We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai currency denominations

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai currency denominations

We leave Friday for our long awaited trip to Dubai

It's our first trip so need some help if possible.

I'm going to buy my currency tomorrow, what size notes should we get? As I've been told it pays to get some lower value notes for tipping? But as 10AED is only about £2 wasn't sure what size notes we should carry for this? As we obviously don't want to appear brash but also don't want to appear tight arses lol.

Also, is it better to change money here or there?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai currency denominations

I wouldn;t bother changing any here, the exchange rate is better there.

There is a money exchange just after immigration, by duty free and just before you collect your bags.

The notes start at 5 dirham nd then you have 10, 20, 50, 100 and 500 in general circulation. There may be higher ones but 500 is the largest note I have had.

5 dirham per bag is fine for the guys that carry your bags at the hotel and taxis just round up to nearest 10.

10 dirahm is considered to be quite a good tip, even though it is less than £2

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai currency denominations

There are also 200 Dirham and 1000 Dirham notes.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai currency denominations

Thanks for this it's perfect advise, just what we needed.

Very much appreciated.

Do you know if it's also better to simply use debit cards etc to obtain currency or better to take cheques or English currency etc?

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai currency denominations

Hi Pompeytale

ATM's work just fine with debit cards in Dubai no need for travellers cheques or notes.Nationwide debit card is one of the best cards for rates and minimal charges

Regards

Doug

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai currency denominations

Thanks Doug :-)

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai currency denominations

My advice, for what its worth re currency: And this from watching my daughter who lives there, whenever we went anywhere, and the taxi came to say 23 dhm, she just told him, “30” same applied whenever we were eating out, she just told them what to round it up to and they just gave her the change back. Another thing, and It helped me, - I separated the smaller denominations, because the 5 and the 50 are browinish, so I got confused in the beginning. When you get your change back from your purchases, just keep aside, the 10s and the 5s, then you will always have the smaller denominations for tipping should you need them

A note of caution! – and I didn’t cop it until I got my statement that , but using your Credit Card attracts an additional charge of 1.75% of the total purchase so its 1.75% extra on your purchase no matter how much you spend, not a lot on small items but if you plan to spend a couple of hundred at a time it can add up - I wasn’t aware of it until I got my statement. I did check when I came back and found that my laser/Maestro had a minimum and maximum charge for cash withdrawals abroad, so for larger sums, it might be worth looking into as it might work out cheaper for the larger purchases to withdraw from the ATM rather than putting it on your card! (you can agree with your bank before you go what you would like your maximum withdrawal per day should be and it is also a good idea to do this as the Bank will be aware you are in Dubai and it saves them blocking your card thinking there is something suspicious going on with your account also!!)

Enjoy Dubai, It brilliant!!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai currency denominations

All this feedback is brilliant thank you very much it really is appreciated.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai currency denominations

For travel you can get credit cards that do not charge a transaction charge.

I use a Credit card from Santander I think also Nationwide and the Post Office do them.

I keep my Santander card only for my holidays just let them know before you travel where you are going and you dates. Just for the record they told me one of the worst places for duff cards being used is Heathrow Airport!!!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubai currency denominations

I also advise perspective here as to cost versus convenience.

Cautionary advise is always welcome but a 1.75% charge is £1.75 per £100, so £ 8.75 for each £500 and so on.

Relativity and convenience together with the added security that comes with the protection you get on credit card purchases should also be a consideration.

So you could take a wad of sterling and then hoof round Dubai by cab for the best exchange rate

or

use an ATM to withdraw the equivalent wad of dirham from an ATM after having remembered to call your bank before you go to increase your dialy limit

or

if you've remebered and have the time to take out a new card before you go with a bank that may or may not charge a better rate than the one you have you can use that credit card

or just

use the one you have and pay £1.75 more per hundred pounds for each transaction.

You could knock yourself out worrying about 1.75% extra in charges that may add up to a whole £25 or £30 on your holiday to a 5* destination at 5* prices.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubai currency denominations

Latimer. - Your advice as usual is spot on. As you say for the safety of it all, using your credit card is probably the best, I was merely setting out my personal experience! Hey, if you can afford to go to Dubai, and indeed buy something nice then the extra 1.75% charge shouldn't make or break the deal in any event. If you have it to spend, spend it, Dubai will certainly give you plently of choices.

Tweetie57.