We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
southampton
Level Contributor
65 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

What do you get?

is the main meal served at night, take off is at 10.00pm or is the larger meal the breakfast?

I am trying to plan whether to have dinner at the airport or just snack and get meal on plane and equally at the other end will we feel that we have had breakfast or is this just a snack and still worth getting breakfast on arrival at the hotel at about 8.00am?

any thoughts if you have done this route recently? should explain I am travelling with two hungry teenagers.

hants
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

last time we went with Virgin last September it was a hot meal shortly after take off choice of chicken or lamb if I remember rightly and a roll for breakfast.

London, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

Yep - that's about it. We did the night flight two weeks ago. The hot meal was served about an hour or so into the flight once they had handed out all the "special" meals and that takes quite a while!

Going out we had the choice of beef stew or fish pie, neither were very good. The drinks trolley comes out once otherwise you have to go to the galley after that and they are very restrictive on giving out alcohol.

Then about an hour and half or so before we were due to land tea and coffee came round with the choice of a cookie or a muffin.

If you are doing economy class don't expect too much. If you are doing Heathrow T3 then don't expect too much there either - it is pretty dire!

Edited: 22 July 2011, 20:50
London, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

On the flight coming back home we were prepared!

We had pringles, cakes and biscuits in the hand luggage!

The meal coming back was just as bad, we were on a daytime flight so lunch was a hot meal choice of fish and potatoes (tasteless mush) or vegetable pasta!!

The afternoon snack was tea or coffee and a brownie.

harlow, uk
Level Contributor
414 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

it also depends on where you are sitting on the plane....if you are at the back your choice may only be whether to eat or not!!!!!!!!

whatever it is it won t be great..........we did the same flights 08/07 LHR - DXB 16/07 DXB - LHR.

T3 at LHR is pants, but your best bet is probably the pub outlet before you go through security............up the escalators after bag drop and turn left and its in the far right hand corner. A good selection of food and it was nice too. Eat here and you can forego the plane food!!!!

On the return journey........well, be prepared...........you ll be leaving your hotel early and probably before breakfast is available............DXB has nothing really available for breakfast...McD's doesn t do breakfast........we ended up with Croissant at Costa Coffee.................and then the food on the plane well............the only choice left was some fish pie stodge.........and a cookie before landing!!!!!!!!..........it was rank.

Virgin is like ryanair in comparison to Emirates

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

When travelling economy it is always better to assume there will be no catering to your tastes and carry something on board from the airport. Then you can only be happy when there is something edible. I would also add that due to the outgoing time of this flight you'd want to eat before you board and then sleep for the journey to ensure you don't spend the first day like a zombie.

Most hotels start breakfast at 6am, especially the tourist ones, so you should also be able to eat before you leave for the airport on the return flight. Paul is probably the best bet for breakfast airside but be prepared for a walk to get to it.

If you are flying upper class then eat in the clubhouse before you depart, have a turndown and hot chocolate then get to bed sharpish. They also offer an express meal of you wish, then full breakfast before landing.

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

Gosh, after reading all these comments I am so glad I chose to travel with Emirates, looks like between the airport and the airline a packed lunch/dinner may be in order, good luck. Enjoy Dubai though, no disappointment there.

southampton
Level Contributor
65 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

Yes, well at least we will be prepared. Sadly our seats our near the back of the plane so we may draw the short straw as we are, sadly again in economy.

I have emailed the Dar al Masyaf to request breakfast on arrivel in exchange for the brekfast on Friday. They didn't say yes or no, but suggested I enquire at check in, so that may be the best breakfast option.

Thanks for the replies though very helpful as we fly out Tuesday.

Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

our airfrance economy meals were really nice.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

I am with liz neal on this one beef casserole or fish pie I decided only to have water and told to wait till drinks trolley followed behind trolley. Arrived some 20 mins later

Muffin for breakfast and cup of coffee that's your lot.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: meals on overnight Virgin flight from the UK

Meals on Qatar were spot on :-)