We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress to show respect

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,703 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Dress to show respect

This is an item from Emirates nees about respectful clothing in Mall of the Emirates.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress to show respect

That's a great information video Latimer but, we were there at MoE this morning and have to say that " expats" of all nationalities were showing pretty much no respect at all.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress to show respect

Sadly the same story at Mirdif last Friday.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
45,703 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress to show respect

Yes, I know.

I recall a lady in Souk al Bahar last November in a boob tube and shorts so short you could see her butt cheeks - maybe she enjoyed the pointing and staring or maybe she was just oblivious to it.

Some dress to show respect and some don't but the advice is all there - if people choose to read it and watch the video

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
720 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress to show respect

Its so difficult to 'ask' people to be respectful. Many people choose to ignore it. Its a simple task to put on the doors, respectful clothing MUST be worn, and have guards turning those inproperly dressed away. Personally I think the law should be inforced, as it is here in kuwait. In 3 years here i only ever saw one person in a strappy top, the local women soon see them off in any case :-)

yorkshire
Level Contributor
207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress to show respect

Quite a useful video it just clarifys a few points I would agree that it would be an idea to either have guards turning inappropriatly dressed people away, or perhaps someone selling cheap shawls/blouses or other appropriate items for ladies to cover their shoulders . Wherever you go in the world you should respect different cultures and if you cant or dont want to go somewhere else.

Leicester
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress to show respect

When I went to the malls the air con was very good and I needed a lightweight jacket on anyway I wouldn't want to be wearing next to nothing. There were some people showing shoulders but they seem not to mind so much about tourists. I didn't see anyone getting turned away in any case.

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress to show respect

I agree everyone should respect the local customs & traditions.

West Kilbride...
Level Contributor
972 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress to show respect

When I 1st visited MOE in 2010 I made the mistake of wearing shorts which stopped just above my knees, although my top half was very well covered. Was surprised at the amount of looks I received.

Not to make the same mistake when we visited last month I packed my suitcase with more care. To say I was shocked with some of the outfits was an understatement. We had many conversations regarding decency.

California
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress to show respect

The thing is most tourists in Dubai are on a short visit, for 2-3 days which is why non bother to research on the local culture.

I think it's not too hard to blend in, but that's only possible when people want to.

middlesex
Level Contributor
123 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress to show respect

I always take long linen trousers and cheap cardi, how hard is it to purchase these £10 in 'pri marni'. I did make the mistake of taking off my jacket whilst at the Gold Souk the first year in Dubai (no hadnt found TA then) and everyone was going to prayer and looking at me, but I soon put it back on once as I'd realised I was being disrespectful. The Malls are so well air conditioned you'll need a cardi or something. Evening is just either a cardi or light pasmina again everywhere is air con. I even take my pashmina on the plane outbound as it assists with the wafer thin blankets they give you. 'Respect' is a common and cool! word so show some.