We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

London
Level Contributor
155 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

So I have just got back from my second visit to dubai, lat time I went was 2 years ago in July and I dont remember the taxi drivers being so miserable and rude. The best one is the refusal of taking me (and others from what I have read) to destinations that is under 15dhs.

I got this quite a bit, for instance I went to the marina mall, and was staying at the Marina byblos, which is only a 10min walk, however I had shopping, I mean waitrose shopping not lightweight pretty dresses or I would have walked back, and I got a look of such anger because I had such a short trip even though he could see the bags of shopping, the other one was I was at the marina walk, jonnny rockets to be precise which is quite a distance back to the byblos, alone with 2 kids one being aged 3 , half asleep at 10pm, and two taxi drivers refused to take me, the one that finally did explained that the taxi drivers do not like short trips, and this attitude especially seeing me as a single woman with kids at night is beyond me.

I was in the MOE and the woman in front of me went to get into the taxi, (she had lots of carrefour shopping) she told him where she wanted to go and he drove off, i asked what happened she said she has no clue, I asked if it was a close journey and she said reasonably so I can only assume this is why he just left her in the lurch, luckly the mall attendant took down the details.

I did say after my first visit I wouldnt go back (I prefer Abu dhabi) but as I found a cheap air fare i thought may as well, this business with the taxi drivers has ensured this recent trip will be my last. I did take the metro wherever possible to avoid the taxi drivers but sometimes this was not feasable...I thought the London minicab drivers were surly but Dubai is a totally different catergory.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Camel Company
Gift & Speciality Shops
Eaglerider Dubai
Gift & Speciality Shops, Equipment Hire
Spun Candy
Gift & Speciality Shops
La Cure Gourmande UAE
Gift & Speciality Shops
Dubai
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

From this mornings Gulf News

Dubai: Errant taxi drivers who are repeat offenders could end up losing their jobs unless they improve, traffic officials have warned.

The message was conveyed as an institute to train and qualify taxi drivers was recently inaugurated at the Roads and Transport Authority's (RTA) Dubai Taxi Corporation.

The Taxi Drivers Training and Qualification Centre, at the Dubai Taxi Corporation (DTC) head office in Muhaisnah 4, will train drivers to perform their duties better, officials said.

Anyone wanting to work as a taxi driver in Dubai will have to undergo training at the centre and get a certificate that qualifies them to work in the city, under a recent policy endorsed by Mattar Al Tayer, chairman of the board and executive director of the RTA.

Article continues below

Ambassadors

"Dubai Taxi Corporation attaches great importance to providing Dubai taxi drivers with special training and awareness, in accordance with the best international standards, since they are our ambassadors, who are on the front line, interacting with customers," Yousuf Al Ali, acting CEO of Dubai Taxi Corporation, said.

They will also implement a penalty regime that may go as far as terminating the services of drivers whose mistakes exceed the permissible levels, said Al Ali.

Drivers who are repeat offenders will be enrolled in a rehabilitation programme at the centre and once they complete this they will continue to be monitored. If they fail to improve their performance, a specially formed committee will decide what action to take, and this could result in termination of their job contract, Al Ali told Gulf News.

The centre aims at empowering the drivers to cope with challenges and difficulties encountered while performing their duties, he said.

The integrated training course offered to drivers, is accredited by the Knowledge and Human Development Authority, and includes 240 training hours of practical and theoretical lessons. It covers 26 topics such as safe driving, customer service, meter function, traffic accidents and offences. The centre is the first of its kind in the UAE.

"The centre will also ensure all taxi drivers in Dubai undergo standard training procedure," Al Ali added.

The new RTA policy is an effort to reduce traffic offences and accidents and to boost taxi users' satisfaction, Ahmad Hashim Behroozian, CEO of RTA's Licensing Agency and Head of DTC Supervisory Committee said

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Dubai Taxi
Dubai Taxi
3,179 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

Sounds like that's more to address issues with city knowledge and driving skill level than attitude.

I think most of the drivers would be horrified to read this thread and work hard to transport many different cultures, languages and attitudes around Dubai. It can't be nice to pick up at Barasti or Nasami on Saturday early AM!

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

I really wish they all reailsed they would make more money for being friendly. Some of their attitudes are horrific when you ask to go a distance under 20Dhs.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
686 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

I have never had any problems with the drivers and have had many short trips. I do tend to tip well on a shorter journey to make it worth the drivers while but they are not to know that at the start.

I thought there was a minimum charge so that short trips were not too small on the clock ?

I have always found them pleasant and helpful if you ask anything and there communication skills regarding language are much better then my own.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

As I said before never once had any problems with Dubai taxi drivers and I agree with Swiss above - that's to do with their driving skills and knowledge rather that attitude, and yes the drivers would be horrified to read this thread.

They put up with a lot of abuse from the public I would imagine..

Mentioned in this post
Dubai Taxi
Dubai Taxi
3,179 Reviews
16. Re: whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 January 2012, 12:05
Dubai
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

With all due respect to Siena, being 'willing' to let the AED 4 go, I am really shocked. I know AED 51 is a good fare but most of us would at least have given him AED 55, if not AED 60. I also have taxi issues, as my friends always tell me, but I know these guys work long hours, live in horrible places and most of them see their families only every couple of years, but when I think what AED 5 or 10 can buy me in comparison to what it can buy them, there is NO comparison. Goodness, my friends would never believe that I have come down on the side of the taxi driver haha. By the way everyone, each vehicle has a unique number clearly shown on the outside of the car. If you have a problem that you feel strongly about, write the number down and report the driver to the RTA.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

I'm guessing whoever removed my post has never been in a Dubai taxi in their life...

Mentioned in this post
Dubai Taxi
Dubai Taxi
3,179 Reviews
airtrainandplane
Level Contributor
738 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

I have never had a problem with taxi drivers on short trips. Give a little extra and everyones happy. When they have waited hours and its a 10 dirham fare its bound to be irritating and it happens worldwide.

The only problem I have had is the odd lecherous driver adjusting the rear view mirror to get a good angle! Even that is understandable as most of the unfortunate souls do not get near to a female, having said that some men would be happy to avoid females for a while,,,,,

Edited: 04 January 2012, 17:31
Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: whats up with the taxi drivers?!?

We found all the taxi drivers pleasant & very gratefull for the tips we gave them, & most were happy to chat. The only exception was on our last night, we were staying at the marina, had walked 40mins down the length of the marina, had dinner & were up at 3am for flight home so didn't fancy walk back. Had 2 taxi drivers refuse to take us & it was the 3rd attempt before we got one to take us...........we tipped him well.

Sylvia