We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what area to stay??

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
what area to stay??

hi..thinking of possible holiday to dubai,i am very unfamilar with dubai and its neighbourhoods/areas.what area is best get a hotel?? i would imagine the city centre hotel are quite expensive.i am looking for hotel reasonably priced.oh and is there actually a city centre fulcrum point??

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,563 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what area to stay??

Take a look at the Dubai City Guide in the Top Questions for Dubai - it has lots of information on the city and a very useful and simple map (from memory it's on page 6 I think)

Then let us know when you are thinking of coming as that will have a big impact on the prices - as a rough guide the summer is very cheap because it is very hot and humid. High season price wise is end October till end of April.

The city based hotels are generally much cheaper than the beach hotels.

You will see when you look at the map that Dubai is very spread out but not that big - it is long and thin with the newest and more westernised end of the Marina and the traditional and oldest part at the other; this is called Deira and is where the airport is.

There is no city centre as such because of the way Dubai has grown but anything along or just of Sheik Zayed Road or near the downtown area is central being almost halfway between the airport in Deira and the newer end of the city.

Lastly, what is your budget per night ? Poeple's definition of reasonable is really difficult to gauge - what is reasonable for you may be expensive for others.

You can pay anything from £50 a night to over £1,000 a night. Obviously the nicer the hotel and the nicer the area the higher the price so if you give us an idea of your budget we can help more

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what area to stay??

hi...my budget would be 70 euro/£60 per double room per night.as i said not very familar with dubai.i would not mind staying a bit out of the city but not too far either.what is the public transport like in the city?? no metro,trams?? i heard a rumour off someone thats been to dubai before,that the taxi situation in dubai is really bad.cheap but its hard get one and traffic jams are big problem.any truth in this?? oh and my hotel would have to have a pool!

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what area to stay??

Went to Dubai in early December and stayed at the Ibis Deira City Centre hotel. It's probably about the budget you're looking at (we were there three nights, paid about £200 overall). There is no pool, but you can pay a bit extra and use the one at the hotel next door. Breakfast was included. It's a decent enough place with the Deira City Centre mall over the road.

Transport around Dubai - we had no problems. Taxis, we found, were plentiful, cheap and there were no traffic issues - at least during our trip. Just make sure to ask the fare before you get in - they'll normally quote a rough price.

The metro system, which is more or less a train system running from one end of Dubai to the other and back again, was cheap and quick with stops at all the major destinations (in fact there's a stop just a few minute's walk from the Ibis Deira where we stayed). Can be a bit crowded sometimes, though nowhere near as bad as a lot of train services here in the UK.

Have a look around for a few hotels - as Latimer says, the city centre ones tend to be where most of the larger hotel chains are and they'll offer cheaper prices compared to, say, the Atlantis.

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
807 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what area to stay??

Have a look at Four Points Sheraton Whalid bin (bank stree) bur Dubai - was there new year. Paid £69.00 a night should be cheaper now. Central for metro 8 min walk. Also, large shopping centre. Staff are amazing see to your every need - nothing to much trouble. The rooms have been refurbished.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,563 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what area to stay??

There is no need to agree a fare before you get in - the official taxis are metered.

6. Re: what area to stay??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2011, 05:41