We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transiting dubai airport

Belfast
Level Contributor
767 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Transiting dubai airport

My daughter is going to Australia via Dubai. She has a condition which requires her to take a drug which is on the UAEs CD(A) controlled list. Would she be safe leaving it in her hold luggage, which is booked straight through, or is this also checked by customs? I don't want a phonecall from a Dubai prison! We are trying to get permission for her to transport this drug but have had no response from the UAE medical authority on how to do this yet. All advise on what to do welcomed

Thanks

Reading
Level Contributor
203 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transiting dubai airport

i wouldnt put any medication in the hold luggage incase its lost.

I took medication in my hand luggage in its original packaging, with my prescription. They didnt even check though.

uk
Level Contributor
310 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transiting dubai airport

I have transited through Dubai on many occasions on my way to and from Australia. As you do not pass through immigration or customs in Dubai and in effect do not enter the country, there is no problem with taking prescription drugs in hand luggage (although this is screened between the arrival gate and the terminal. Just make sure that your daughter carries a copy of her prescription but she is not likely to be stopped in Dubai - more likely in Australia in my experience!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,703 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transiting dubai airport

You will not get a phone call from a Dubai prison. Your daughter is not going to Dubai but through the airport.

And even if she was going to Dubai, there is no problem for holidaymakers taking prescribed medication to Dubai on holiday. Thousands of people do so every year. A simple doctors letter of copy of the prescription is all that is required and there is no need to produce it unless asked to do so.

And whilst we are on that subject you should NEVER put prescribed medication in checked baggage - this could threaten your life if your luggage is lost.

ALL countries require travellers to carry a copy of their prescription and/or a doctors letter if you are taking prescribed medication from a different country. This is not unique to Dubai as you can see above.

Belfast
Level Contributor
767 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transiting dubai airport

Thanks everyone. I'l let her know what she needs to get her medication through ok

Ta

Les

Belfast
Level Contributor
767 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transiting dubai airport

Just to let everyone know- the daughter emailed the UAE health authority & got a reply stating that as long as she has a doctor's letter stating her requirement for her medications & copies of her prescriptions, it's ok to take a month's worth to & through Dubai Airport

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,703 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transiting dubai airport

How very reassuring.

At least you were able to tell her that you already knew that .......

Good job we weren't making it up then.

Hope she has also checked with Austrailia too ...... just to be on the safe side.

Edited: 19 September 2010, 17:37
7. Re: Transiting dubai airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2011, 04:16