We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in dubai, advice needed

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
one day in dubai, advice needed

In February 2012 i will land at Dubai airport at 11:35am on a friday and fly on to Newcastle the following morning at 7:50am. I am looking for a hotel (£50 / £75) that allows check-in from 12:00 noon as i don't want to waste my day sitting in a lobby for a couple of hours. I would also like a hotel near the old town or bazaars as i have no interest in shopping malls. We would just like to walk about for a couple of hours and see some of the tradional / older sights them maybe have a meal in a traditional restaurant. Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,114 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in dubai, advice needed

They will all allow you to check in at noon but your room may not be ready till after 2pm - that will depend on availability and the only way to guarantee having a room there and then is to book from the night before.

However, there is no need to hang around the lobby they will all store your bags and allow you to use the pool or the restaurants or you can head out.

That budget is not going to get you very far in February, it's highish season then so my advice would be to spend a bit more and ensure you have clean and comfortable accomodation.

This hotel is ideally suited for what you want to do

Arabian Courtyard

being as it is right oposite the museum and 5 minutes walk to the heritage area and textile souk, also only 10 minutes walk to the creekside for the abra station. In this area are also the old Sheiks House, the old school house etc

It may cost a wee bit more (around £100) but I can highly recommend it - I have stayed there three times myself.

There is a minor inconvenience for you in that Friday is Holy day in Dubai and everything in the older and more traditional areas, with the exception of a few shops and cafes is closed until 4pm but after that it is a normal day and all shops and markets are open till 10pm.

Bait al Wakheel overlooking the creek inside the textile souk would be my suggestion for a traditional restaurant in that area or Bastakiah Nights restaurant in Bastakiah and Basta Art Cafe (250 yards from the hotel) for a delicious light lunch until your room is ready.

Here are maps of the location and all of the things I mention above are marked on the maps. The hotel is oposite point 1 on the first map below

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

…nationalgeographic.com/city-guides/…

…nationalgeographic.com/city-guides/…

The hotel is only 15 minutes drive from the airport, which will cost 45 dirham in a cab including the standard airport pick up fee of 20 dirham and the hotel has a shuttle bus to take you back or you can easily just jump in another cab

Hope that helps

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in dubai, advice needed

What a great suggestion from Latimer, also you will be not far from Dubai Creek Abra, you can cross and experience the other side of Dubai - Deira gold and spice Souks.

Dubai friendly roads and streets:

dubai-travel-uae-guide.com/index.php?p=1_42

3. Re: one day in dubai, advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 00:16