We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessability

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bracknell, Berkshire
Level Contributor
276 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Wheelchair accessability

Hi, has anyone had experience of wheelchair use in and around the Jumeirah Beach Hotel and down to the Madinet.

I will be going in July and I have a motorised wheelchair which is great for getting around...any help would be appreciated.

regards

Trevor

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair accessability

You'll be fine around the resort. It has ramps/lifts in most locations inside the hotel. Outside the hotel the paths are used for golf buggy transportation and segways so very flat and suitable for wheelchairs.

Bracknell, Berkshire
Level Contributor
276 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair accessability

SwissLe, thanks for the reply, can you tell me, will I be able to ride along the prom, next to the beach all the way to the Madinet, and if I can, will my wife be able to walk the distance, she is quite fit, but I'm not sure how far she would have to walk...thanks

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair accessability

You will be able to go all the way along the promenade next to the beach but I don't know how you would get across the canal to the Madinat - as far as I recall there are stairs to get over the bridge.

Your wife could get a buggy or she could walk but it will take about 15-20 minutes.

You may be better going to the front entrance of the Mina a Salam and going into the Madinat souk from there.

Bracknell, Berkshire
Level Contributor
276 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair accessability

Latimer, Hi, thanks for the response, I am capable of walking about 100 meters before I would need to sit down, If we went on the Buggy, are the shops and restaurants around The Madinet quite close together so I wouldn't need to walk too much.

regards

Trevor

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,391 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair accessability

I hope I can explain this properly for you.

The buggies go from Jumeirah Beach hotel round the beach side of the Madinat ( the back) and I honestly can't see how a wheelchair user can then get across to the Madinat Souk easily - this is pretty poor when you stop to think about it.

The buggies first stop is at the back of the Mina A Salam hotel but then you have to go up the first floor of the hotel and to the front of it to be on the same level as the majority of shops in the Madinat. Your only other alternative at this point is to take an abra, which I would think is out of the question and then when you get off the abra you would be faced with a large flight of stairs.

Then the buggies carry on to the bridge mentioned above, which gets you to the first floor of the Al Qasr hotel but has many steps.

I think your best bet to get to the Madinat souk is via the front entrance of Mina A Salam because then you are on the right level so you would need to get a buggy from Jumeirah Beach to the font entrance of the Mina.

I think the promenade bit may be an option if you just want a nice trip up and down the promenade.

Perhaps someone else can advise better because I am only going from memory.

London, United...
Level Contributor
805 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wheelchair accessability

Have you been to Dubai before? My husband has an electric chair at home but uses a manual in Dubai. It's quite difficult to use elect ic or manual chairs here. For example Jumeriah beach walk has some dropped kerps but these are not opposite each other - so you sometimes need to go on to the road. The paths and roads have silly little bricks. I have to push my husband around. He has to very often get out/in his chair un/down paths. It can be done if someone pushes you and you can do a few steps in between. Hotels are quite difficult but the staff will always help you. You may not be able to use you chair as at home. Also, the kerps can be very high here.

are

7. Re: Wheelchair accessability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 15:19