We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - My 40th Birthday Trip - 23/04 - 29/04

Norwich, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - My 40th Birthday Trip - 23/04 - 29/04

Firstly many thanks to the various contributors who posted answers to my questions. And a big thank you to Latimer who worked out my itinerary for me!

Day 1 - Saturday 23rd April:

We had a short flight from Norwich to Amsterdam and then the flight from Amsterdam to Dubai. All good, first time with KLM and I was very impressed, efficient staff, nice planes and plentiful of choice on the IFE. A nice start to the holiday.

Day 2 - Sunday 24th April:

We arrived on time and it was already 28®C. The passage through the airport was very smooth and efficient, I changed some money from sterling to dirhams, purchased a DU visitor SIM card and also some drinks from the duty free for consumption in our hotel room.

There was a bit of confusion with getting the car from the airport to the Grosvenor House Hotel. I had emailed with my arrival flight details and times, but for some reason it had not been received. I also did not see the booth in the airport for the GHH. Anyway a phone call later and it was all sorted and very shortly we were in a nice air conditioned BMW with a cold towel and a bottle of water.

Upon arrival at the GHH we were very impressed with the hotel, check in was conducted in the room and everything explained to us. Shortly after that we were sitting in Sloane’s having breakfast (as I had requested it on our arrival day and not our departure day – due to flight times).

After a short rest, we hit the pool area for the rest of the afternoon, we were kept topped up with cold water and ice.

That evening, we checked out the Grosvenor Club Lounge, a few drinks later we got a taxi to JBR and decided to eat in The Butcher Shop. We used an Entertainer voucher here and the meal was very nice and also reasonably priced.

Taxi back to the GHH and that did us for the day.

Day 3 - Monday 25th April:

Breakfast was taken in Sloane’s once again this morning and then we hit the pool until it shaded over at about 1.00PM. We could have moved about a bit to catch a few more rays, but that was enough for us for the day.

After narrowly missing the GHH courtesy bus to Mall Of The Emirates, we got a taxi there instead. Had a look around a few of the shops and had to check out the ski slope. Obligatory tourist photos taken, we got another taxi to the Dubai Museum. Paid the 3AED and had a look around the museum for a while. Upon leaving there we made our way to the creek using a small map I had purchased at the museum. Found the creek and the Abra’s and caught one of those to the other side of the creek and the Spice and Gold Souks.

Upon entering the spice Souk got lots of offers to check out some watches, sunglasses and handbags, etc. Most of the vendors were pleading with us to visit their shops. We had a wander through the Spice Souk and then the Gold Souk, but to be honest it was not our thing and we only lasted about an hour before catching a taxi back to the GHH.

It was happy hour time (or hours!) in the club lounge, so we went in there for a while before catching the GHH shuttle to Le Royal Meridien. From here we walked to JBR and decided to try India Palace. We had a lovely meal in here and after using an Entertainer Voucher, the total bill was about £16! Great value.

Walked back to LRM and caught the shuttle back to GHH.

Day 4 - Tuesday 26th April:

This was my birthday day, so we decided to take breakfast in Sloane’s for a change!

We then caught the shuttle to LRM and went to their beach. Had a lovely morning relaxing on the beach and the sea was lovely and warm.

We left the LRM via shuttle back to the GHH, freshened up and this time managed to catch the GHH bus to the Dubai Mall. Had a look around here and then collected our pre-booked tickets for the Burj Khalifa. We went up there at 6PM and had a look around and checked out the views. We did make the sunset though as we got a bit bored and wanted to move on!

We went into Souk Al Bahar and found a bar to while away the time, until our 9.30PM reservation at The Mango Tree. The time soon passed, aided by a few drinks and soon we were seated on the terrace at The Mango Tree. Had an OK meal here, the food here was nice but the service was not good! Also it was very hot and stuffy on the terrace. So, all in all for the money we paid we did not overly rate this meal or place. The food had been as good in India Palace the night before and it was a fraction of the cost of The Mango Tree!

We caught a taxi back to the GHH and found a card and a lovely birthday cake in our room for my birthday, a very nice touch by the Grosvenor.

Day 5 - Wednesday 27th April:

This morning we came close to trying breakfast in the Club Lounge, but instead opted for Sloane’s! (as you may have guessed the breakfast in here was really good!)

As usual, we spent the morning by the pool before getting ready for our Desert Safari. When I asked the hotel about a Desert Safari they recommended Arabian Adventures, but I particularly wanted either North Tours or Desert Rangers as they had a coupon in the Entertainer Book. I decided in the end on North Tours and was not disappointed (I have posted a review on our experience).

