We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

We are stopping over in Dubai for just one night from the UK. Would it be cheaper to purchase our duty free items in UK or Dubai? Am I right in thinking we can take a mix of 4?

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

http://www.dubaidutyfree.com/

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

Thanks it made interesting reading. Can you answer my question, pls?

Scotland
Level Contributor
645 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

I have just returnned from Dubai the only thing I bought at the duty free was 1ltr bottle off Smirnof Vodka it was just over £8 my wife was looking at perfume but did moot buy any she said it was cheaper at Newcastle Duty Free

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

What duty free items do you want to buy ? - that will make it easier to answer your question.

When you say a mix of 4 are you just refering to alcohol or other items ?

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

If you are looking to purchase duty free on arrival in Dubai its much more expensive than the UK.

I made the mistake over Xmas as I waited until I arrived to purchase champagne and it was approx £15 a bottle dearer. I wont make that mistake again.

You are allowed 4 bottles.

However If you are puchasing duty free on departure then its really cheap.

Hope this helps

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

Sorry to charge in again BUT the poster is in Dubai for one night, therefore, buying 4 bottles of booze may not be advisable because they may not be able or allowed to take it on to their next destination because of customs regulations at their final destination.

Of course, all of this goes by the wayside if the poster doesn't mean 4 bottles of booze or indeed does mean 4 bottles of booze and intends either

a) drink it all during their one night in Dubai.

b) buy it and throw it away if they can't drink it all

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

Thanks. We will take 2 bottles of wine with us to drink in Dubai and if spirits are cheaper in Aus. than at duty free when leaving Dubai, we will also take them with us, as it seems 4 bottles are allowed.

Does anyone know?

Thanks again.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

I would check the "rules" for Australia re bringing in alcohol. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you can bring any duty free into the country. They have a Duty Free at the airport when you arrive (similar to Dubai).

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,131 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

You are allowed to buy 4 bottles of anything at Dubai Duty free in arrivals to take into Dubai.

On leaving Dubai you can buy as much as you like BUT you need to check the customs regulations of where you are landing, which I think is Austrailia - you will be able to find their customs regulations on line.

For example going back to the UK the customs allowance is only 1 litre of spirits so whilst I could buy 4 litres in Dubai airport on the way out I would be breaking the UK customs regulations if I carried it back to the UK

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost comparison of duty free alcohol

I am leaving Brisbane Australia airport, stopover in Dubai and then on to Heathbrow London, where is the cheapest to purchase duty free alcohol and cigarettes??