We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing alcohol into hotel

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
70 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing alcohol into hotel

Counting down to my 1st holiday in Dubai now & just a few questions coming to me.

From reading this forum, it seems a good idea is to buy alcohol in the duty free & bring to your hotel room.

I'm just wondering about the logistics of this. We are staying at Le Royal Meridien, I have just emailed them to ask them abuot their policy on guests bringing alcohol into the hotel.

But would like to know from anyone who has done this, was it frowned upon? Did anyone mention it when checking in? I have this vision of the "clink clink" of the bottles in our bags & maybe might give a bad impression. I don’t want to get into any trouble or offend anyone! We actually are beer drinkers so I guess we would buy maybe a box of bottles, or something like that. Which will probably look even worse!

Anyone any feedback on this?

hants
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing alcohol into hotel

Took wine from airport to LRM last year no problems or frowns, enjoy.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing alcohol into hotel

The kind people at dubai airport put selves over the bottles to stop the clink clink.

I wouldn't bring it to their attention as you will get the wrong answer. They will want to protect revenue. 80%+ people do it and there's not a problem.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing alcohol into hotel

Mark is absolutely rigjht - if you ask the question you'll get the official hotel line....no.

Hotels turn a blind eye to this and accept people do this - just dont make it obvious.

Never ask a question you won't like the answer to...

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
791 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing alcohol into hotel

Stayed at LRM twice and took my own drink with me from duty free. We also asked them to empty the mini bar which they did without any questions asked or frowning upon it. We also ask to get the mini bar emptied in any other hotel we stay at.

No doubt some people may not agree with what we do but I have seen and heard of folk doing a lot worse.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing alcohol into hotel

Yeah we have our mini bar emptied too,

its handy for milk cause i like alot in me cuppas lol

weve even bought butter & cooked chickens to make sarnies for a quick snack on the balcony ..

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing alcohol into hotel

Never had a problem, the guy that brought my suitcases to the room at the Hilton even unpacked the duty free for me

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
808 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing alcohol into hotel

Just got back from Le Meridien Mina - went straight to Spinneys and loaded up with water, fruit, and snacks had a least five bags. The Spinneys yellow bags stood right out. No problem. Other guest where going to the Express supermarket right opposite the hotel - brought cooked chickens.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing alcohol into hotel

Just got back from DAM and no problem bringing a few litres of vodka and wine from duty free. We asked them to empty our refrigerated bar and filled it with our own alchahol, soft drinks and chocolate which the hotel staff were absolutely fine about.

Scotland
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing alcohol into hotel

Hi there, we bought 3 x 12 packs of carlsberg lager they are the 310 ml size or there abouts and there was no problems, infact they emptied the mini bar at 2am.

Nothing seems to be a problem for these guys in the hotels and they do it with a smile.

Ps it was ramadan time when we arrived.

10. Re: Bringing alcohol into hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2011, 05:18