The Desert Safari with Dinner was without doubt the highlight of our holiday. We had a great time, saw some amazing things and enjoyed some really good company.

That did us for the rest of today as we retired to our room, once we were dropped back off by our guide.

Day 6 - Thursday 28th April:

This was our last day in Dubai and to celebrate our last breakfast, we once again frequented Sloane’s! I tried to sample most of the offerings to go out in style but the wide choice defeated me, I gave it a good go though!

We then spent the morning by the pool. Whilst the good lady was catching the last few rays of sunshine, before it disappeared behind the building, I went to check in for our flight home.

Once again the service at the GHH was impeccable here. At guest services, we were checked in for our flights and boarding passes printed. An early morning wake up call was sorted, pots of tea were ordered for our early morning rise (delivered to the room), the luggage was arranged to be collected and the car to take us to the airport was booked. Very good customer service.

We freshened up after the pool morning and caught a taxi over to the Madinat Souk. A quick look around there, some last minute gifts purchased and then we caught another taxi over to the Burj Al Arab for our 4.00PM afternoon tea reservation.

After getting through security we were dropped off at the front doors to this impressive hotel. Many of the usual tourist pictures were taken of the entrance and the lobby! We made our way up to the Skyview Bar and checked in for afternoon tea. Afternoon tea was taken and thoroughly enjoyed. The food and tea was good and plentiful and the service was very attentive. Even at the price it was (425AED each), it was an experience I am glad we did. We left after eating lots of food and sampling the great views.

We requested a buggy ride to the Madinat Souk and we then caught a taxi from there back to the GHH. We were in time and dressed appropriately for the club lounge (I had been asked to change my clothes earlier in the week when I entered the lounge in shorts!), so we went in there until 8PM on our last evening and had a few complimentary drinks. No snacks tonight as we were stuffed from the afternoon tea!

Back to the room and then packed. We did contemplate going over the JBR for a drink and something to eat but decided against it in the end. So our last evening was spent packing and drinking the rest of our duty free on the balcony.

Day 7 - Friday 29th April:

Our various alarms went off at 4.30AM and the tea was delivered. So we got ready and checked out without any problems. We waved goodbye to this glorious hotel and were not surprised at its rating on Trip Advisor, the staff here make this hotel and I have never known customer service like it.

Soon we were winging our way back to the airport and arrived there at 5.25AM. Checked in and deposited our luggage very easily. Everything in Dubai seems to run so very smoothly.

The time soon passed and before long we were boarding the flight to take us back to Amsterdam. Good flight home, we had a few hours to kill at Schiphol and the wife managed to find a bar showing the Royal Wedding, so I had to endure that for a couple of hours. Again before we knew it, it was time to board for the short (30 mins) flight to Norwich and all too soon we were back home once again.

We really enjoyed Dubai and have said we would like to revisit with our Children to get more of a family slant on it. It does seems very well setup for families.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - My 40th Birthday Trip - 23/04 - 29/04

Hi Siddex

Thanks for your report, making me excited we are going to Dubai 31 of this month to celebrate my 40th Birthday. Staying at LRM but will also visit GHH for drinks at Buddah, did you try this bar?

Interested to see you where bored with Burj Khalifa, what would be your opinion on going to the top (or half way) at night-time? we are toying with this idea because we thought that we will view the sunset at Burj Al Arab when we do afternoon tea?

Did you enjoy fountains?

Thanks

Debbie

Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - My 40th Birthday Trip - 23/04 - 29/04

Fabulous trip report, you've packed in quite a lot for your first trip! We loved GHH and would go back in an instant, know just what you mean about Sloanes and the choice!

Debbie

The Buddha bar is a must! I will go back again next month when we're in Dubai. Hubby and I ate there and although the food was gorgeous it was very expensive, I would rather spend my money for food in Mezannine. We will just go in for drinks this time as the atmosphere was buzzing.

Norwich, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - My 40th Birthday Trip - 23/04 - 29/04

Hi Debbie,

We did not try the Buddha Bar, as did not get around to it, but it was on our list of places to try. Maybe next time!

We did spend about 40 minutes at the top (or as near as you can get!) of the Burj Khalifa, the views were very good, if not a little hazy in places. I don't know at night time, because I am not sure what you would be able to see. Maybe someone a little better informed can advise you.

Thanks

Mark

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
719 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - My 40th Birthday Trip - 23/04 - 29/04

So glad you liked htis hotel its my absolute favourite in the world x I am so biased x

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,510 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - My 40th Birthday Trip - 23/04 - 29/04

Thank you for coming back on to write a trip report - it's really appreciated when people come back to tell us about their trip.

6. Re: Trip Report - My 40th Birthday Trip - 23/04 - 29/04

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 02:15