We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Cards or Pre Paid Cards

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Cards or Pre Paid Cards

I have spoken to my credit card company (MBNA) who tell me with each purchase there is a 2.99%, therefore i was thinking of having a pre-pay card with someone like Thomas Cook. Any thoughts?

uk
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Cards or Pre Paid Cards

I take cash, that way I spend only what I can afford and have no bills on return, some credit cards have deals where no charges for world wide purchases and only an interest charge from date of cash from atm until the date you clear your balance, think nation wide cards will or have now started charging or will be from November,

Halifax have just brought out the clarity card which has its benefits for using world wide no interest or charges on purchases but interest charged for cash withdrawals from date till you clear the balance,

No expert but hope that helps

Cash all the way for me though

Newcastle
Level Contributor
36 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Cards or Pre Paid Cards

Just yesterday I got one of these pre-paid cards (Mastercard) for my trip next month. If you do want one, make sure you use the top link as this will get you the card for free, as appose to the ususal £26 signing-up fee!

http://www.fairfx.com/travelcardl

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/…prepaid

It's free to make any card transactions & £1.99 to withdraw cash from an ATM.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,562 posts
2,161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Cards or Pre Paid Cards

Credit cards:

I would look at the Post Office Mastercard or Santander Zero card. They are the best buys for use abroad.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
825 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Cards or Pre Paid Cards

Depending how old you are - take a look at Sage credit card, no charges for use in Dubai. There has been a lot of info re pre paid cards. If you don't use the full amount - you are further charged for exchanging/getting your surplus money back.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Cards or Pre Paid Cards

Prepaid cards should be ok for Dubai and more developed countries.

I have had trouble using mine in Kenya. I mentioned this at one of then banks and the teller told me she also had trouble using her card in the smaller towns in South America. So if you are going somewhere remote or not too touristy they may not work. Always have a few sources of accessing money.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
6. Re: Credit Cards or Pre Paid Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2011, 06:16