We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Debit

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Debit

Are visa debit cards widely accepted in shops and restaurants or should I use cash. I prefer not to rack up costs on credit cards?

Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Debit

Have only ever had problems using Maestro card.

Level Contributor
819 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Debit

Most cards excepted - although I personally, find cash better and easier.

Always, have a back up card - you never know what might happen.

West Kilbride...
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Debit

You should in theory be able to use your visa devit card anywhere that you see the visa sign.

Check out how much your bank charges you as HBOS charge £1.50 every time you use your card as well as whatever exchange rate the choose to use. Can add up over the course of your holiday.

Level Contributor
1,247 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Debit

Cash is good although exchange rates last week were awful when we were out there. I would try your debit card but have a back up card just in case, our's didn't work in some places so it's good to be prepared!

Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Debit

your referring to a visa electron or visa atm card - right???

First off - doubt the bank will give you a great rate or saving. Infact you may have transaction cost.

u may have an issue at some retail outlets, but not far around the corner should be a atm which can help you out.

Although the hotel or restaurant may not have a atm.

Also some outlets may charge you 2% or something extra.

Taxi's wont accept it.

Its safe to carry money, best withdraw some cash and use it as you go.

Even if you bring pound/euro/usd, you can easily change it as there are money exchanges all over the city.

Lastly, any spare cash can be easily changed back to Euro/Pounds as there are currency exchanges at the airport departure hall.

Edited: 08 June 2010, 20:07
Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Debit

Im laughing to myself here,

we were there 2 wks ago and while i was in a shop up one of the alleys off the gold souk my husband had gone in annother shop to buy something,

i used my debit card in the shop i was in my husband came in and said you got any cash on ya i said how much ..

i said its ok ive got my card so when i was served i went into the other shop where they didn't have a machine for cards, so i said sorry we dont have enough cash on us,

The guy in the shop wanted us to go back to our hotel to get some but it was getting late an we couldn't be bothered trailing back an forth so i said it dosn't matter we will call again but not to miss a sale he called his brother and said its ok my brother come,

The brother turned up and the guy said follow me i thought we were going to the brothers shop to use his machine WRONG the guy had us on a friggin marathon trying to find a ATM asking taxi drivers where the nearest one was,

We finally found it but it would not accept the card it kept saying invalid transaction ?? two guys were fixing the other machine and were watching us the guy from the shop was getting more an more frustrated so i said to the two guys whats up with this and they said it was empty Jeeeeeeeeeeeeezus could they not have said,

Anyways they say where theres annother ATM so off we went again by this time we were all sweating like pigs LOL

finally got the money paid up and then the guy said he would take us back to the souks we were that knackered we said its ok were gonna explore a bit so when he was outta sight we jumped in a taxi and went back to hotel for two very large voddies ha ha

So if yer in a shop off the main souks an they dont take cards walk away lol ;-D

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,218 posts
2,036 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Debit

Visa debit cards should be widely accepted wherever there is a visa symbol.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa Debit

If your unsure id take some dollar traveller cheques and exhange at the bureau de changes/ hotels and banks get US as sterling always have a fee added and it can be high .

Debit cards ie the electron can be restrictive at some places . ok in europe but some countries a real pain ie the US..

A full debit card should be fine and yep there really is no difference because youve got the cash or havent but i know world wide the electron can be a problem, but the charges can be high to withdraw as with all debit cards.

You can have a pay as you go credit card ie the post office did them but how reliable they are i dont know.

Hotels on checking in like either a cash down payment or a pre authorised card for assurance

Let us know what you decide and how you got on.

9. Re: Visa Debit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 08:18