We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how expensive is Dubai

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
how expensive is Dubai

I will be in Dubai for a week, and I'm not really on a budget but at the same time I'm not wanting to go overboard with my money. The exchange rate from AUD to AED is fantastic, but I'm stuck on how much to take so I'm wondering how expensive Dubai is on a general basis and I hear that the shopping is great but how expensive is that too?

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,785 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how expensive is Dubai

Well, good to know the exchange rate is good because I would hate to be going when it's not.

This will be our first visit and I was very surprised to realise the cost of things. Fortunately, we're not on a budget either.

We're only there for two days so we've worked out an itinerary and the approx costs - just to give an idea so know how much cash we'll need - which won't be a great deal as it is easiest to use a card.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how expensive is Dubai

If your exchange rate is great then some things may be cheaper for you to buy and then some may not.

Dubai is as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be.

You can eat in a 5* restaurant every night or you can eat more cheaply. You can spend 800 AUS $ on a meal or you can spend 20 AUS $

Taxis and the metro are very cheap for getting around the city.

Hotels range from cheap and cheerful to more than 1800 AUS $ a night depending also on when you go.

I would say that you will find most things to be the same or cheaper than they would be in Sydney, except for alcohol, which will be more expensive.

I take a limited amount of cash and use the ATM machines to get more. And then I use credit cards too

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how expensive is Dubai

I would say that most things in Dubai are 'expensive'.

Whilst you can easily not spend much, eat in cheap Indian restaurants and stay at the lower end of town, doing more traditional touristy things, eating out in decent places and going to 'nice' bars is going to be pricey.

Taxis are are good value compared to Europe, but that's about where it stops.

Dubai has a reputation for being great for shopping, but that reputation is based on having a large selection compared to the rest of the region, as opposed to being good value.

It's not a cheap place to come on holiday at all.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how expensive is Dubai

But it's realtive.

I didn't say it was a cheap place to go on holiday, it isn't - most major cities are not usually a cheap place for a holiday.

I said that is is as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be and there are decent restaurants and bars all over town that you wouldn't class as expensive - a meal out for two people in a really nice bistro ex alcohol will certainly be cheaper than eating in the equivalent type of place in most other cities.

And then there are all the buffet style 'all you can eat and drink' type places that offer really good value. Several of them are not in the 'lower end of town'

It's not a cheap place to go on holiday if you stay in a 5* hotel and eat in a high end restaurant every night but that is true for other cities too

London
Level Contributor
56 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how expensive is Dubai

As someone who lives in London we found Dubai in line with London prices for everything apart from taxis/metro (cheaper) and alcohol (more expensive). In most average type restaurants main courses range from about 40-80AED.

I agree with the other comments and you can definitely make it more or less expensive if you want but you never want to budget yourself too much.

With regards to the shopping, I've never been to Sydney so can't comment but the shopping for clothes etc was very much in line with London also, didn't see any bargains and most of the shops could be found in the UK anyway. Souks are a different kettle of chips and you can haggle down gold and diamonds.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,872 posts
1,771 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how expensive is Dubai

My last visit was relatively cheaper as the £ was better than the last few years.

We stayed in the Bur Dubai area and found things were priced better there.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how expensive is Dubai

Hi Babyroo7

Do you want to buy it then???

Regards

Doug

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how expensive is Dubai

well doug you sound a ?????????????????

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how expensive is Dubai

As a one time visitor to Dubai I think redstar has summed it up ideally.I enjoyed it for the experience and we didn't make any attempt to economise but I don't think I will be returning unless I win on the lottery.For mere mortals it is expensive.For hedge fund managers,Premiership footballers and City banker types it is probably their treat place as they can afford it.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,996 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how expensive is Dubai

I am a mere mortal and there are lots of mere mortals that go every year sometimes more than once.

You don't have to win the lottery to stay there, although granted you can stay in some very nice places if you do.

It doesn't have to be an expensive place to visit and you can do it on a fairly strict budget - I do so every year.

I also have been fortunate enough to stay in some of the hugely expensive places and eat in some very nice restaurants BUT not every night.

I don't disagree about hedge fund managers, Premiership footballers and city banker types seeing it as a treat place and I'm sure they have a lovely time because they don't have to think about the cost of anything.

But us mere mortals have a great time too.