We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
493 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

A quick trip report from our (me, my wife and our 4 year old daughter) trip to Le Royal Meridien (LRM) from 29th May- 5th June.

Saturday 29th May.

we were on the 10.15am Qatar Airways flight from LGW to DXB (via Doha). Each time we go to Dubai, we get the same flight and usually it’s a great flight, but this time, the flight was delayed in taking off (by about 1 hour) and the service on the flight was sketchy to say the least. The air stewards just didn’t seem able to cope with a full flight which was unfortunate, but it didn’t ruin our flight too much luckily.

The connecting flight from Doha was also late in taking off, but as we were on the way to Dubai, it didn’t bother us too much.

Instead of landing in Dubai at 22.05pm, we ended up doing so at midnight and after getting through immigration quite quickly, we got to our hotel at about 1.15am.

As we pulled up to the exterior of the hotel, it looked like we had made a good decision. We had stayed in the Hilton the previous year and Le Royal Meridien (LRM) seemed much bigger and more extravagant, which is just what we wanted! (A hotel review has been done for this separately dated 7th June).

Once we got checked into our Tower room (which was amazing), we had a look around the room and balcony and unpacked our suitcases, before eventually falling asleep at about 3am.

Sunday 30th May.

We got up at about 8am and got ready and headed down to get breakfast in the Brasserie restaurant. The selection was immense and all 3 of us tried so many items of food that we’d never tried (or even heard of in some cases!) before. The food was so nice that nothing was wasted.

After breakfast, we went back to the hotel room to get changed and head down to the main pool and kids pool. We got adjoining sun beds in prime position and settled down to enjoy the pool and sun for the next few hours. Come 12pm, the sun was getting very strong, so we dropped my daughter off to the indoor kids club and my wife and I tried the gym out and enjoyed that a lot.

At about 2pm, we picked up my daughter and got a bit of lunch via room service. The food was lovely and the portions massive, so we all ate as much as we wanted.

After a quick snooze, we headed out to Ibn Battuta mall at about 6pm for the first time for a look around. We shopped a bit and had a lovely dinner at Zyng’s which basically allowed you to pick your own meat and vegetables and the flavour and spiciness of the rice/noodles. It was a nice touch and the end result was a great tasting meal.

We got back to the hotel room at about 10pm and as we were all tired, we decided to have an early night.

Monday 31st May.

We got up nice and early again and tried the restaurant in the Fusion restaurant that is reserved for Tower guests. It was nice, and not as busy as the main brasserie breakfast, but was nice to have a bit more space.

We then went down to the pool until about 12pm, after which my daughter again went kids club and wife and I relaxed in the room/went to the gym.

After a late lunch, we decided to go to Meena Bazaar which is home to the Indian shops. My wife had a list of items she wanted, so we trawled the gold shops and the Indian clothes shops and put in a few orders for a few items. I decided to get some work shirts made and got measured up and chose the material and was told they would be ready in a few days.

We had a lovely dinner in a local restaurant (vegetarian garden) that was highly recommended and we could see why. A 3 course meal for 3 of us was about £15 for food and drink (no alcohol), and the taste of the food was delicious.

Tuesday 1st June.

The morning followed the same pattern as the previous 2 days and the afternoon was spent in Dubai mall, looking around for a few things and having a quick lunch at Thai Express which was surprisingly nice and spicy (cost about £6 per person).

For the evening, we had booked a table at Arboretum (Al Qasr hotel) restaurant for their buffet. The food was amazing, and the selection was brilliant, however, the service wasn’t over ‘friendly’ shall we say. whatever question you asked, the first question in reply from the ‘helper’ was always ‘are you staying in the hotel?’. I assume that if you said yes, then you got a nice response, but as we were ‘only’ visiting their restaurant and (spending quite a lot of money between the 3 of us) were not guests, we got very little help and a feeling that we didn’t belong, which wasn’t a nice feeling and really put us off ever staying at a Madinat hotel as the service we received at LRM was so amazing, and not once were we asked ‘are you staying at the hotel?’ in response to any question we asked.

Anyhow, the food was lovely, and the chocolate fountain was a nice end fo the meal. After eating so much, we made our way to the Madinat Souk to get some money out and just try and walk off some of the hundreds of calories that we had consumed. We walked around and sat outside for a bit in the lovely heat and took sum pictures of the Burj from the viewing deck.

Wednesday 2nd June

After spending the morning by the pool and beach, we ended up getting out of the hotel at about 5pm and made our way to Mall of Emirates for a look around. Did a bit of shopping and had a nice meal in the food court and headed back to the hotel for a nice walk down Jumeirah walk to take in the local atmosphere.

Jumeriah walk is lovely and allows you to have a nice stroll while taking in everything that is going on.

