We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

Kilkenny
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

hey all,

just back after a week in Dubai so its my turn to return some advice after all the help I got in advance!

Arrived in Abu Dhabi and had a choice of fixed price cab or a metre cab...we were staying at Jumeirah lake towers area and said we would take a chance with a metre cab - fixed was 275AED...metre cab cost us 150AED!!! so def go for metre.

We stayed in the Bonnington hotel at jumeirah lake towers...perfect hotel and a 2 min walk to the metro stop so was ideal. Metro so so cheap...about 2.40AED a journey so like 50cent!!! put about €12 worth on a card and did us for the week!! def worth using the metro if going to somewhere there is a stop eg mall of emirates, gold and diamond park (First gulf bank stop) etc as the same journey by cab is maybe 10 times the price by cab...still not a lot but if doing a journey 5/6 times a day...difference between 15AED and 115AED each day!

Entertainer book def of use...we contacted them thorugh the site and they delivered it straight to the hotel...cost €68. hardly used any of it at all, you would want to live there to use it all but still saves a load!!

what we did over there:

Aquaventure waterpark at Atlantis - loved it. just myself and my husband but we had a ball and the private beach is just lovely. well worth a visit if you like water parks!

Ski dubai - never skiied before so did a discovery lesson (150AED each) entertainer voucher only covers the 2 hour slope - only suiteds to expereinced skiers so had to pay in full for us both. great craic and a nice taster of skiing for an hour!

Burj khalifa - to be honest was fine but wouldnt get too excited about it, have been on every tall building of every city Ive been to, but this was the least exciting I thought. No area to sit and have a coffee so it really is just go up, have a look and leave. we had planned on staying for sunset but having gone up at 5pm and with nothing up there just left after an hour! maybe im being unfair but not sure i would bother if i had known what is was like before. Also visibility quite poor in dubai so couldnt even see that far.

Burj al Arab - booked skyview bar for 7pm one night and loved it! spectacular hotel and got a lovely window seat where we stayed till 10.30pm. Ok it is over priced at 85-100AED per drink with minimum spend of 225 AED a person. But in comparision to spending 100AED for the burj khalifa, would def spend it on a trip to the burj al arab instead!!

Gold and diamond park - having looked in a good few places, Cara beat them all...as I have heard from a few before I left. Dealt with Sunil, lovely man and really helpful. Met the owner, a gas man!! Bought a ring and a diamond bangle braclet for nothing in comparision to what it costs here in ireland. Its the only shop that is full and that says enough.

Jumeirah beach park - lovely day out. Point to note - dont bother lugging beach towels across the world, can be rented at the beach for 5AED and an umbrella for 5AED, as well as 5AED entrance. can also rent towels at aquaventure by the way

Mall of emirates / dubai mall / ibn battua - all the high end shops and high street shops except all the european high street shops, way dearer than at home so didnt buy any clothes at all...stuck to jewellary!

gold souk - found it over whelming, preferred the calm of the gold and diamond district and I also found more haggling at the G+D rather then the souks.

I am a coeliac and for any of ye out there that are - Dubai is a disaster for GF food!!! some in the supermarkets but the restaurants havent a clue what it is. So just stick to griled meats, potatos, rice and veg!! did find one restaurant with a GF menu - Carluccios in the Marina mall and Dubai mall. Also wagamammas was good. Ate in Applebees too and they were very helpful. Also there was an NYC fries place and was great as they only do fries so could actually eat chips for first time since I was diagnosed.

overall a lovely trip, nice and relaxing..great weather between 28 - 35c each day...def bring a pashmina as a lady, can put it in the handbag and pull it out as needed...its cold in the malls so you need to wear a lot of clothes but pashmina handy for restaurants etc

will be happy to give any further info if anyone needs it!

:-)

Stoke-on-Trent...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

brill info !!! i,ve booked the atlantis for 4 days in march then mauritius for a wk but want to make the most of my 4 days any ideas ??? what is the money ... sorry have,nt a clue x

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

Thanks very much that was a very informative report. We have had a 2night stopover on the way back from Oz, but really only expored the Creek. Going for 2 weeks in Nov, 10 days in Deria & 4 at the Marina. Wish it was sooner after reading your report! Which Ententainer book did you buy?

Thanks Sylvia

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

thanks very much foryour contribution have been to dubai a few times but have never used the metro so really good to hear the positive views. Will definitely be using it in July

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

What is the money - haven't got a clue

Think you need to do some more research - by the way it is the UAE Dirham, also known as AED or dhs.

Edited: 25 April 2011, 20:08
Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

good job the poster who doesnt known the currency is not going to japan etc . hol spends done in a day, dubai can also be pricey though.

Perth ,Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

Thanks for your great report and advice! We are looking forward to our 3 days in October :-). When you say about the Gold and Diamond Park, and mention Cara, is that a person in a particular store, or the actual name of the store?

Can we just taxi it there?

Thanks again.

PomPerth.

Kilkenny
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

Just in reply to the questions above:

Firstly - as mentioned currency is UAE dirhams - called AED. its about €1 = 5.30 AED

also in terms of your 4 days acopeland - you will get to do loads in that time to be honest. In terms of what to do, a lot depneds on if you are just a couple or with children. If I was to recommend what to do for 4 days I'd say it would be:

day 1: visit Dubai creek, souks etc followed by burj khalifa in the evening

day 2: visit to ski dubai and the mall of the emirates. Evening at dubai marina, jumeirah beach walk

day 3: aquaventure at atlantis and time at the private beach.

day 4: visit gold and diamond park followed by afternoon tea / drinks in burj al arab (must book in advance)

got the family entertainer book - we were just a couple but a family would def get more value out of it that we did as there is 3 of every voucher so if you are 2 adults and 2 children, its great! Also Sylvia you will love to see the rest of the city...Id say the creek was nice but the whole place is just lovely - down by the marina and Juneirah beach walk all so new and lovely!

Cara is the name of the shop. There are 2 caras in the shopping centre - but they are across from each other and the same shop. You can of course get a taxi there as everyone knows it, just so easy to get the metro as it stops outside it so was so easy to get to. Probably depends on where your hotel is really, if its not on the metro line taxi is best.

Def agree with slwatkins, dubai is pricey for lots of things, like sight seeing, food and drink in certain places but then taxis, metro, jewellery all reasonable so it all balances out!

Enjoy your visit!!!

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

i would also recommend cara in the gold and diamond park , not as posh as others but does the job.

hants
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

I was in Dubai about 2 weeks ago and as for currency I got about 5.9 to the pound.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back so a few pieces of info for future travellers!!

"Cara is the name of the shop. There are 2 caras in the shopping centre - but they are across from each other and the same shop."

Not quite true, the other shop is called Clio, but yes they are owned by the same people.