We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar exchange rate in dubai at the moment

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading
Level Contributor
203 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar exchange rate in dubai at the moment

Does anyone know how i can check what the exchange rate is at for USD in dubai at the moment, (approx figure, in a shop in a mall).

I dont know whether its worth me changing my GBP into USD in the UK, or just wait and change my AED to USD.

Any help would be great!

thanks,

Katie

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
952 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar exchange rate in dubai at the moment

The AED is pegged to USD at the rate of 3.67 AED to 1 USD. This does not change. You won't get that exact rate at the exchange counter but it doesn't vary more than fractions of a cent.

Reading
Level Contributor
203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar exchange rate in dubai at the moment

ah thats great, thanks.

im going to have to get my calculator out now....

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar exchange rate in dubai at the moment

You'll be screwed changing GBP to USD in the UK, and then charged again for the AED transaction in DXB, it's very unlikely to work out cheaper.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar exchange rate in dubai at the moment

Why would you " just wait and change my AED to USD." ?

If you're coming to the UAE why would you change the local currency (AED) to US$ and then have to change it back again?

Sorry, your post is very confusing.

Reading
Level Contributor
203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar exchange rate in dubai at the moment

Im coming to dubai for so will need aed but not sure what we have planned so don't know how much money I will need.

Then im going to the Maldives so will need usd.

So basically my decision is either taking all my gbp to dubai and changing it there, or change it in the uk before I go.

Does that make a bit more sense?

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar exchange rate in dubai at the moment

Hi Kathie

You really want to avoid a double change at all costs, in the Maldives you really only need US dollars for tips everything else goes on the bill which most people pay with plastic. Much the same applies to Dubai although there is a bigger requirement for cash (Dirhams) than in the Maldives but still all purchases and hotel bills can be paid with plastic so your talking taxi fares and small transactions. As I've said elsewhere unless you're changing large amounts a point or two on the exchange rate makes very little difference

Regards

Doug

Reading
Level Contributor
203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar exchange rate in dubai at the moment

So if im changing £800-1000, the best rate I can find today is 5.7 so for 1000 that's 5700.

Does anyone know the rate today ish in dubai?

Infact I've probably left it too late to order in uk anyway doh

8. Re: Dollar exchange rate in dubai at the moment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 06:16