Thursday 3rd June

Yet another morning by the pool and beach (as if you can blame us!) and spent a bit of time in the hotel gym, before our meal in the Al Khaima restaurant at LRM. We had an outdoor tent which was a great setting and the temperature was manageable and the food was brilliant, so we had a nice evening the 3 of us.

Friday 4th June

The morning was the same as all the other mornings so far. For lunch, we headed back to Ibn Battuta mall where we decided to watch Shrek 4 in 3D in the large cinema. We were going for lunch, but decided to gorge ourselves on the nachos and popcorn which for some reason tasted nicer than those found in English cinemas! The film was good and the cinema was pretty empty.

After the mall, we took a taxi to Madinat souk, to pick up some glasses that I had bought and while we were there, we took an abra ride along the canal for a bit and took a few pictures and ended up having some iced drinks in a coffee shop to cool down

After there, we took a taxi to Meena Bazaar again, to pick up the various items (2 shirts, 2 indian outfits that needed alterations and a diamond ring). We picked everything up from the various shops and then headed to our favourite local Indian restaurant- Veg world. We over ordered as usual but did our best to finish all the food off.

Saturday 5th June

Our last day kicked off with me arranging for us to transfer to a different room at about 2pm so that we could check out at 8pm (as our flight was at 11.30pm that night). Once that was sorted out (for a surprisingly fair rate I thought), we again went to breakfast and headed down to the pool to get our last day of 40 degree heat and enjoyment. By about 1pm, we had to go back to our room and change and pack our bags ready to be transferred to our new room.

Our new room was a city view deluxe, which was nice, but not a patch on the sea view Tower room that we had called home for the last 7 days. We got some room service for lunch and all 3 of us had a nap as it was going to be a long day/night.

We checked out at 8pm and were promptly picked up by our transfer company and we say a long goodbye to LRM and headed to the airport.

The flight was late (again!) but we made time up and landed at LGW at 7am the next morning.

Overall, this was our 3rd time in Dubai and each time we stay at different places. We all agreed that LRM was easily the best so far and we could see ourselves going back there without a moment’s doubt. The temperature was manageable at an average of about 42 degrees and the humidity levels weren’t too bad. We loved our days of relaxing in the morning/ early afternoon in the Dubai sun, and then doing more energetic things in the evenings. We’ve done most of the ‘touristy’ things already, so it’s nice to be able to switch off and just enjoy being on holiday, without having a specific itiniery as such.

We will go back to Dubai next year, as that’s our 1 week of guaranteed sun and relaxation at a place we know and love, and it means that we can be more adventurous with other holidays that we plan, safe in the knowledge, that even if those holidays don’t quite match up to our expectations, we’ll always have Dubai to satisfy our needs.

Thanks for reading!!

cheltenham
Level Contributor
150 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

Very informative report. Thank you

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
807 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

Hi on my first trip to Dubai eight years ago I stayed at the Royal. Since that have tried the one near the airport and going Friday to Mini Seyhi. It's nice to try different hotels as there are some many.

What location is the Vegetarian Garden?

Thanks for the report.

U.K
Level Contributor
326 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

Nice report

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

Thanks Vipster, lovely report. Pleased you had another good trip. That's a good cinema in IBN Battuta and I've been there myself a couple of times to while away the last evening before a flight.

I know lots of people rave over the Madinat but I wouldn't stay there either - bad experience of my one and only trip there, including the final straw when I asked the check out guy for a bottle of water to be told as I paid our bill

'no, you can't have one, they are only for guests that are checking in'

So many other nice places to try.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
493 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

Hi all,

thanks for the messages...

Happyholidayer30- Vegetarian Garden is in central Meena Bazaar, and can be seen by a large cream coloured sign, near hotel Nova and near KFC. Sorry for the generally vague description, but I dont know any road names, and the above description is how the cab driver found it!

I'd be interested to know how you find the Mina Seyahi, as that is a possible hotel for our next stay...

Latimer- luckilly, all 3 of us love Dubai and look forward to our annual trip there. We'd definitely go back to the cinema there, just to eat the nachos if nothing else!! We were looking to try the madinat complex out on our next trip as the setting looks so nice, but as i said, we've been put off by the lack of friendly service (from our experience) which is a shame, but lots of other lovely hotels to try out still....

liverpool
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

thank you for taking the time to do a good report

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
376 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

lovely trip report , curious about the custom tailored shirts. Are these western style shirts and can women get these done as well?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,542 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

You can get any style of shirt you want, suits, dresses, trousers - anything really depending on how much time you have.

And yes women can get clothes tailored too

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
493 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

Just to add to what Lattimer has said, yes you can get pretty much anything made. They have catalogues in most of the stores there, where you can choose styles or you can take your own picture of something that you want made and they can copy the picture.

10. Re: Trip Report- Half term week May/June 2010 at LRM.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 05:17