We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dubai to Muscat Oman

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Dubai to Muscat Oman

Hi, I am planning to drive from Dubai to Muscat Oman. Can anyone suggest the best route that may include must visit places in Oman?

I am planning a 2 days 1 night for this trip. Any suggestions?

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Dubai to Muscat Oman

You need to post this on the Oman forum.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
108 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Dubai to Muscat Oman

there is only one route and not many interesting things on the way. roundabouts till you reach muscat.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Dubai to Muscat Oman

Once you cross the border at Khor Kalban it is not a pretty drive. The road is a good fast 2 lane highway in both directions and is only broken by roundabouts as you reach a town. Including a border stop it is a good 5 hour drive from Dubai...some people say they have done it in less but they must have been going some. We stopped for a break on Sohar which is the town that "allegedly" Sinbad sailed from. It is now a huge place with a massive port. One of the towns as you get nearer to Muscat is called Barka. From here you can do a loop up to Nakhal where there is a fort you can visit and further into the village there is a hot spring where the locals love to gather and relax...well worth a detour maybe on the way home. I think the drive is shown in the Lonely Planet guide book. Closer to Muscat on your right you will see Sultan Qaboos Mosque which is open to the public in the mornings. Ladies must cover hair and shoulders. In Muscat itself go to Mutrah where there is a nice corniche and a huge covered souk. The old town is close-by where an old merchants house has been turned into a museum and you can also look at the "ultra modern" palace which to be honest did nothing for me.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Dubai to Muscat Oman

Make sure you have Oman insurance on your hire car for your trip. It's also worth noting that there are several places you may drive through whilst still in the UAE but that are actually Omani territory, for which the insurance would also be required.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Dubai to Muscat Oman

Thanks for the information. What are the worth noting places on the way tom Oman which still in UAE that you mentioned? I may want to stop by also.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,178 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Dubai to Muscat Oman

Just to add to to the info above about Sultan Qaboos Mosque. In terms of women having to cover up it's the strictest mosque I've been to - more so than any mosque in Iran which might be something of a surprse.

I turned up in an ankle length dress and had my arms covered to the wrists. The only parts of me visible were hands, neck, face and feet. I was not allowed entry because my ankles were slightly visible so I had to borrow my husband's socks and wear those during the visit.

So females have to cover up very well.

7. Re: Driving from Dubai to Muscat Oman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2013, 10:20