna travel so far in 40 degree heat to save a £10, if your in the tourist areas then thats what you pay and its more expensive but the malls we visited we did pay £25 for 2 drinks and 2 icecreams and no it wasnt one of the newer malls,

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,908 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good hotel just a few teething problems

I also don't agree with this 'Dubai is as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be' premise that's oft repeated on the forum. As the OP so correctly says, it's no good having cheap places in Deira/Satwa/Karama etc if you are staying at the other end of town.

Maybe it depends where you are used to going on holiday but comparing it to the places I usually go then the above premise is wrong. I'd like Dubai to be as cheap as, for example, Malaysia, Vietnam or Sri Lanka. Is it? No. Therefore it's not as cheap as I'd like it to be.

10. Re: Good hotel just a few teething problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 12:11