We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

Dallas
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

I will be in transit in Dubai arriving 6 pm on Dec 31, 2011 and leaving 2:30 am on Jan 1, 2012. I was planning to take my 2 kids to the Burj Khalifa top, have dinner, watch the fountains, watch fireworks (maybe) and head back.

How long will a taxi ride take that night to and fro from the airport ? I've heard that traffic could be heavy.

Any recommendations for causal dining with a view of fountains ?

Thanks.

Arlington VA
Level Contributor
161 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

I'm afraid no one is going to recommend traveling through Dubai on NYE. Maybe if you immediately left the airport and headed to the Burj Khalifa for a quick bite to eat at one of the many chain restaurants outside the mall you could watch a fountain show. I would then head right back to the airport as it could take a long, long time with traffic. No way would I recommend staying for the fireworks. Are you passing through Dubai on the return trip? That may provide a more quality experience of this area.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

I second that.

Dallas
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

Thank you for your response. The stopover in Dubai on 31st on my return was unintentional - it was the only schedule my travel agent could get me on for me and my family.

I think I'll skip the fireworks and let my kids savor being in the tallest building in the world. I plan on leaving BK aroumd 10 pm to head back to the airport. Is taxi the best way back or would taking the metro back to the Dubai airport be an option ? Any idea how long either option would take ?

Thanks.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

DO NOT ATTEMPT THOSE TIMINGS on any Saturday night let alone NYE , it will be madness to risk your flights but it is your call 2 residents say no and a fellow american advises against it.

I know it seems a great opportunity but be warned there are too many things to go wrong. Lines at immigration, traffic jams and then very large crowds.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,595 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

I agree, I wouldn't even leave it as late as 10pm, if you want my honest opinion I would avoid the area totally on NYE. I know it's a shame as you would like to see Burj Khalifa but you really are pushing it with your flights.

Perhaps go to Festival City Shopping Mall, there are some outdoor casual dining places, you will get a slight view over the creek towards the Burj. It is connected to the Intercon hotel (you will get a decent view from their pool deck but not sure if they let you wander up there on NYE).

Dallas
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

Thank you for the responses. I have to take my kids to BK, because they have studied about it and are looking forward to seeing it. However, I can make it a quick trip.

Based on the advice, I think I'll head back at 9pm from BK. That'll give me about 3 1/2 hours to make it back to the airport before the 12:30 am check-in time for my 2:30 am flight. Does that sound doable ?

Also, besides a taxi back, is metro back to Dubai airport an option ? Are there any alternative routes back besides Sheikh Zayed Rd ?

Thanks again for the responses.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

Are you planning to go to the BK viewing platform? If so, before you make any promises, I suggest you check the on-line booking system to see what times are available. After that you will be able to better assess the situation. If this is what you want to do, I say good luck to you and sincerely hope that you will be able to manage it. As for transport, you can take the metro, but you will need to get the feeder bus from Dubai Mall to the station. May I suggest you google NYE Burj Khalifa from last year and you may get an idea of the number of people who will be in that immediate area as I think you may feel we are exaggerating.

Dallas
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

Googled it and YIKES, the traffic jam around Dubai Mall at last year's NYE appears to have been horrendous. Even with the 3-4 hours cushion time I had, I am re-thinking BK visit for Dec 31. Thank you all for the cautionary advice.

Any other suggestions (besides Festival City Mall) where I could have a quick dinner, be able to get a glimpse of the BK building, and be able to get back to the airport by 12:30 am ? If there is place near the airport where I could see the fireworks from a distance that would be OK too.

Thanks again.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,595 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

Maybe I'm being exceptionally optimistic here but because of last years chaos on the roads and metro stations, a lot of people might stay away and it might not be as bad. Having said that I will not be taking any chances and will avoid the area at all costs!!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,021 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 hours in Dubai on Dec 31 ?

I think you have one chance to see it and that is as follows.

Leave the airport, which should be at around 7-715pm if the immigration queues are not too bad. Get in a licensed cab at the taxi rank and ask him to take you to the rear entrance of Dubai Mall by the Address Downtown hotel to the turning circle by the lake.

Ask him to wait, get out take your photos, watch a fountain show and then get back in the cab and go back to the airport. You will need to promise a large tip

DO NOT EVEN CONTEMPLATE STAYING IN THE BURJ KHALIFA AREA beyond 9pm