We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
tyne and wear
Level Contributor
995 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

report will follow

got 4 bags of washing to get through 1st :(

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

My god thats flown in

hope the not so good wasn't too bad :-)

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,140 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

Bloomin eck !

All that sleep counting and you're back already.

Really looking forward to reading all about it.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

Can't wait for your report, especially the not so good part.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

OMG can't believe your back already. Hope all's well and the "not so good" got sorted! Bring on the report............

Fiona

tyne and wear
Level Contributor
995 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

well here goes .......

flew emirates direct form newcastle ,arrived midnight , transfer with alpha tours was smooth and in a stunning jeep type car , it had a screen in which the driver used to reverse , i could do with one of them LOL

arrived at Al Qasr just before 1 am , greeted warmly , offered a cold towel and some dates , they took my hotel voucher from me and told us to take a seat , then the lady went to the computer ,then called someone else over , then looked at us , then called another person over , this went on for 10 minutes after which point i went over and asked if they was a problem , they said no , all is ok , i had confirmed my reservation by email a few days prior so its not like they did not know

anyway , off to the villa , quickly checked in and shown the room ,it was not well after half one in the morning , went to bed up for 8ish for breakfast at Al Qasr , was nice , but we prefered Al muna in the Mina ,you get a pot of tea in there so you can have it to your own taste , you know the brits ,e love our tea LOL

spend the day around Al Qasr pool , was quite busy , but not overly noisy , staff here are wonderful and the service great

went back to the room , not been cleaned , the guy turned up at 4.30 pm to do morning service !!!!! , noticed the door handle was hanging off and the bedside lamp not working , told the butler ,these were done when we got back in the evening . the room had not even been cleaned prior to our arrival , they was beer bottle tops around the seating area

went shopping in the evening to IBN Buttatta , our favourite mall , had dinner in SOY restaurant , was lovely food but no alcohol which does not bother us

next morning had breakfast by the Al qasr pool , again nice , not very busy , good selection of food and juices

spend the day around the Mina pool , great guys working here as well , very quiet , great view of the burj from here , had lunch in the pool bar , was lovely but very limited menu , got to know a lovely waiter called Joseph , lovely fella with a great sense of humour and a smile that could light up a room

this is where it starts to go wrong ........

had a bath as was a little sunburnt , thought it would take the sting out , got out and noticed water on the floor , me being me , just cleaned it up myself . .went and dried my hair then when i went back into the bathroom, there was what looked like liquid brown varnish pouring out the bath panel , called the bulter in , who then called maintenance , they came and said they would clean it up and fix it the next day , next morning after breakfast in they came and said they had sorted it , it told the butler i hoped it was sorted . and if it wasn't i wanted moved , i heard no more

the next day , i had rotten fruit in the bowl and dead flowers , these were not changed until later in the evening , we only got newspaper twice , we had to ask every other time for one

As we were going out i had another bath , was in my robe , when the phone rang , duty manager called SId ,asking if the bath was ok now , i told it was , and he said can someone come in and check , i said no . as i was trying to get dressed

he then told me the problem was because i over flowed the bath , which i told him didn't ...... i was not happy with what he said so i phoned him back later and told him i was not happy and he said his technician had said i had overflowed it , i told him you can't do that , as the bath has a overflow built in ,

he said we can mover you to another room , my husband went to look at it , but it was upstairs in a different villa , i told him we would stay where we were as long as they we no further problems , never heard from him or anyone else on the matter , so they were obviously not bothered , not what i expect from a 5 star resort

Another issue we had that everywhere we went , they asked my hubby who he was , we went to Al muna for lunch one day and 3 different people asked him who was while he was eating his lunch , i was away from the table and he told me when i got back , i seen someone else looking at him , so i asked if there was a problem , they said no , they were just checking he should be in there . why shouldn't he be ????!!!!!! by this point i'd had it it with the whole of Madinat Jumeriah .......

I was fuming , i'd gne to the resort for peace and quiet after losing my mam and my job in a matter of weeks , i certainly did not need the stress of dealing with all of the issues on a daily basis

the butlers , never seen the same one twice , one of them ever made a restaurant reservation for me and got the date wrong , after that i just made them myself , they was one butler called Eric who filled in while other had their break , he is a lovely guy , shame they aren't all like him

food..... ate at Go west in JBH . .......had a great nice , good food and they had a singing duo on , they weren't bad at all

went to Amala at the new hotel on the palm , this hotel is stunning , the spa is amazing , never seen anything like it , it makes other hotels look like travel lodges LOL

food in Amala was lovely and the service amazing , you have to go if you can

had lunch in the buffet restaurants a few times , good choice of food ,

went to the Wharf , nice food , had a singer on , was good but the music was so depressing , had a great waiter called Omar , really funny lovely guy , a credit to the place

went to Bahri bar a few times , they do lush cocktails

to sum it up , the Madinat is a stunning resort , immaculate , the staff are a credit to the hotels , the restaurants are all good if not fantastic , but after our experience would we go back ..NO CHANCE !!!!

i've probs missed some stuff out , will add it as i remember

Bonnybridge
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

You seem a tad picky about a few things .You can always find someone who will find something to complain about .

tyne and wear
Level Contributor
995 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

marky ........ what point i am i bit picky ?????

this was my 4th visit to dubai , i know what the standards should be

how would you like what could only be described as a brown thick liquid pouring out into your bathroom ??????

would you like to be questioned constantly about who you are in restaurants and made to look like you'd done something wrong ?????

maybe you standards are not that same as mine , i pay top money i expect good standards , if i wanted a shoddy room with shoddy service i would have went elsewhere other than dubai

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

I totally disagree with the above posting, when you pay madinat prices you expect top notch service, it sounds like some of the service goerdiegirll received was appalling.

We went to Al Qasr in 2006 and I vowed I'd never return as having stayed in over 20 hotels in dubai, I thought the service was one of the worst encountered. It's a beautiful l looking place but I think when it's running on full capacity, the service slips.

On a plus it sounds like it didn't spoil your holiday too much and the new hotel on The palm sounds fab.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

If i had got service like that my report would have been unprintable,

Im not surprised you were annoyed & your husband must have felt awfull,

When you pay them kinda prices you expect perfection..

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: back from the DAM today ....the good and the not so good ..

I agree with Hannah. Even if you were staying in a 3* hotel, you would still expect a level of service and being recognized/known would be one of the most basic. I would say you should write a review of the hotel. Frankly speaking, I personally would have been far more vocal in my displeasure over my treatment - you should write to Jumeirah management with your feedback. They obviously need to address this kind of thing in their staff training.