We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging/Upgrading jewellery

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Exchanging/Upgrading jewellery

Hi folks

I'm visiting Dubai next month and plan to take my diamond e-ring to be upgraded/exchanged for a new one. We originally bought the ring in the G&D park around 3 years ago.

My questions are is it worth taking the IGI certificate I received with the diamond with me to show the shop and also can I expect to get the same amount of money that we paid for it as the exchange value.

I've never exchanged jewellery before so don't know what to expect.

Thanks for your time :)

Porthcawl, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging/Upgrading jewellery

I would definately take the certificate with you. In the uk a jeweller if buying a second hand ring would give you say a quarter of the new value to put the item out at half the new price, second hand. Obviously if you are part exchanging you would get a much better rate however it would depend on how much they need the business to what the value would be.

I wouldn't expect any where near the new value but you never know. Gold especially has Increased in value over the last three years globally, however the major cost of the diamond ring would be the diamond 4 C's as they say Carat, Cut, Clarity, Colour and also Certification.

I have no experience of how it works in Dubai but speak from experience of working in the jewellery industry in the Uk

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,502 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging/Upgrading jewellery

It depends what you want to do with it.

The gold will have a higher value than it did 3 years ago and they usually take stuff and melt it down anyway so if you are keeping the same stone you may be surprised at the price you get for the gold.

I would go back to the shop where you bought it or failing that one close by and take your certificate too.

If you simply want to exchange it for something else then go to wherever gives you the best trade in price off what you want to buy.

You will definitely get a better price for whatever it is and whatever you do with it than you would in the UK

Bath, United Kingdom
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging/Upgrading jewellery

Thanks for your advice. Now I think I'll definitely take it to Dubai and see what I'm offered and take it from there.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging/Upgrading jewellery

I'm assuming the process is similar in Dubai to Abu Dhabi if in the gold souk shops. Once you've found what you want and the exchange/upgrade price is agreed you will need to take your ID (passport) and paperwork for selling your old jewellery approved in the police office there.

ILME

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging/Upgrading jewellery

I have done this on a couple of occasions at the G&D park you will be amazed they will track back the price - I usually take my receipt and to be honest havent taken the certificate but taken photocopy just in case changed my mind and ended up having to travel through customs with a cert. I am not sure how successful you will be taking other gold / diamonds not bought at the stop to trade in. I have traded in other 'bits and bobs' to be honest now I kind of regret it you wont get as much as you hope.

I will be paying the said shop a visit again in a few weeks to upgrade too.

PM me if you have any other queries

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,502 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging/Upgrading jewellery

Never had to have my passport taken to the police office to do this in Dubai - hve just done it in the jeweller

7. Re: Exchanging/Upgrading jewellery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 23:16